Tomato Leaves?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My bearded dragon ate a few tomato plant leaves and I heard it is toxic. What do I do? He is acting normal for now.
If they are toxic which I dont know if they are their beard would of turned black right away - if hes acting normal your fine - its best to keep some activated charcoal on hand just in case --

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Tomatoes are in the nightshade family and are toxic. But I don't know to what degree. Hornworms Are also known as tomato worms and everything I've ever read said it isn't safe to feed them to a beardie if they had eaten the plants.

Azymondias&Ryn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Tomatoes are in the nightshade family and are toxic. But I don't know to what degree. Hornworms Are also known as tomato worms and everything I've ever read said it isn't safe to feed them to a beardie if they had eaten the plants.
I thought they could eat hornworms because I’ve seen them at stores and fed them to mg dragon a few times as a treat. It has been a couple days now so I think he should be good 👍

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I thought they could eat hornworms because I’ve seen them at stores and fed them to mg dragon a few times as a treat. It has been a couple days now so I think he should be good 👍
The captive raised hornworms are fed a special chow so they are safe + a good food item. In the wild they eat tomato leaves which can be toxic. I'm glad to hear that your dragon seems fine.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I was trying to say what AHBD said, i just didn't articulate very well. I'm sorry i confused you.
Hornworms are native to my home state (Kentucky) we call them mater (tomato) or backer worms (tobacco) they destroy either crop, but more to the point it would never be a good idea to feed a wild caught hornworm to your pet. Store bought however are great.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Funny thing is, farmers used to pay me to kill hornworms in the tobacco fields. Now im buying them. OOHH the irony lol

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I was trying to say what AHBD said, i just didn't articulate very well. I'm sorry i confused you.
Hornworms are native to my home state (Kentucky) we call them mater (tomato) or backer worms (tobacco) they destroy either crop, but more to the point it would never be a good idea to feed a wild caught hornworm to your pet. Store bought however are great.
Yes, better safe than sorry.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom