Tumor in throat? Normal throat?

Commissaar

Hi. This is scaley she is around 6 years old. Recently she has started gaping and holding her mouth open almost all the time. Like at least 60% of the time. Her appetite is fine and I've not noticed wheezing, black beard or lethargy. She is still eating and has energy to run and dig sometimes, alwaus seems happy and no black beard. However this gaping is worrying me.

I look inside and I feel like the yellow thing could be a tumor? She has previously been to the vet as she has always gaped a lot, the vet did tests and she had no infection and mri/scan was fine too. Does this look like an issue or is it just normal beardy stuff? I don't want to stress her out with the vet unless it's necessary.
20220906_155104.jpg
20220906_155036.jpg
20220906_155102.jpg

Commissaar

Original Poster
Hi. This is scaley she is around 6 years old. Recently she has started gaping and holding her mouth open almost all the time. Like at least 60% of the time. Her appetite is fine and I've not noticed wheezing, black beard or lethargy. She is still eating and has energy to run and dig sometimes, alwaus seems happy and no black beard. However this gaping is worrying me.

I look inside and I feel like the yellow thing could be a tumor? She has previously been to the vet as she has always gaped a lot, the vet did tests and she had no infection and mri/scan was fine too. Does this look like an issue or is it just normal beardy stuff? I don't want to stress her out with the vet unless it's necessary.
View attachment 73716 View attachment 73717 View attachment 73718
I have attached picture of her 'gaping' and also her nose as I thought the shed could be causing her to want to breathe through her mouth. She otherwise is bright and healthy.

Attachments

• 20220906_155915.jpg
    20220906_155915.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 20220906_155908.jpg
    20220906_155908.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 20220719_153805.jpg
    20220719_153805.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 92

Commissaar

Original Poster
Thanks for looking and pinging someone I appreciate it. Now you mention it does look swollen but I considered it from the shed. I never thought about that. Thanks for everyone's help, I love her so much and will get her to a vet ASAP if she needs it

parodyofagirl

Hatchling Member
I’m not sure if this is related but there appears to be a red and inflamed spot on the roof of the inside of her mouth on the same side that that has what appears to be nasal discharge.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, the back area of Scaley's throat looks a bit swollen in the second pic but sometimes it can depend on if they were puffing out that area while you were taking these pics. Did the vet have a good look in there ? And I also noticed the red spot that Parodygirl mentioned. Be sure that your vet has a really good look in there. Is that nostril slightly swollen from the outside compared to the other side ?
Scaley sure is a pretty + sweet looking girl. :)

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
I’m not sure if this is related but there appears to be a red and inflamed spot on the roof of the inside of her mouth on the same side that that has what appears to be nasal discharge.
I see that now that you point it out.

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
I have attached picture of her 'gaping' and also her nose as I thought the shed could be causing her to want to breathe through her mouth. She otherwise is bright and healthy.
Thanks for looking and pinging someone I appreciate it. Now you mention it does look swollen but I considered it from the shed. I never thought about that. Thanks for everyone's help, I love her so much and will get her to a vet ASAP if she needs it
No prob. Is the vet your going to an exotic pet vet? Just curious

Commissaar

Original Poster
Hi there, the back area of Scaley's throat looks a bit swollen in the second pic but sometimes it can depend on if they were puffing out that area while you were taking these pics. Did the vet have a good look in there ? And I also noticed the red spot that Parodygirl mentioned. Be sure that your vet has a really good look in there. Is that nostril slightly swollen from the outside compared to the other side ?
The vet looked around her mouth with a torch and said it looked okay, this was a few weeks ago but her gaping has got worse since. This red spot appears to be new since then. I will take her back and have them examine that. The nostrils are both shaped similarly I think but I'll get a good look at both of them tomorrow as she is asleep now! Thanks for your knowledge. She is the sweetest thing.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Her snout looks pre-shed, so that usually causes some swollen appearance.
I think the back of the throat looks pretty normal. Is she having any trouble with swallowing
or eating?

Tracie

Commissaar

Original Poster
This morning I was able to get a good look at her nose. She shed some of her face mask so her nose looks as it would normally. The one you said is swollen also looks a bit swollen to me, I can see the inside of the membrane almost if that makes sense? Maybe there is something in her mouth causing inflammation on that side? I will book her in with the vet on Friday as its the soonest I can. Hopefully she is OK. I added some photos, the 'swollen' one is the last two pics, you can see how depending on how she breathes the inside of the nostril almost looks blocked up. Aside from the gaping she is such a happy girl. Thanks so much for help once again

Attachments

• 20220907_105248.jpg
    20220907_105248.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 20220907_105220.jpg
    20220907_105220.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 20220907_105150.jpg
    20220907_105150.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 20220907_105159.jpg
    20220907_105159.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 69

Commissaar

Original Poster
Hello,

Her snout looks pre-shed, so that usually causes some swollen appearance.
I think the back of the throat looks pretty normal. Is she having any trouble with swallowing
or eating?

Tracie
She does not have any issues with eating atm, she eats happily. Recently I do notice that I can see food she's just eaten in the back of her throat. she will eat a locust, and then she will gape while basking afterwards and I will see the locust in the back of her throat, but I'm not sure if that's normal. She doesn't choke or seem distressed from this. Thanks for advice!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's great she is doing well & eating too. Does she chew her food up completely or not? Sometimes
if they don't chew up their food very well it might have a tendency to sit in the back of their throat to some
extent. Be sure the insects are more on the smaller side just to be cautious.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Commissaar

Original Poster
Sometimes she does just gulp it down rather than crush it completely so that could be why. She is acting happy today as usual just the extra gaping still. Even tho no other signs of distress gonna book in at the vet early next week as that's the next appt I can get, will let people know how it goes in case anyone has a similar scaly baby going through these symptoms.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom