Too much UVB? UVB question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fubardad

UVB question? Is there such a thing as too much UVB?

Im setting up a new tank for my upcoming beardie... a 4x2x2 zenhabitat with a T5 HO tube with zoo med hood and I plan to put it on top of the mesh screen. Im in the debate of using a standard 150w basking bulb or a 100w MVB PowerSun as the basking bulb with a Fluker Sun Deep Dome.

Are there any pros vs cons using the mvb with the T5 HO or does the Reptisun/Arcadia bulb provide enough and using a Powersun as a plain basking bulb wasting money?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have a Arcadia 10.0 T5 inside my tank --- it is recommended to be inside while the basking on top of screen--- the basking bulb is a Exo Terro 100 watt- it seems to keep the temp on Hiccups basking rock around 105 or so -- the UVB should be around 12" or so from him --

Karrie

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
A t5 ho 10% or 12% is the best option , however it should be mounted under the mesh not on top 12” away from the basking spot
If it’s in top of mesh you have to be a bit closer as the mesh blocks 30-45% of the uvb depending on how find the mesh is. Under the mesh at 12” is the ideal sweet spot for amount of uvb.
A 150w basking bulb will be way too hot , you could go a 100w on a dimmer if you wanted though , but in most situations either 60w, 75w or 90w at 12” from the basking spot would be give temps needed. It’ll be trial and error.
I cannot comment on mvbs as I have never used one but yes there is such a thing as too much uvb
A t5 12% 12” from basking spot and mounted under the mesh gives the ideal amount of uvb at the basking spot though

fubardad

Original Poster
KarrieRee":yfymq153 said:
I have a Arcadia 10.0 T5 inside my tank --- it is recommended to be inside while the basking on top of screen--- the basking bulb is a Exo Terro 100 watt- it seems to keep the temp on Hiccups basking rock around 105 or so -- the UVB should be around 12" or so from him --

Karrie
Karrie.. how are you mounting your uvb? Are you using wire of some sort or just mounting system? Is that a zoo med hood in your tank? (Looking at the pics from the previous thread about zenhabitat.)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes- its a zoo med- and yes on the wire hanger things- my husband hung it and wires are bendable! Not sure where he got them - came from the garage- :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Quite OK to use a MVB + a T5HO 10%UVB or T5HO 12%UVB tube in your tank, simply means the UVB tube need not be as long as it would need to be if the T5HO tube was the ONLY source of UV.

I think you will find MVB over basking spot and a T5HO tube about 1/2 the length of the tank mounted so it starts about 1/3 the way from basking spot end of the tank will work just fine.

fubardad

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":34mosdj3 said:
Quite OK to use a MVB + a T5HO 10%UVB or T5HO 12%UVB tube in your tank, simply means the UVB tube need not be as long as it would need to be if the T5HO tube was the ONLY source of UV.

I think you will find MVB over basking spot and a T5HO tube about 1/2 the length of the tank mounted so it starts about 1/3 the way from basking spot end of the tank will work just fine.
@King... so this is what I have right now...
102544-1771354168.jpg
I dont have the correct UVB tube in there yet (its the one that came with the zoomed hood 5.0 tube) and Im not sure a t5 HO 10.0 will give off any more heat or not. I just turned everything on, gave it about 10 minutes and with the 150w Exo terra basking bulb... Im only getting about 80f+. What I am realizing is the mesh screen on the zenhabitat is a "hard mesh" and not like a "screen door" type of mesh. Would you still recommend using the Powersun with T5 HO outside or just find a way to get the T5 HO inside?

What are the recommendations for reflectors for inside use? I do have the Reptisun 34" 10.0 T5 HO tube on order and coming in a couple of days but now Im thinking if it was the right choice? Or should I get something smaller and just find an inside reflector and figure out how to mount it inside?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
How are you measuring temp? When I first turned on basking it was doing same - changed out the bulb that I had bought at home depot and it was way too hot - went back to the old 100 watt basking it blew out so put in new 100 watt that's in there now and its 105 or so- basking is on top of screen - your tank is just like mine- so not sure why its not heating -- how old is your bulb? And are you doing anything w/ flooring? I found it too slippery for hiccup so went to the tile.
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I noticed bulb is not over basking area? It needs to be directly over rock/ platform etc

fubardad

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1hghsinj said:
How are you measuring temp? When I first turned on basking it was doing same - changed out the bulb that I had bought at home depot and it was way too hot - went back to the old 100 watt basking it blew out so put in new 100 watt that's in there now and its 105 or so- basking is on top of screen - your tank is just like mine- so not sure why its not heating -- how old is your bulb? And are you doing anything w/ flooring? I found it too slippery for hiccup so went to the tile.
Karrie
I just bought the bulb today... and Im measuring it via infrared temp gun. I wasnt measuring the floor, I was actually measuring the middle of the branch so that was my concern.

In regards to the flooring, I do plan to get tile but the tank just arrived today and I just put everything together as of an hour ago... so by tomorrow, I will find some tile to go inside. Any recommendations on the tile that worked for you? I had an idea but I cant find it online now...

fubardad

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1x4av2ru said:
Screen on top is galvanized metal correct?
Karrie
Yes... "hard mesh" (I didnt look up the type of metal until now...) but the dome is over the branch in which is the planned basking area. Its a bad picture and bad angle so I think its hard to judge proper angle.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
fubardad":3dayu3ic said:
kingofnobbys":3dayu3ic said:

@King... so this is what I have right now...
102544-1771354168.jpg
I dont have the correct UVB tube in there yet (its the one that came with the zoomed hood 5.0 tube) and Im not sure a t5 HO 10.0 will give off any more heat or not. I just turned everything on, gave it about 10 minutes and with the 150w Exo terra basking bulb... Im only getting about 80f+. What I am realizing is the mesh screen on the zenhabitat is a "hard mesh" and not like a "screen door" type of mesh. Would you still recommend using the Powersun with T5 HO outside or just find a way to get the T5 HO inside?

What are the recommendations for reflectors for inside use? I do have the Reptisun 34" 10.0 T5 HO tube on order and coming in a couple of days but now Im thinking if it was the right choice? Or should I get something smaller and just find an inside reflector and figure out how to mount it inside?

Not perfect but workable if you make a few small changes.

>> mesh under the MVB & T5HO tube is quite fine and will be blocking up to 45% of the UV from the MVB and the T5HO tube.
Best to remove the mesh entirely and replace with a piece of MDF or plywood with a hole cut for let the MVB shine in , and the T5HO hood mounted under the lid.
This will make it easier to set up a stable thermal gradient in the tank and you'll find you'll not need as high a wattage MVB to get the same temperatures.

>> a T5HO 5% UVB is not going to strong enough , you still need a T5HO 10 - 12% UVB , or a T5HO 14% UVB tube if mounting ONTOP THE MESH.
Ideally you want about 100 microW UVB / sq.cm in the area midway between the basking spot and the cold end of the tank , a T5HO 5% UVB tube will never give enough UV at the distances shown.
T5HO tubes don't add much heat at all.

>> basking spot needs to be directly under the MVB and the temperature at the basking spot no hotter than 100-105 F ( I try to keep my bearded dragon basking spot at 37 - 38 degC and never hotter).
It's fine if the basking spot is the tree branch if this is wide enough for the dragon use safely as its basking spot.
I use a jumbo sized Hubbahut for my basking spot for my dragon , simply climbs ontop to bask, my girl Peppa is 25" long and about 800g.

>>> Measuring technique might be giving you low temperature readings , see this :
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=239064&p=1833542#p1833542
and
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=241233
points to make sure of
> the place being measured needs to be smaller than the measuring spot of the thermometer
> the emissivity needs to be right for the surface
> if reflective surface avoid measuring the reflection of the heat source.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Wire for hanging is stainless steel that husband got from work- seems like you can use like a clothes hanger or look at a hardware store- I would not get rid of the galvanized screen top- but it will haft to be thin wire- husband said he would send you a couple
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom