Too hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to get a 100 watt basking bulb for my 20 gallon tank because the 75 watt was only getting up to about 90 degrees. My beardie is a juvenile so i’ve read the recommended is between 105-110. I placed my thermometer probe directly on the middle of the basking spot & it’s reading 118 so i’m just wondering if this is too hot. He still sits on his rock & is gaping pretty often. Should I go back to my 75 watt?

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
Go back to the 75 watt. Try adjusting the basking spot temperature by raising the basking spot a little. Measure again. There's multiple ways to adjust the basking spot temperatures. Different wattage basking lamps, different reflector domes, but also just moving the basking spot a little. :)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I do typically like to run my babies/juvies basking surfaces around 105, but I do agree you don't want it to be 118. Going back down to the 75 and maybe raising the basking surface to be slightly closer should help.

How are your cool side temps?

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom