Too many crickets??

Bowser515

Beardie name(s)
Bowser
Hello! I have a 5-6 month old (I think) bearded dragon named Bowser. I guessed the age based on length and taking into account I bought him mid August. He is 13 inches long. My question is am I feeding him too many crickets? He will take down 60-70 or more in 10 minutes. I also give him fresh kale every day and he eats that really good too. I had been giving him dubias too, but he doesn't seem to go after them like he does the crickets. I was also giving him silk worms but read that they aren't a very good staple. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 20221020_192118.jpg
    20221020_192118.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 20221020_192057.jpg
    20221020_192057.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 84

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello! I have a 5-6 month old (I think) bearded dragon named Bowser. I guessed the age based on length and taking into account I bought him mid August. He is 13 inches long. My question is am I feeding him too many crickets? He will take down 60-70 or more in 10 minutes. I also give him fresh kale every day and he eats that really good too. I had been giving him dubias too, but he doesn't seem to go after them like he does the crickets. I was also giving him silk worms but read that they aren't a very good staple. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
The silk worms are a great staple-- please feed them - its too bad hes going more for the crickets than the roaches - crickets are dirty feeder and can cause parasites --- I would try and cut down on the amount of crickets and feed the roaches -- they are more nutritional - are you gut loading the crickets before feeding them? Also feed more salads as well --- that too would be better than all the crickets - you want him to eat more of your insects like silks and roaches than all the crickets --- I am not a cricket fan sorry!

Bowser515

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bowser
Thank you! I will definitely get some more silk worms. What size would you recommend? I'll get some more dubias too. My problem with those is he doesn't catch them quick enough and they end up hiding. He won't eat the insects out of a bowl, so maybe I could hand feed them instead. Appreciate the help!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thank you! I will definitely get some more silk worms. What size would you recommend? I'll get some more dubias too. My problem with those is he doesn't catch them quick enough and they end up hiding. He won't eat the insects out of a bowl, so maybe I could hand feed them instead. Appreciate the help!
Silks are soft so he should be able to eat medium ones- yes try hand feeding the roaches- make sure your feeding the roach no bigger than the space between the eyes- I would feed those first before the crickets

Groggyfroggie

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Draco
Maybe you can put him and the roaches in a separate bin, see if he goes after them that way. You boy looks good, he eats that much probably just cuz crickets aren’t as filling.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
He looks pretty good. He is still growing so keep feeding him the protein. When he stops putting on size and starts to fill out, you can cut back the protein then. (Truthfully in my experience they slow down on their own when they are nearing full size.)

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom