TOO much ventilation in Dubia bin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJD

I keep my Dubia colony in my garage, and for the past few weeks we have been getting very humid weather. I noticed small puddles in the bottom of the bin, so I cut a section out of the lid(I originally had some small holes in the top because I started the colony in the winter), and hot glued mesh in to increase ventilation, hopefully preventing mold from forming. Anyway, now all the water crystals I put in there turn solid again overnight. Im running low on them, and I don't want them to be without a water source.
What do you suggest I do? Can oranges give them enough hydration? I can put pictures up tomorrow, but is it possible that the cut is too big?:/
Sorry for rambling :lol:
Thanks,
Ayden

r35gtr

Yes it is possible. Bigger vents = less humid.

You could try putting towel on some section of the vent to make it less. That also works.

I'm not sure how many dubias you have but mine does not last a whole night. It's usually gone within 5 mins.

They can usually last couple days without water. I've had mine without food and water for 3 days, sometimes more, but not over a week.

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
Yeah produce is fine as a water source for dubias, healthy too! You can even use wadded up wet paper towels in a bind. Really, dubias are so hard to mess up you shouldn't worry about them much. If you're trying to breed them then you'll want to find a way to get the humidity levels up, but otherwise you're fine.

AJD

Original Poster
I give them oranges, carrot, and whatever greens are going brown because they usually eat it up overnight. I'm currently mid-scale breeding (25-30 females w/ 10 males and 400+). I may try r35gtr's idea with the towels.. I could always buy another lid I guess :? ... And try to redo it with smaller holes.

clear

Sub-Adult Member
If the water cyrstals in the dish look dry, add water to them. They are re-usable you know...
Years ago I worried about humidity, I dont any more. I keep the tops off on all my colonies and only worry about the food, water and the temp (stays between 80-85)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LiamYe
Top Bottom