Trying new food

Beardie name(s)
Mushu
Hello i would like to try to give Mushu BSFL, i know they are good for Beardies but...
-im not sure how many to give him
-how to store them
-are they a treat

He has tried Hornworms but doesnt go crazy over them. Loves Superworms, Dubias, and mealworms.
Id love other suggestions on what to try with him. Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello i would like to try to give Mushu BSFL, i know they are good for Beardies but...
-how to store them
-are they a treat

He has tried Hornworms but doesnt go crazy over them. Loves Superworms, Dubias, and mealworms.
BSFL are a staple feeder - great for babies and a good compliment to dubias- they are a small larvae so it would depend on if your feeding solely as a staple or w/ another staple as far as amounts- I fed dubias and BSFL to Blaze when he was a baby - they were fed on top of his salads around 20 25 of them first in the morning then about a hr later I fed his dubias - depending on how many he ate at the first feeding would determine how many dubias he ate -

shmoomunchkin

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Scooby
-how to store them
-are they a treat

I keep a small cup of BSFL in my beardies cage every morning. I have a camera in my cage, and he feeds on them when he wakes up in the morning, then takes a couple collard greens. The camera views are really stellar...I would never have known that he was eating his greens without it.

Enitnelav

Beardie name(s)
Enzo
My beardie is a little over a year. We got him
around four months and I’ve fed him BSFL since day one.
When he was little he had 30 or so 2x a day and now he gets about 25 to 30 1x a day. He is given a massive amount of greens every morning.
I buy them by the 1,000 and have always just kept them in the cup they come in.
I personally soak them in water before feeding him because it removes the substrate they come in and I feel it helps up his water intake.
They are very good for your beardie and you can give it to them as a part of their regular diet. They do not need to be dusted with calcium.
He has tried hornworms these last few months (just for a treat) and this week had super worms for the first time (again as a treat) my daughter said he went crazy over them lol.
We are very lucky that he’s obsessed with greens. His favorites are turnip greens and mustard greens. He likes loves carrots. He enjoys the occasional bites of apples, blueberries, and strawberries. He’s afraid of raspberries 🤣

Last edited:

loveminimouse1

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mushu
I tried the BSFL and he didn’t care for them. 😪 he’s obsessed with arugula lately and his dubias. He does LOVE super worms and meal worms. I honestly think he’d fight anyone for them. I’ve noticed also he doesn’t care for strawberries or any type of berry besides blueberries. He doesn’t care for carrots or peppers. i have even tried sweet potato and he gave me a stank eye when I snuck it in when he was chewing his arugula. I think I got a super picky boy. He’ll eat squash but doesn’t obsess for it. Also… he’ll only touch his greens if they are dusted with calcium.
What other veggies would be a good idea to try on him?
I can not find any cactus leaves at my local stores.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I tried the BSFL and he didn’t care for them. 😪 he’s obsessed with arugula lately and his dubias. He does LOVE super worms and meal worms. I honestly think he’d fight anyone for them. I’ve noticed also he doesn’t care for strawberries or any type of berry besides blueberries. He doesn’t care for carrots or peppers. i have even tried sweet potato and he gave me a stank eye when I snuck it in when he was chewing his arugula. I think I got a super picky boy. He’ll eat squash but doesn’t obsess for it. Also… he’ll only touch his greens if they are dusted with calcium.
What other veggies would be a good idea to try on him?
I can not find any cactus leaves at my local stores.
You can order prickly pear cactus pads off of Amazon-- Nutrition Content
ignore the kale info its outdated

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom