Traveling with bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I need some advice. My husband and I are moving from Ohio to California at the end of July. We are driving there. I really don't like the idea of having Oliver shipped over for two reasons. He would have to be shipped after we have already signed our lease and got settled so a friend would have to ship him...I don't trust my bearded dragon with anyone but my husband and I. Secondly I feel like shipping could be dangerous and very stressful on him/her.

So is there any way he could go with us on this trip? We are staying in a hotels over night for three nights then for a few days in a hotel in Sacramento as we get apartment things taken care of. Any much needed advice?

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
By all means, he can carpool with you :D

Many users have recommended a small container with towels and of course a cover to keep him inside, not his actual enclosure. As you will be in a car where you can adjust your own heat, be sure to keep him toasty. You can use some activated hand warmers under the towels in the container along with the ambient temp of the car. If he isn't spooked and you're not handling too many things, you could also safely hold him to you for the journey.

When you stop at hotels, you can set up a small playpen area (similar to this https://www.amazon.com/PETMAKER-Pop-Up-Playpen-Deluxe-Carrying/dp/B00SNNI7PQ ) with his needed lights on stands. He may or may not be too stressed to eat, but as long as he's healthy, a few hours or a couple days won't do too much harm.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
Beardies are good travelers, Scaley has even come camping with me! She loves looking out the window.

I have a kit I use for any travel I do with her. I have it listed on my personal thread if you want to see it. Never forget the paper towels or you'll be trying to clean up beardie poop with fast food napkins.

I'd also get a leash or harness so that you can control where he goes when not in his playpen/duffel bag/fenced area. If it's warm enough taking him out for some natural sunlight during a rest stop would be beneficial as long as he's controlled.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They can absolutely travel with you. Some of them seem to enjoy road trips to an extent. We brought our dragon with us from Iowa to New Hampshire and back last summer and he did very well. Brought along veges for him and a container of black soldier fly larvae. Set his basking mercury vapor light up in the hotel for a morning bask to get him warmed up but he mostly just got natural sunlight when we stopped at rest areas. He goes with us on smaller trips (5-6hrs each way) on a pretty regular basis and those are easy.

Ben & Jerry's in Vermont
76248-3330142978.jpg

Niagara Falls
76248-4481913899.jpg

Firsttimebeardiemom

Original Poster
Thank you for all the responses. So where would I get a harness and leash for Oliver? He's still under a year. He's about 9inchs though since it will be in August I'm not sure how much he will grow by then. He has shed twice in a month since I got him. How would I set his lights up in the hotels? And should I get pet friendly hotels? It's just so much to plan and I want to make this move as easy on Oliver as possible.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I use a piece of parachute cord with a spring stopper that wraps around his waist and it works well as a leash. I found the chest harnesses are difficult to get on and seem uncomfortable for them.

I hung my lamp from an adjustable lamp stand and let that shine onto his blanket. You could probably use a clamp lamp too but there isn't a guarantee that there will be something at appropriate height to hang it from. If you provide some natural sun during the day, a few days without the light really shouldn't be a big deal if you decide not to use it.

It's best to get a pet friendly hotel so you aren't breaking any rules but I just carry him inside a duffel bag so for overnight stops it really doesn't make a difference.

I do advise keeping a bag with paper towels, plastic bags, and cleaning supplies handy in case there is a poop in the car. The reason I used the lighting was to try and encourage a poop by following his normal routine of waking up and basking but it doesn't always work.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
I learned a lot from Cooper when I was looking to travel with my dragon. I too made a leash that fit around the hips, I didn't like any of the body leash/harnesses that i had or saw due to the likelihood of it slipping off.

Here is what I made in the summer, it's similar to Coops. Scaley has definitely stress tested it so I know she can't get out and its not too tight. bonus = cost less than $5 to make!

86279-8710465915.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The cord type of chest harness is probably fine if it's comfortable and stays put. The one I was thinking of was the one with a leather piece which was often too narrow and constricting.

LRB

I'm glad to hear all of this. I have been losing sleep and wondering what to do with my beardie. I'm driving from FL to PA for a week and my beardie is shall we say special? He was a rescue, not properly cared for before I got him but he has bonded to me. So I am worried that he won't eat if I'm gone for that long and I don't think I can enjoy my time off worrying about him.

Jenniferr

I am honestly so pleased to hear that other people travel with beardies, I'm going away for a week at the end of this month and was stressing about taking Albus with me. I plan on buying a small (not cruel but just a smaller version) viv with me with the lights and all but my biggest concern was the long drive there and back ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom