Tumor in throat? Normal throat?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She went to the vet just a day or so ago, & did they give her treatment for infection, etc?
How is she doing, what type of concerning issues have developed?

Tracie

Commissaar

Original Poster
Hello,

She went to the vet just a day or so ago, & did they give her treatment for infection, etc?
How is she doing, what type of concerning issues have developed?

Tracie
Tracie! You are a godsend. I worry so much about my baby so your advice is always welcomed.

I detailed it in the thread I linked as I didn't want to wake up a dormant one, but it was very long so I'll be as concise as I can:

She was prescribed marbocyl 0.14ml every other day for 3 weeks on October 1st (when I say she went to the vet I meant after my original post - sorry!)

It's week 2 of treatment and she has no improvement, keeps falling over in weird positions and seemingly not having the energy to right herself. I came home the other day to her on her back, belly up. I thought she was dead. She wasn't, and oddly wasn't distressed. She had a beautiful coloured beard and seemed very happy when I righted her.

Yesterday a concerning white film appeared on the outside of her lips. Unless its the solid sediment from the medication which I give her through a syringe, (I hope) I'm scared it's either an opportunistic fungal infection due to antibiotics, or the original infection isn't getting any better or isn't bacterial, and this is more mucus from that. I've attached pics, it looks kind of like stuck shed but it is completely different texture wise almost like little dried flakes of paper with bubbling, it is not skin or scales.

I'm not sure if I should wait another week until the course ends or take her back sooner rather than later. I get a little paranoid but I love her so much.

Attachments

• 20221015_071655.jpg
    20221015_071655.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 20221015_071620.jpg
    20221015_071620.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sorry to hear these developments, did she start falling over after the marbocyl ? I wonder if she's possibly allergic [ intolerant ] of it ? Just like human drugs can bring on sudden strange side effects in a small number of people. Are you positive of the amount your'e giving her ? Maybe Tracie will have some helpful input. The white on the lips just may be from the meds., they can cause sticky saliva sometimes or it might be a slight fringe of shed.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor girl, sorry to hear she was on her back! That is scary when that happens.
I agree, sometimes they have bad reactions to the Marbocyl or other medications for some reason.
If she has gotten worse since starting the meds, then I would cease the medication for awhile & try
to detox her if you can to see if that helps out.
Her beard hasn't been dark though so far?
I can double check the dose if you need? I agree with AHBD, the mouth area looks fine, it appears to
be just some saliva on her gum area which happens often. Is her mouth getting ready to shed or not?
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Commissaar

Original Poster
Sorry to hear these developments, did she start falling over after the marbocyl ? I wonder if she's possibly allergic [ intolerant ] of it ? Just like human drugs can bring on sudden strange side effects in a small number of people. Are you positive of the amount your'e giving her ? Maybe Tracie will have some helpful input. The white on the lips just may be from the meds., they can cause sticky saliva sometimes or it might be a slight fringe of shed.
Hello,

Poor girl, sorry to hear she was on her back! That is scary when that happens.
I agree, sometimes they have bad reactions to the Marbocyl or other medications for some reason.
If she has gotten worse since starting the meds, then I would cease the medication for awhile & try
to detox her if you can to see if that helps out.
Her beard hasn't been dark though so far?
I can double check the dose if you need? I agree with AHBD, the mouth area looks fine, it appears to
be just some saliva on her gum area which happens often. Is her mouth getting ready to shed or not?

Tracie
Thanks to you both!

I am positive of the amount I am giving her - in fact I am so scared of potential problems that I'm probably a little short each time on her dose.

The falling over has not suddenly started with the marbocyl, but it seems to be more frequent. I've found her in weird 'fallen' poses before but never on her back, which was since marbocyl. No black bearding at all - she is always such a happy and content beardie. (She absolutely can black beard - she was not happy when the vet cut one of her nails too short!!) If you would double check the dose I would be insanely grateful!

What I perceived as worsening was the falling, and the film around the mouth which I thought might be an infection spreading but if that's not what's happening here then it seems more so that she just isn't really getting any better, still gaping with infrequent nasal discharge, and it's definitely not helping her appetite. Do you think it's still worth stopping the meds? She has around a week left. Regardless I think we are going back to the vet after the week is up. Thank you so much for the advice both!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Has her balance gotten worse, or still about the same?
I don't think there is any mouth infection going on, is the mouth looking any better? Did you try any
raw unpasteurized honey on the mouth?
I will check this thread later, so I can double check the dose of Marbocyl. What is her bodyweight,
estimated & do you know the percentage or strength of the solution?

Thanks,
Tracie

Commissaar

Original Poster
Hello,

Has her balance gotten worse, or still about the same?
I don't think there is any mouth infection going on, is the mouth looking any better? Did you try any
raw unpasteurized honey on the mouth?
I will check this thread later, so I can double check the dose of Marbocyl. What is her bodyweight,
estimated & do you know the percentage or strength of the solution?

Thanks,
Tracie
It's hard to tell if her balance has got worse, but I would say maybe mildly. I have not tried the honey I will get some ASAP.

Her body weight is about 490g. Here is a photo of the prescription the solution is 200mg but I'm not sure of the percentage or if that helps, redacted personal info/address.

Attachments

• 20221019_121118.jpg
    20221019_121118.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 57

Commissaar

Original Poster
Just wanted to update on this.
After no improvement went back to vet and they said she has heart issues. Her lungs are completely clear but she still has fluid and is struggling to breathe hence why she opens her mouth, as her heart is making her feel breathless. White blood cells slightly elevated. Vet prescribed vetmedin 5mg 0.12 ml and an antibiotic for a month, aIthromycin 200mg/5ml - 15 ml every other day. Will update. Small mass in bowels as has not been pooping, vet did not think it was a severe impaction and should be solved with daily baths. Does anyone have experience with these meds, @Drache613 sorry to ping but I know you have some medical expertise

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The Azithromycin is a good antibacterial/antimicrobial agent for infections. She is being given this
for the possible respiratory infection? The vetmedin is given for heart issues or heart failure.
Does the vet feel she has heart failure conditions?
I hope that he is feeling better soon. That cannot be pleasant for her to still be having trouble with
her breathing right now.
Are you keeping her warmer overnight right now? That can help boost her immune system while
she isn't feeling very well.

Tracie

Commissaar

Original Poster
Hello,

The Azithromycin is a good antibacterial/antimicrobial agent for infections. She is being given this
for the possible respiratory infection? The vetmedin is given for heart issues or heart failure.
Does the vet feel she has heart failure conditions?
I hope that he is feeling better soon. That cannot be pleasant for her to still be having trouble with
her breathing right now.
Are you keeping her warmer overnight right now? That can help boost her immune system while
she isn't feeling very well.

Tracie
Yes, the antibiotic was for in case she has an infection as blood tests were done, her white blood cells were slightly elevated.

The vet did a x Ray and ultrasound. Her lungs were completely clear but her heart was enlarged and she suspected heart issues. The vet said she thinks that her struggling to breathe is possibly due to heart failure, so she prescribed vetmedin to see if improvement in 3 weeks.

It's good that you have heard of these medicines, my exotic vet has lots of experience but I still worry about her and the stuff I'm giving her. I know they can be sensitive.

She has a ceramic heat emitter for heat at night. She's also getting daily warm baths, the vet recommended this as very slight impaction, but I'm sure this is because of her lethargy and not wanting to eat much at the moment.

Thanks so much for replying! I will update.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom