Transporting + Viva Set Up

Pelly360

I was planning to buy my first beardie. I have been doing research and stuff for awhile now. Someone I know is selling the one they have had for a few months with a full tank set up. They do however live two hours away from me.

My question is, what is the best way of transporting the beardie for a car journey of 2 hours? Also should I remove everything from the tank before transporting and then set it up when I get home?

In the time I am taking to set up the tank at home, what should I do with the beardie? Also, once i set up the tank, it will probably take awhile for the viva to reach the correct temps required. Do I put him in there anyway or wait until I get the temps correct?

The Beardie is 10 months. It comes with a desert sand substrate. Should I substitute this with something else like tile or reptile carpet?

Also, when should i feed him? I read they can't digest properly until the temps are right. So I should not feed him until then? or just feed veggies?

Thanks

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I was planning to buy my first beardie. I have been doing research and stuff for awhile now. Someone I know is selling the one they have had for a few months with a full tank set up. They do however live two hours away from me.

My question is, what is the best way of transporting the beardie for a car journey of 2 hours? Also should I remove everything from the tank before transporting and then set it up when I get home?

In the time I am taking to set up the tank at home, what should I do with the beardie? Also, once i set up the tank, it will probably take awhile for the viva to reach the correct temps required. Do I put him in there anyway or wait until I get the temps correct?

The Beardie is 10 months. It comes with a desert sand substrate. Should I substitute this with something else like tile or reptile carpet?

Also, when should i feed him? I read they can't digest properly until the temps are right. So I should not feed him until then? or just feed veggies?

Thanks
I would invest in something like this for transporting - at some point he may haft to go to the vet - its great to keep them in when completely cleaning the tank as well -- I use something like this
But you can search Amazon for more -- next please take the tank down when transporting- --- your going to need 2 digital probe thermometers for actual surface basking temps-- 95-100-- those are a must -this is what is going to start digestion ----- and NO coil UVB's if they are using that please get rid of it--- they are NO good --- the sand substrate I would get rid of and get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank --- clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50-- then wipe w/ a clean wet dish towel -- when you see the set up please post back on here w/ a pic of it and we can help you get it corrected for the dragon so he thrives and does not get sick --- you can get him in the tank when you get home just make sure you have the stuff I have posted so you know what you need to do -- we can help - we will need the wattage of the basking bulb---- this is what you dont want ----- NO coils for UVB's - NO colored bulbs----NO off white or yellowish or daytime basking bulbs ---- the basking bulb you DO want is a solid clear bright white basking bulb - examples of those are a Zoo Med repti basking-- Exo Terra Intense-- Flukers-- or a Arcadia Halogen bulb --- after you get the husbandry correct we can go over the diet of what he should be fed and when --- find out if the people have been giving him calcium D3 and vitamins w/ beta carotene -- and how often --

Pelly360

Original Poster
I would invest in something like this for transporting - at some point he may haft to go to the vet - its great to keep them in when completely cleaning the tank as well -- I use something like this
But you can search Amazon for more -- next please take the tank down when transporting- --- your going to need 2 digital probe thermometers for actual surface basking temps-- 95-100-- those are a must -this is what is going to start digestion ----- and NO coil UVB's if they are using that please get rid of it--- they are NO good --- the sand substrate I would get rid of and get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank --- clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50-- then wipe w/ a clean wet dish towel -- when you see the set up please post back on here w/ a pic of it and we can help you get it corrected for the dragon so he thrives and does not get sick --- you can get him in the tank when you get home just make sure you have the stuff I have posted so you know what you need to do -- we can help - we will need the wattage of the basking bulb---- this is what you dont want ----- NO coils for UVB's - NO colored bulbs----NO off white or yellowish or daytime basking bulbs ---- the basking bulb you DO want is a solid clear bright white basking bulb - examples of those are a Zoo Med repti basking-- Exo Terra Intense-- Flukers-- or a Arcadia Halogen bulb --- after you get the husbandry correct we can go over the diet of what he should be fed and when --- find out if the people have been giving him calcium D3 and vitamins w/ beta carotene -- and how often --
Ah thank you - i'll get one of them carriers.

Yes, it comes with 2 digital probe thermometers. So should the basking surface temp be around 35-38 degrees Celsius for the basking? How about the cooler side?

Had a look at some shelf liners - something like this is ok? Amazon

In terms of lighting, the tank comes with the following:

Arcadia ProT5 Kit - Desert 12% 39 W
Arcadia Basking Solar spot 100W

which seem fine. Correct if wrong.

In terms of supplements, they said they have been feeding him on Monday and Tuesday Multivitamins, and Saturday and Sunday Calcium. without the D3 though. Is this fine for a 10 month Dragon?

Any further advice welcome so I can prepare before I bring him back.

Many thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ah thank you - i'll get one of them carriers.

Yes, it comes with 2 digital probe thermometers. So should the basking surface temp be around 35-38 degrees Celsius for the basking? How about the cooler side?

Had a look at some shelf liners - something like this is ok? Amazon

In terms of lighting, the tank comes with the following:

Arcadia ProT5 Kit - Desert 12% 39 W
Arcadia Basking Solar spot 100W

which seem fine. Correct if wrong.

In terms of supplements, they said they have been feeding him on Monday and Tuesday Multivitamins, and Saturday and Sunday Calcium. without the D3 though. Is this fine for a 10 month Dragon?

Any further advice welcome so I can prepare before I bring him back.

Many thanks!
Yes on the 35-38 for actual surface basking temps-- 27-29 cool side of the tank ambient temps --I would look for something a little more smoother but textured - the bumps on the liner might be harder to clean-
great UVB find out how old the bulb is --- they expire in approx a year I would change it out in about 10-11 months unless you get a solar meter then you can check the readings to see if its still putting out- I do not have one so I just change mine out regularly every 11 months-- basking light is great -- the supplements is good too I would however give him the D3 twice a week - you have a good UVB that is what matters - at the age of one his supplements could change depending on what he is eating for salads - if the dragon is good at eating salads then the vitamins dont need to be given as often -- if he is one that refuses to eat them then your going to need to keep giving them -- mine are not the greatest at eating them so I still dust my insects 2 times per week w/ the vitamins -
when you get the tank home and are setting it up please let me know- the screen on the tank is going to determine where the UVB goes - screen block out 30% of the UVB rays

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom