Undigested Poops!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamace52

*LONG READ- SORRY! TRIED GIVING ALL THE INFORMATION I COULD GIVE!* :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hello! I am the mother of a baby boy named Dennis, who is about 4 months old. We got him early May, and he was about 7 in. then, and is now almost 12 inches long. About the last about 2 weeks he has been pooping what seems to be chunky poop that isn't entirely digested. (He poops 1-2 times a day)

Now this is my second beardie that I've had, the other one died of old age when he was 9 earlier this year, and I've learned alot over his lifetime :study: - including that sometimes something can go haywire, they get an upset stomach, or something gets caught along the way and poops can be a little abnormal sometimes. I waited it out, but his poops are slowly becoming more and more undigested, and more stiff and hard.
At first it was chunky, then I was seeing roach legs, then roach shells (with no inside, only shell) and his poop today revealed entire little bits of mustard greens (the same size i chopped them up in) roach shells, and even a few entire halves of roaches, with their little legs, heads, and insides intact. I haven't seen anything wriggling in his poops, and I can't tell very well if there is anything there that shouldn't be.

His protein diet consisted of crickets at first, then I quickly made the switch to roaches. We've had roaches most of the time we've had Dennis. Ordered from Josh's Frogs, and I go with the under 3/4 in. sizes. I lightly dust his roaches with Rep-Cal Calcium w/ D3, but I noticed the urate in his poop turned very very orange and rock hard, and I now only dust using calcium every other day or so. The Urate still now has orange at the beginning of the urate, just a little bit, but rest of it is white. I also dust with the Rep-Cal Herptivite once a week.
He almost never touches his greens. I replace his dish with fresh stuff once a day, and he probably only touches it once or twice a week. I give him small chopped pieces of Mustard greens, collard, green beans, peas, butternut squash. I haven't given him a ton of variety yet because he never eats it, so about 98% of the veggies I buy go into the trash! I am trying not to waste too much money on lots of different options at once :( I will also occasionally feed him butternut squash, peas, or green beans in a baby food version that has only the main ingredient and water, just to keep him hydrated since he is such a stubborn water drinker.

He consistently has a filled water dish in his tank, and I clean it every few days. I never notice him take any drinks, only walking through. He is a very stubborn drinker- I can barely even get him to drink water when I drip it onto his nose.

When he's actively shedding (which is almost always since he's still young) I bath him every other day in lukewarm water that he can stand in and covers him up to the top of his shoulders. When he's not shedding, I bathe him once every 3 days. (He has a very specific order that he sheds, it's hilarious! :lol: )

His tank dimensions are 3ft. 11 in. wide, 1ft. 10 in. deep, and 2 ft. tall. Wonky inbetween sizes, because this puppy was handmade! :lol: :wink: His UVB is right next to his heat bulb, which are both inside the tank. His UVB is about 1 ft. away from his "second level". I added that level so he wasn't too far from the bulb and got the correct exposure.
The UVB bulb is a Zoo-Med 10.0, bought and installed a few days prior to receiving the little guy. The heat bulb is a Zoo-Med 100 watt, with temps reaching 105-110 degrees Fahrenheit at the top of his basking log. The temps were taken with a zoo-med probe temperature gauge. The cool side is 85 degrees. The basking log I bought from petsmart, and I wish to change it to a non-porous basking log when I have the available funds because he only poops on the log, and it doesn't seem very sanitary because no matter how hard I scrub- poop may soak into the log :puke: . His substrate is stone tile, and the sides of his tank is made of reptisand sprinkled onto the wet paint when it was constructed years ago for my last beardie. It doesn't flake off at all, and kept my last beardies nails trimmed when he surfed, and never grinded them too far at all.

His temper hasn't changed much, he has only become less aggressive. When I first got him, I had to be sooo patient because he would puff up at me when I got close to him. :lol: He's active, I take him out 1-2 times a day supervised, after feeding him and giving him two hours to digest his food under his heat bulb.

My last boy had SUCH a hard time with getting his own poops out, I gave him frequent baths just to poop, and now this little one is having undigested poops. I gave all the info I could because I want my baby Dennis to be okay :cry: I need help to figure out what am I doing wrong, or have both of my babies been special cases?! :banghead: :shock: I haven't brought him to a vet because I live in an area where the vet only sees dogs, cats, farm animals, and other animals like that such as bunnies and ferrets... So the things they could do for him may be very limited. My budget is also limited, due to my husband getting fired from his job recently. There may be a reptile vet I could take him to, but it is likely at least two hours away, if not more. If I need to bring him in, I will borrow the money I need and help my baby Dennis.

Thanks so much in advance!!

(The top left you can see a roach shell with no insides- this poop was captured 5 days ago)

Here's his tank! He has a second level, a little piece of blanket creates a "hide" under the ramp he sleeps under every night, log, and hammock!

Here's my little one- Soaking up what little sunlight was coming through the window, so he turned his colors dark :lol: .

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It probably wouldn't hurt to bring a fresh sample to the vet to have it checked for parasites. They can usually be treated pretty easily if they are found in high counts. Your temps sound good and diet is good. As far as the basking log goes, rinse it well to get the solid bits off and then bake it in the oven for 30 min at around 250 or so. That should take care of sanitizing it when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom