Twitching, blindness, muscle spasms and weird posture - 2 years old Rhaegar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharp852

Hello,

Once again I'm coming to you all on the forum for an advice.
Rhaegar is 2y old male, with Trans het Hypo genes. He was always pretty active, dominant, couldn't stand even a bad look at him, basically a great "wild" type of bearded dragon.
He is in big enough enclosure(100x50x50) with proper lighting (ProT5 measured with Solarmeter, basking light and fullspectrum linear tube)

My concern is that a out 2-3 months ago he tried to go into brumation, after which he woke up about a month later. Thing is I've noticed that suddenly his movement is pretty clunky with his front body being pushed down to the substrate and his back legs with tail pushed up in the air - almost like he would stand "downhill".
Alongside that he also experience twitches all the time he moves, what is making him move like "1 step forward and 2 steps back"; alongside some visible spasms in his thighs on back legs.
Also I'm pretty sure he's 90% blind, because he doesn't react to movement at all, even when pointing finger in front of eyes at alarming distance in which normal beardie would close his eyes.
His appetite is none on his own, doesn't even try to eat veggies probably because he cannot see them and sometimes try to catch a dubia if I move it in very specific location on front of him, but his aim is pretty bad so most of the times he misses, and if not his tongue isn't "sticky" enough? ...to actually grab into said insect.
I tried giving him liquid calcium with vitamins, also separate B Complex and nothing seemed to help.

Does anyone have any clue what could all of this mean, and mainly if I can help him and probably reverse those problems?

Attachments

• 20210530_170432.jpg
    20210530_170432.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 148
  • 20210508_194809.jpg
    20210508_194809.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 125

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello,

Once again I'm coming to you all on the forum for an advice.
Rhaegar is 2y old male, with Trans het Hypo genes. He was always pretty active, dominant, couldn't stand even a bad look at him, basically a great "wild" type of bearded dragon.
He is in big enough enclosure(100x50x50) with proper lighting (ProT5 measured with Solarmeter, basking light and fullspectrum linear tube)

My concern is that a out 2-3 months ago he tried to go into brumation, after which he woke up about a month later. Thing is I've noticed that suddenly his movement is pretty clunky with his front body being pushed down to the substrate and his back legs with tail pushed up in the air - almost like he would stand "downhill".
Alongside that he also experience twitches all the time he moves, what is making him move like "1 step forward and 2 steps back"; alongside some visible spasms in his thighs on back legs.
Also I'm pretty sure he's 90% blind, because he doesn't react to movement at all, even when pointing finger in front of eyes at alarming distance in which normal beardie would close his eyes.
His appetite is none on his own, doesn't even try to eat veggies probably because he cannot see them and sometimes try to catch a dubia if I move it in very specific location on front of him, but his aim is pretty bad so most of the times he misses, and if not his tongue isn't "sticky" enough? ...to actually grab into said insect.
I tried giving him liquid calcium with vitamins, also separate B Complex and nothing seemed to help.

Does anyone have any clue what could all of this mean, and mainly if I can help him and probably reverse those problems?
Does he sit under the UVB? It sounds like he has MBD and I cant tell if the fixture has a reflector or not -- the bulb is very good how old is it? --- how are you getting basking temps? I see no digital probe thermometer or stick ons-- and how are you getting humidity levels? He should be getting calcium D3 at least one or twice a week and regular calcium w/ no phosphorus 3 times a week w/ some vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week --- I would recommend a different substrate for him -- is he able to eat out of the white bowl in the tank ?

Sharp852

Original Poster
Does he sit under the UVB? It sounds like he has MBD and I cant tell if the fixture has a reflector or not -- the bulb is very good how old is it? --- how are you getting basking temps? I see no digital probe thermometer or stick ons-- and how are you getting humidity levels? He should be getting calcium D3 at least one or twice a week and regular calcium w/ no phosphorus 3 times a week w/ some vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week --- I would recommend a different substrate for him -- is he able to eat out of the white bowl in the tank ?
His does, occasionaly right now because he is still in his mid-brumation state. Many times he falls asleep under it and bask under italready in the morning.
You cannot see UVB from this picture sorry, UVB is mounted on the mesh with cut out hole so there is no mesh or anything, and also imaging a build-in reflector of Arcadia ProT5 fixture. Bulb ist about 9 month old, right now on his basking height it's getting about 4UVI, I wanted to change it when spring comes.
To be honest I don't measure humidity levels in any of my enclosures because they have been pretty constant in 30-40% across all of them, so I stopped using hygrometer at all. Temps are about 43-46c on basking platform and connected to thermostat set to 30c.
For supplementation I was using Arcadia EarthPro range, but right now I settled for a liquid calcium and vitamins from Drache613 I got for the other bearded dragon.
Also right not I'm not using that white bowl anymore because as he doesn't see he doesn't even go there, neither for greens, so I basically have to hand feed him. But before all of those symptoms he didn't have any problem eating from it at all.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
His does, occasionaly right now because he is still in his mid-brumation state. Many times he falls asleep under it and bask under italready in the morning.
You cannot see UVB from this picture sorry, UVB is mounted on the mesh with cut out hole so there is no mesh or anything, and also imaging a build-in reflector of Arcadia ProT5 fixture. Bulb ist about 9 month old, right now on his basking height it's getting about 4UVI, I wanted to change it when spring comes.
To be honest I don't measure humidity levels in any of my enclosures because they have been pretty constant in 30-40% across all of them, so I stopped using hygrometer at all. Temps are about 43-46c on basking platform and connected to thermostat set to 30c.
For supplementation I was using Arcadia EarthPro range, but right now I settled for a liquid calcium and vitamins from Drache613 I got for the other bearded dragon.
Also right not I'm not using that white bowl anymore because as he doesn't see he doesn't even go there, neither for greens, so I basically have to hand feed him. But before all of those symptoms he didn't have any problem eating from it at all.
Ok so the distance for the UVB is 12-15 inches --- make sure that is the distance - I am not really sure whats going on here we need Tracie to chime in here ----

Sharp852

Original Poster
Ok so the distance for the UVB is 12-15 inches --- make sure that is the distance - I am not really sure whats going on here we need Tracie to chime in here ----
Actually I already messaged her privately because we've been already pretty extensively discussing the other bearded dragon; but I placed a new thread here just to know what others have to say about this situation too because she's pretty busy.
Actually I'm using 6% T5 there so distance is little less than your saying, but thanks to Solarmeter I'm still able to place it at the right spot so new tube is at 6UVI and when it drops to 4 I just replace it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Actually I already messaged her privately because we've been already pretty extensively discussing the other bearded dragon; but I placed a new thread here just to know what others have to say about this situation too because she's pretty busy.
Actually I'm using 6% T5 there so distance is little less than your saying, but thanks to Solarmeter I'm still able to place it at the right spot so new tube is at 6UVI and when it drops to 4 I just replace it.
Next tube replacement I would recommend a 10.0 bulb --- I am no good w/ the solar meters CooperDragon can help you w/ that one --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom