Turning Black when put back in tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

redborzoi

Beardie name(s)
Speck
My 9 week old bearded dragon turned very black today after I put him back in his tank and hid in his sleeping place. Blacker then i’ve ever seen him turn. I was handling him for 5 minutes like normal, and he wasn’t black until I put him back in his tank + hid on his stick he sleeps on. Did I do something wrong , is this any cause for concern? He has been acting fine all day.

https://ibb.co/88JryYx

I’m a new beardie owner so I freak about every little thing haha, I just want him to be okay. I’ve been handling him every couple days for 5 minutes to get him used to me, but he still seems to prefer his tank to being out with me. Although i can’t really tell.

Also- any tips for getting him to eat greens? He’s barely eaten any since I first adopted him , i tried putting BSFL in his salad but he ate those and not the salad. The only thing I’ve seen him eat out of his salad occasionally was butternut squash pieces.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The UVB is a brand and bulb please? And the fixture I can see a little bit does it have a reflector and a cover over the bulb -- basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- I would let him acclimate to the tank and his surroundings -- let him alone for a few days and then start again w/ the handling for 5 min in the tank - keep on the w/ BSFL the butternut squash is good you are on a start w/ the veggies - you will need to keep trying w/ stuff he will eat as far as veggies

redborzoi

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Speck
KarrieRee":2h8127ut said:
The UVB is a brand and bulb please? And the fixture I can see a little bit does it have a reflector and a cover over the bulb -- basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- I would let him acclimate to the tank and his surroundings -- let him alone for a few days and then start again w/ the handling for 5 min in the tank - keep on the w/ BSFL the butternut squash is good you are on a start w/ the veggies - you will need to keep trying w/ stuff he will eat as far as veggies

reptisun T5 - it has a self made foil reflector- it’s temporary as he’s moving into another enclosure soon, what are other good options to get him to eat veggies and fruit?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
small super worms like 1-3 top of salads along w/ the BSFL - small horn worms like 2 they can be found at www.dubiaroaches.com -- how close is the T 5 you want it 12-15 inches directly above basking decor - anything closer that 12 is too close - fruit should be fed occasionally - his main diet is the bugs so if you can get him eating his veggies even a little thats good

redborzoi

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Speck
KarrieRee":2s1uhlec said:
small super worms like 1-3 top of salads along w/ the BSFL - small horn worms like 2 they can be found at http://www.dubiaroaches.com -- how close is the T 5 you want it 12-15 inches directly above basking decor - anything closer that 12 is too close - fruit should be fed occasionally - his main diet is the bugs so if you can get him eating his veggies even a little thats good
sorry just double checked- uvb is a T8 and is 8 or so inches above his basking spot- i will try to feed him the veggies more often and see if he’ll take them- just want to make sure the lack of veggies isn’t going to damage him in the long run

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
This will give you a handle on how the T8 needs to be from the basking spot
How-to-read-the-graph-for-p.png

T8 10% in reflector hood :
14x10/12 = 12cm to 17x10/12 = 14cm from basking spot is ideal for a bearded dragon . 8" is too far.

Based on behavior
- suggest double checking all tank zone and basking spot temperatures <== going dark all over indicates too cool
- can also mean not impressed about you stopping cuddles when dragon is not ready to go back.

redborzoi

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Speck
whimperr":34q7235y said:
KarrieRee":34q7235y said:
small super worms like 1-3 top of salads along w/ the BSFL - small horn worms like 2 they can be found at http://www.dubiaroaches.com -- how close is the T 5 you want it 12-15 inches directly above basking decor - anything closer that 12 is too close - fruit should be fed occasionally - his main diet is the bugs so if you can get him eating his veggies even a little thats good
sorry just double checked- uvb is a T8 and is 8 or so inches above his basking spot- i will try to feed him the veggies more often and see if he’ll take them- just want to make sure the lack of veggies isn’t going to damage him in the long run
kingofnobbys":34q7235y said:
This will give you a handle on how the T8 needs to be from the basking spot
How-to-read-the-graph-for-p.png

T8 10% in reflector hood :
14x10/12 = 12cm to 17x10/12 = 14cm from basking spot is ideal for a bearded dragon . 8" is too far.

Based on behavior
- suggest double checking all tank zone and basking spot temperatures <== going dark all over indicates too cool
- can also mean not impressed about you stopping cuddles when dragon is not ready to go back.

temperatures are -
basking rock 110F
cool side 81F
humidity 49%
distance of uvb to basking spot 14-15 cm

he is in his cool side / sleeping spot again an hour sooner then usual- severe stress marks but not as bad as yesterday- not sure what i’m doing wrong besides the distance of UVB-

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
There should be NO cover over the UVB bulb if there take it off -- then make sure your distance is 6-8 inches -- get that straightened out and then go from there see if he quits turning black - how long does he bask under the basking bulb?

redborzoi

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Speck
KarrieRee":p9c1sxo5 said:
There should be NO cover over the UVB bulb if there take it off -- then make sure your distance is 6-8 inches -- get that straightened out and then go from there see if he quits turning black - how long does he bask under the basking bulb?
there is no cover- he usually basks under his bulb most of the day sometimes moving positions and moving from the rock to the log to thermo regulate-

he has never gone to the cool side except the past two days- 2 hours sooner then he usually does- most of the time a hour before his lights are timed to shut off he goes to his cool side to sleep -

i will get a taller basking spot that gets closer to the uvb and see if that helps -

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
whimperr":29orqs1v said:
KarrieRee":29orqs1v said:
there is no cover- he usually basks under his bulb most of the day sometimes moving positions and moving from the rock to the log to thermo regulate-

he has never gone to the cool side except the past two days- 2 hours sooner then he usually does- most of the time a hour before his lights are timed to shut off he goes to his cool side to sleep -

i will get a taller basking spot that gets closer to the uvb and see if that helps -

He's staying there because he senses he needs to BECAUSE UVA & UVB flux he is getting @ the basking spot is inadequate for him metabolize .

Double check the temp @ the basking spot, if he's staying there it's under the Preferred Body Temp , should be 97 to 100 degF @ basking spot NO HOTTER. ( this will boost his metabolism and coax him to thermoregulate ( move from warm to cool regularly ).

How are your measuring the basking spot temperature?
Tell us the kit and your procedure (in detail).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom