Two month old beardie

I recently got a baby beardie, he’s about two months I’d say, we got him last weekend. He hasn’t been eating a lot. Maybe 1-3 bugs a day? I got the black soldier larva and bee pollen but he just isn’t real interested. His hot spot is around 105-110.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I recently got a baby beardie, he’s about two months I’d say, we got him last weekend. He hasn’t been eating a lot. Maybe 1-3 bugs a day? I got the black soldier larva and bee pollen but he just isn’t real interested. His hot spot is around 105-110.
Your hot spot is surface basking temps-- those need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer please-- the uvb is a coil or a long tube fixture ? These are crucial to him eating-- if any of this is off he will eventually quit eating-- right now he's going thru relocation stress so his eating will be off but we want him eating more and he will do that once he's acclimated to his tank and surroundings- and correct temps and uvb will do that- what size tank is he in?

PikoDragon82

Original Poster
Your hot spot is surface basking temps-- those need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer please-- the uvb is a coil or a long tube fixture ? These are crucial to him eating-- if any of this is off he will eventually quit eating-- right now he's going thru relocation stress so his eating will be off but we want him eating more and he will do that once he's acclimated to his tank and surroundings- and correct temps and uvb will do that- what size tank is he in?
It’s a long uvb. T8. 40 gal tank

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It’s a long uvb. T8. 40 gal tank
Are you using a Reptisun 10.0 brand? Those are really good UVB's --
The T 8 needs to be placed in the tank w/ no clear plastic cover over the bulb if there one- distance in the tank for the T 8 is 6-8 inches directly over your basking decor piece - If you want you can post some pic's of your little guy and his tank --

PikoDragon82

Original Poster
Here are some of his tank!

Attachments

• 0849D057-00AF-4E72-A7F9-6DB054DBDF36.jpeg
    0849D057-00AF-4E72-A7F9-6DB054DBDF36.jpeg
    187.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 40A20596-FF12-4650-8A79-9490A2C5AD74.jpeg
    40A20596-FF12-4650-8A79-9490A2C5AD74.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 675BDC65-17F6-4F58-9B39-17AD052F317D.jpeg
    675BDC65-17F6-4F58-9B39-17AD052F317D.jpeg
    333.6 KB · Views: 79

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Here are some of his tank!
Ok so the T 8 is in the tank-- please get a piece of decor directly under it 6-8 inches -- the bulb your using is what brand? It looks like a Zilla fixture the fixture is fine but not so much the bulb if that is what your using- is the tank a 40 gallon? If so I would recommend upgrading your UVB to a T 5 - you will need to get a new fixture as well -- your screen on the tank is good for placing the T 5 on top of it - you have a wide holed screen - if you would like links for some good fixtures and bulbs let me know I can post some for you- the UVB will need to be upgraded if you decide to get a bigger tank -- 75-120 gallon

PikoDragon82

Original Poster
Ok so the T 8 is in the tank-- please get a piece of decor directly under it 6-8 inches -- the bulb your using is what brand? It looks like a Zilla fixture the fixture is fine but not so much the bulb if that is what your using- is the tank a 40 gallon? If so I would recommend upgrading your UVB to a T 5 - you will need to get a new fixture as well -- your screen on the tank is good for placing the T 5 on top of it - you have a wide holed screen - if you would like links for some good fixtures and bulbs let me know I can post some for you- the UVB will need to be upgraded if you decide to get a bigger tank -- 75-120 gallon
This is the light I have but mine is a desert. He still is only eating like 6 bugs a day. Do you think he looks skinny?

Attachments

• 336518E7-06C2-4E78-BEB3-8491DC902627.jpeg
    336518E7-06C2-4E78-BEB3-8491DC902627.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 5B4632DC-1968-4F1A-A5FF-495770D041BA.jpeg
    5B4632DC-1968-4F1A-A5FF-495770D041BA.jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 8F82C79D-9DF1-42C9-AFE7-EB8252E3DC77.jpeg
    8F82C79D-9DF1-42C9-AFE7-EB8252E3DC77.jpeg
    222.8 KB · Views: 77

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
This is the light I have but mine is a desert. He still is only eating like 6 bugs a day. Do you think he looks skinny?
The fixture is fine take the clear plastic cover off tho and leave it off please get this bulb a reptisun 10.0 T 8-- this bulb needs to be unobstructed including the screen on the tank it needs to be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor- these bulbs are not strong enough to go thru screen- the reptisun bulb is a way better bulb-- if you need help getting this set up I can help you- please don't take him outside yet your gonna loose him- they are way to fast for you to catch - he needs time to acclimate to his tank and surroundings- he looks good now. He should be eating 20-25 crickets per feeding which would be 2-3 times per day along w/ fresh salads every morning- or if feeding dubias 10-15 per feeding please dust the insects w/ calcium d3 5x per week ONCE per feeding and vitamin w/ beta carotene ONCE per feeding 2 x per week -

klika

I have exactly the same issue, cute 2 month old citrus Hypo, just got it 5 days ago....
First day I fed him some mealworms as I did not have any crickets.
Next several days he was eating 3-4 crickets per day but he loves veggies, carrots and parsley. He eats more veggies than bugs.

Basking spot is around 100-110, I have one of these UVB bulbs, checked with UVB meter enclosure is between 40-130 microW/cm2

He seems to be ok, very active and running so fast .......

1651680683365.jpg

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I have exactly the same issue, cute 2 month old citrus Hypo, just got it 5 days ago....
First day I fed him some mealworms as I did not have any crickets.
Next several days he was eating 3-4 crickets per day but he loves veggies, carrots and parsley. He eats more veggies than bugs.

Basking spot is around 100-110, I have one of these UVB bulbs, checked with UVB meter enclosure is between 40-130 microW/cm2

He seems to be ok, very active and running so fast .......

View attachment 70129
Please replace the uvb w/ a long tube fixture-- it's just a matter of time before quits eating and becomes lethargic- these coils are inadequate and cause all kinds of health issues- 3-4 crickets per day in not enough - he should be eating 20-25 at one feeding w/ 2-3 feedings per day - it's great he's eating salads but he needs the protein as that is his main diet now-- I can help you w/ a good uvb as of now he is not able to absorb the calcium he is eating-- this is going to cause mbd please start your own thread

klika

What`s the problem with this UVB light as long as UVB meter gives me confirmations that I am getting right amount of UVB light.

I do not understand why different brand or bulb shape is important?

The breeder that I brought the dragon from is using similar coil bulbs , just different brand.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What`s the problem with this UVB light as long as UVB meter gives me confirmations that I am getting right amount of UVB light.

The breeder that I brought the dragon from is using similar coil bulbs , just different brand.
That is a shame --- he has no idea the start hes giving these baby dragons --- none for UVB rays -- not all meters are the same either ---

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug

They often they do not produce the right wavelength of UVB that is actually usable for them. They can also produce harmful UVC. Even if none of this is the case and it is giving off the correct UVB and you're readings are good in that spot, ultimately those bulbs don't provide enough coverage in the enclosure. There is the one spot where the light is that they can get UV and everywhere else they go in the tank will be not enough. Just like with heat, you want to be able to provide a gradient. You kind of want to have four zones in your tank: hot plus UVB, cool plus UVB, hot with lower UVB and cool with lower UVB. Coils just don't allow for this even if there are no other concerns with it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Here is a pic of a dragon that was under a coil for 6 years
1651683633730.jpg

This dragon has neurological problems -- he can not hold his head correctly and is always tilted --

klika

They often they do not produce the right wavelength of UVB that is actually usable for them. They can also produce harmful UVC. Even if none of this is the case and it is giving off the correct UVB and you're readings are good in that spot, ultimately those bulbs don't provide enough coverage in the enclosure. There is the one spot where the light is that they can get UV and everywhere else they go in the tank will be not enough. Just like with heat, you want to be able to provide a gradient. You kind of want to have four zones in your tank: hot plus UVB, cool plus UVB, hot with lower UVB and cool with lower UVB. Coils just don't allow for this even if there are no other concerns with it.
As far as coverage, whole area in the tank (quite small) is covered, UVB reading is the lowest in the corners around 40 mW/cm2 and gradually goes all the way up to 130-140 right below the light.
On the other hand, do they really need constant exposure to UVB whole day (10-12h)? That would equate to being exposed to Australian dessert sun for 10-12 h ...... I might be dead wrong here but I am just using common sense ...

As far as this particular bulb/brand, you might be right ....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom