Underweight Beardie

Asper

Beardie name(s)
Harry
Look it’s me being worried about baby Harry again 😅

She’s been underweight since I got her in early May. She’s never gotten much size increase in her fat pads no matter how much I feed her. She’s had one of her fat pads increase to being full (before returning sunken again after she refused to eat for a few days post strawberry incident) and has a regular body weight on most of her body and chunky lil arms and legs.

My only hypothesis is that maybe she might be dehydrated ? Her saliva is sticker than usual so I’m going to try and give her a bath tomorrow so she’ll drink some water but if anyone else has any ideas to fatten her up, let me know please.

Asper

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Harry
Have you had her tested for parasites?
She doesn’t have any symptoms that you’d see for parasites besides her weight, but if she gets worse / doesn’t improve I’ll make sure to take a stool sample to a reptile vet and get her de - worming as a precaution

Commissaar

She doesn’t have any symptoms that you’d see for parasites besides her weight, but if she gets worse / doesn’t improve I’ll make sure to take a stool sample to a reptile vet and get her de - worming as a precaution
Just a thought as mine had parasites when I first got her and she was similar to yours, quite slight and not good at putting on weight but otherwise didn't have symptoms.

If she seems dehydrated you can test by lightly pinch a skin crease and it should not hold the shape and return back to the body. I have found a spray bottle or dripping works for mine as she won't drink if she can't 'see' movement in the water.

Asper

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Harry
Yeah she’s definitely a bit dehydrated, she doesn’t like it when I spray her with water so I’m gonna see if giving her more frequent baths will help and if not then I’ll do the sample. Thank you !!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
To many baths can actually do harm.
I recommend using an eye dropper, drop a little on her snout and see if she will drink it. If not you can add a little none citrus fruit punch to give it flavor. Don't force the water in, and go slow. Let her lap it up at her own pace. Also don't squirt it in her mouth if she is gaping and unprepared, either could cause aspiration.

Asper

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Harry
I recommend using an eye dropper, drop a little on her snout and see if she will drink it. If not you can add a little none citrus fruit punch to give it flavor. Don't force the water in, and go slow. Let her lap it up at her own pace. Also don't squirt it in her mouth if she is gaping and unprepared, either could cause aspiration.
Will do, thank you so much !

Asper

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Harry
Your very welcome :)
Just an update on Harry !! I fed her some water with a baby spoon (because I feed her baby food with a baby food sometimes so she’s used to it) and she drank some and is already looking brighter and more alert !

Asper

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Harry
Just an update on Harry !! I fed her some water with a baby spoon (because I feed her baby food with a baby food sometimes so she’s used to it) and she drank some and is already looking brighter and more alert !
Baby spoon** I cannot spell today

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I'm glad you found something that works, they can be stubborn lil things

Asper

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Harry
Just a thought as mine had parasites when I first got her and she was similar to yours, quite slight and not good at putting on weight but otherwise didn't have symptoms.

If she seems dehydrated you can test by lightly pinch a skin crease and it should not hold the shape and return back to the body. I have found a spray bottle or dripping works for mine as she won't drink if she can't 'see' movement in the water.
After being hydrated and a new method of feeding her, she’s gaining weight and doing a lot better 😊 she’s more willing to eat her food if I move it around (especially her veggies)

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
What brand do you use?

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom