To Multiple Beardie Owners....

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
So we all know that I am obsessed with my beardie....I saw a red beardie that I want to adopt so bad. I have been thinking about a second beardie for some time now so it's not an impulsive move.
I know that two beardies shouldn't be housed together and I am fine with the financial cost and the attention needed that comes with multiple beardies. As a parent of multiple beardies, could you please tell me the pros/cons of having multiple beardies? Any recommendations- start with the basics (as far as gender). I am not interested in breeding. I have a male already and am totally in love-
The other side of this is that I am a new beardie parent and may simply need to slow down but when I run to grab supplies and my heart string tug at the mere thought of beardies. I feel like I lucked up with Rocky and I don't want to get another beardie where I am kicking myself because it's the devil LOL
For those of you who "know" me- you know that Rocky has me wrapped around his finger. If I need to totally keep my dedication to him, just tell me to get over this feeling...I will not get offended.
Open to your thoughts and stories because even if I can't get another one, I will live vicariously through you! LOL
I thank you in advance.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
There are draw backs to having multiples. The work it takes to take care of them doubles, the cost doubles, ect. But you already know that. Where it gets tricky is finding the time to spend quality time with each of them. 1 male compounds that, 2 males would really compound that. Even 1 male and 1 female is harder. You may be able to have both out (m and f) but he will constantly harass her.and you'll never be able to leave them unattended together. For me time is the big draw back. I try to be equal in everything i do for mine but the more you have the harder that is. On the flip side you get twice the love and entertainment. You can occasionally let them see one another and watch how they react, it can be vert intricate displays.
Just remember if you decide to do it, you need to quarantine the new one until you are 100% it's dusease free, you also need to double, triple and quadruple down on personal hygiene after handling them until you know there isn't disease. That to me is the scary part.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
There are draw backs to having multiples. The work it takes to take care of them doubles, the cost doubles, ect. But you already know that. Where it gets tricky is finding the time to spend quality time with each of them. 1 male compounds that, 2 males would really compound that. Even 1 male and 1 female is harder. You may be able to have both out (m and f) but he will constantly harass her.and you'll never be able to leave them unattended together. For me time is the big draw back. I try to be equal in everything i do for mine but the more you have the harder that is. On the flip side you get twice the love and entertainment. You can occasionally let them see one another and watch how they react, it can be vert intricate displays.
Just remember if you decide to do it, you need to quarantine the new one until you are 100% it's dusease free, you also need to double, triple and quadruple down on personal hygiene after handling them until you know there isn't disease. That to me is the scary part.
Thank you- notice that I didn't tag you lol- I knew you had valuable feedback THAT I WASN'T READY TO HEAR.:oops: But seriously, I appreciate the feedback. In reality, I am leaning towards no but in theory- yes is so much better :ROFLMAO:
I agree with everything you said- I don't think I could handle two males. I agree about the male and female- trying to separate would be a challenge as I would want to be free to do whatever and go wherever and that could get tricky- imagine travel.

But I will say that you have some great stories....I always appreciate the share-

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
I currently have 2. Rango (m) I got him in October ‘21 and Shyla (f) I got this March. I did it this way with intentions of breeding. However, I also knew how males are dominant. I love them both equally and they both get spoiled just the same. They also both have different personalities. Of course Rango is older but he is more self sufficient since he can free roam. He is very loving. Lol now Shyla is queen petty and the bad but I wouldn’t change her for nothing in the world. They are housed separately and typically don’t have them out at the same time. If they are they aren’t near each other and isn’t for long. Like she may coming out for me to clean her tank while he’s out. As @xp29 stated your cost 💲 will increase but you stated your prepared for that. Lol prepare yourself for a much higher light 💡 bill cuz now your running 2 of everything not including your regular lights.

Last edited:

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
While I am flipping back and forth regarding my decision....I won't do it but the thought sounds so exciting. I appreciate the feedback and will live vicariously through others.
Thank you for the feedback!

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
While I am flipping back and forth regarding my decision....I won't do it but the thought sounds so exciting. I appreciate the feedback and will live vicariously through others.
Thank you for the feedback!

You can do it when you decide to. With what you’ve learn so far you will be more prepared for the 2nd one.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have 2 males- they are out at different times - I spend time w/ each of them and it is tricky as I have 6 cats and one dog and one part time dog- all the animals get a long the cats could careless and the dogs ignore the dragons-

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Question is .... do the dragons ignore the dogs lol. Ruby sets on the edge of the couch and trys to jump on our dogs back once in a while lol. She and Snicker Doodle both go after him when they are on the floor.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I agree with Rango, you can handle it i was just playing devils advocat, not trying to talk ya out of it. Its just a long commitment so better to look at all the angels and inside out to before pulling the trigger.

HRRMMM I think Trigger would be a cool name for a dragon. (random thoughts in a feeble mind lol)

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I love this conversation - but Rocky turns himself dark every day until we have play time or until he gets what he wants. I feel if I don't meet his wants/need-overall demands, he may tear his tank up (which he's done once before).

I am so proud as I am no longer afraid of the beard. As long as Rocky no longer puffs up, we will be fine!! Rocky pretty much hates everything but the window and me! LOL

The dragon that I am interested in is about 3 months and will need a lot of attention, I'm sure (like 6 months is a huge difference right LOL) but @RangoRocky is right, I am learning so much that will make me better prepared for the next one.

I think about how lucky I am with Rocky- the next dragon may be a terror!

Rocky lets me hug him and rock him from slowly in my embrace from side to side- his head stays still while doing so. That triangle head looks funny ...what other dragon is going to put up with my nonsense? I saw somewhere here that someone holds their dragon's hand for a minute to bond...yup, I do that on most days. Rocky enjoys it but if I am a minute and 20 seconds, he turns his head to the side, looks down at my hand like OKAY PSYCHO -
I'm telling you - we have the best time doing absolutely nothing!
I can't wait until he gets bigger and I let him roam....oh I am going to let him chase me for hours LOL okay maybe not but I am curious as to what he will do.

On another note @KarrieRee I saw your setup!! Wherever you are, I know a lighting comment will follow. I say to myself, "They better get ready to check their lighting!" I am honored that you commented here AND I saw your set up WHooooooooo hooooo!!!

I love all of these beardie names--- so creative!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I was watching wickens wicked reptile channel on youtube just yesterday and he was talking about how the reptile community all stick together and try help and lift each other up. He is spot on and this forum just proves it.

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
Rango didn’t black beard but he used to glass surf a lot to get out and be next to somebody. And the min we took him out he would be fine. He never tore up the tank believe me I know what your referring to. Every beardie have their own personality and is completely different. Where as Rocky may want to be cuddled and on you. The next beardie maybe antisocial and not want to be bothered or held that much. My baby is fine being in the tank all day and it’s not to say that she’s anti. But when she want to come out she either comes to the front of the glass or she looks pitiful til we take her out. They bout know when it’s close to the bedtimes…she get cuddle time on me and he get his blanket time. I even brought a pet cam for when I’m not home to check in on them. Got it for under $20 if you want the info on it. But I can even talk to them so they’ll hear my voice.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Rango didn’t black beard but he used to glass surf a lot to get out and be next to somebody. And the min we took him out he would be fine. He never tore up the tank believe me I know what your referring to. Every beardie have their own personality and is completely different. Where as Rocky may want to be cuddled and on you. The next beardie maybe antisocial and not want to be bothered or held that much. My baby is fine being in the tank all day and it’s not to say that she’s anti. But when she want to come out she either comes to the front of the glass or she looks pitiful til we take her out. They bout know when it’s close to the bedtimes…she get cuddle time on me and he get his blanket time. I even brought a pet cam for when I’m not home to check in on them. Got it for under $20 if you want the info on it. But I can even talk to them so they’ll hear my voice.
I don't have a petcam but I totally bought a cam for other purposes which I never used and now use it for Rocky. I am home most of the time or Rocky is with me. It's funny because now everyone asks, "Where is Rocky" the few times when I don't bring him with me, I explain how it's past his bedtime LOL. I hadn't realized how much he's become a part of my life LOL. Yes, the voice part is the best as Rocky looked around for me. It was the sweetest moment.

I think I am letting Rocky stay in the window too long- today he will have a black beard and darken because he's going to stay in his enclosure all day. It's gloomy out and I want him to get the right exposure. Yesterday I had him out but I didn't move the light- he turned his back towards the sun and was fine but that may not be sufficient. If I see the puff, I may be back telling everyone that I was scared and gave in LOL

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I was watching wickens wicked reptile channel on youtube just yesterday and he was talking about how the reptile community all stick together and try help and lift each other up. He is spot on and this forum just proves it.
Isn't Adam awesome? I saw that video and agree- it's totally a lifestyle. I just have the tip of my finger in the community with Rocky but based on how much I've learned here over the last month, I couldn't imagine the expos. I was yelling out other Youtubers in that video like, wow- maybe my foot is in at this point! LOL
I get excited seeing the sense of unity, the genuine passion because at the end of the day, it's all about the love of our reptiles.

Now show off your beardie tattoos LOL

I must say it's the journey that made my passion grow because while dogs have always been my favorite, it's something about dealing with a personality who can't verbally communicate yet has so many unique needs and characteristic that touches my heart. I know there are humans that fall into this category as well but ...

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom