Two Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trogdor_1

Juvie Member
Question number 1: Neither my male nor my females have brumated. Does this matter for breeding? None of them have slowed down or stopped eating.

Question number 2: My older female has been bred before (with her previous owner) and seems to "know the drill" but my male has never been bred. They exchange some serious head bobbing and arm waving before my male attempts to breed. My female is very submissive about it but my male never flips her to actually "do the deed". Is it just his inexperience and he will figure it out? Or is something else going on?

Thanks for any help.

beardedwizard

Extreme Poster
It's as simple as brumation is helpful in rejuvenating their hormone levels making them more likely to breed, and yes the male will figure it out most likely... Most males do with the first 20 tries or so, and if he's attempting then you are in good shape. And finally they don't flip over when breeding, just the females tail is lifted by the male and he scoots his rear end under her's and the vents meet...

Anthony

gwoody

Our beardies didn't bruminate at all and they were happy to mate.

It also seems like it doesn't take them very long to "do the deed". They probably have mated and you just didn't notice unless you were watching the whole time (don't even leave them for 5 min.)

midnight_962002

Sub-Adult Member
Megan,

That is awesome that you are going to give breeding a try.

Like Anthony said. If you male is attempting to you have a good start. Sometimes it takes a little time for them to figure it out. But, once they do it shouldn't take them that long again.

Ernie

Trogdor_1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the replies! I'm hoping my guy figures it out soon. My female seems very... annoyed by him. lol.

Also, is it safe to leave them together for a while? Usually I put the male back in his own tank after several unsuccessful tries. Can they be housed together temporarily to breed?

midnight_962002

Sub-Adult Member
It all depends. I don't do it for two reasons. I want to know that it happened and my male will probably destroy any of the girls I have if I leave him in there. He is a big boy.

Some people do house them together for a period of time with the plans of getting eggs out of her. But, like I said before it is easier to get the lay date estimated if I know when he hooks up with her.

That said Kane will breed with my girls in a matter of minutes a couple of times when I put him in with them.

Ernie

gwoody

i will say i read and heard many horror stories about the damage the male can do to the female during the mating attempts. that kept me from letting them get together for quite a while as she is a very pretty tangerine beardy, who cost me more then a regular and I am quite fond of her, so I didn't want to see her seriously injured or scarred. Which is why I 'thought' I was watching them like a hawk when I did let them have their couple little dates. I just started out letting them have small amounts of very supervised visits . He didn't seem to be that agressive toward her tho definitely all the usual mating rituals were going on. I love to watch them do this, the head bobbing, arm waving, etc.. The female also turns her chin black not just the male tho he does it in a larger area and much darker. its like this really cool deep pearl black.
But serious about the 5 mins. cause thats all I did was run upstairs to get something and come back and there you have it! He did do the basic neck biting. She was red and a little raw around the back of her neck just after. I cleaned and treated the area once or twice w/ a grapefruit seed extract mixture , and it was all fine by the next day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LittleSofa
Top Bottom