Two DIY Ledges - Advice Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
Me and my boyfriend decided to make two different ledges for my two enclosures. We both have completely different ideas (his is better and I'll probably ask him to duplicate it for the second viv :roll: ) Let me know what you think, and if the materials we're using are safe!! I'm a little worried about the grout sealant we picked.

My design:

All the cut out pieces, some glued together.

I don't know if you can see on my crappy drawing, but it will have two sets of stairs on either end with two platforms and two hiding places underneath with a thinner platform running the length of the enclosure connecting the two platforms. I'm a little worried it's going to take up too much floor space, but we'll see.

My boyfriends design so far:

The materials we're using are various styrofoams (some being repurposed from the background that comes with the Exo Terra 36x18x18), heavy duty liquid nails, Design Color sanded grout (not premixed), and Du Pont Semi Gloss Grout Sealer and Finish. Are these ok to use? Once they are fully dried, will being under a heat lamp produce any kind of fumes? Just want to make sure before moving forward so that if we bought the wrong things they can be returned and we can get the safe materials.

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
My design so far. I think I might make the platform on the left shorter, and I think I have to raise the UVB a little. Is it bad to have so many shaded areas? And are the platforms too high for a baby if she were to jump off?

And still wondering if my materials are all safe if anyone has an idea! Thanks! :)

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yeah, i'm going to raise it. Any idea if the grout and sealant I have is safe?

Lumpdog450

Hatchling Member
I would use only what lizard-landscapes suggests. Thats what I did with mine because I didn't want to take any chances.

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Lizard Landscapes lists these materials in their beginner rock project:

Polystyrene(styrofoam)
Liquid nails
Knife
Non-sanded grout (white is the cheapest)
Cement color
Acrylic paint
A dollar store water bottle
Non-toxic all surface sealant
fine grain sand

No Mod Podge is listed. I have sanded grout instead of unsanded, so no fine grain sand. They also don't list a brand of surface sealant, so I'm still wondering if mine is alright to use.

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Or I guess I could just return it and get some Mod Podge. Is the gloss ok to use?

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yeah, I saw that he says that even the matte tends to still be glossy. I guess I'll go out and try to find some mod podge. I don't want to start using random sealers since that's whas going to be directly under the basking lights. I don't want to risk there being fumes or anything. How long did you let yours air out before putting it in the viv?

Lumpdog450

Hatchling Member
Katie007":2c3e0s2x said:
Yeah, I saw that he says that even the matte tends to still be glossy. I guess I'll go out and try to find some mod podge. I don't want to start using random sealers since that's whas going to be directly under the basking lights. I don't want to risk there being fumes or anything. How long did you let yours air out before putting it in the viv?

I think a day...if you search the DIY section I posted pics of mine

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Did you also let it dry a day in between layers of grout? I think that's what the website says to do, but that seems like a long time.

Lumpdog450

Hatchling Member
Katie007":8tznmng2 said:
Did you also let it dry a day in between layers of grout? I think that's what the website says to do, but that seems like a long time.

yea a day or two in between layers of grout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom