To get in there or just chill out?

Akg12saurus

Beardie name(s)
Gosha
Hello Folks,

Question: Should I go ahead and start trying to pet my dragon in the enclosure no matter what?

Background: I've had my now 3-month old beardie for about 3-ish weeks and working on hand taming. He has my shirt, which he usually sleeps on at night, and I hand-feed 1-3 of his meals daily and muck about his tank cleaning and talking to him. I've gotten to a good hand-brings-food association since when I put my hand next to him, he looks at it expectantly for food. He does not view my open palm as a threat and will walk over it to get to the place he is going.

However, when I try to pet him, he will move or jerk away. If I manage to land a pet or two on his back or head, he'll get the "deer in the headlights" mixed with how dare you, and either just scurry away or run away and puff up and get into a bit of a fighting stance (with his back turning sideways).

I've read and watched mixed tips kind of next steps when it comes to hand taming a beardie. Should I take it easy or really persist daily in pets and holding him in his enclosure? I do not want to encourage associative behavior, where if I back off every time he puffs and runs, he'll come to associate that with getting his way and continue to do it.

Thoughts appreciated.

Side note - he is currently in shed so I am not chasing him around and mostly leaving him along outside of hand feeding and putting my hand in the viv.

Last edited:

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
I remember when my guy was little after a few weeks I started picking him up and bringing him out and putting him down to roam around in a safe area and putting some kind of treat worm in front of him then just sit with him and let him run around and eventually he started coming over and climbing on me. I don’t really think reptiles necessarily like being petted but may just tolerate it. You’ll know if they are closing their eyes it means they are stressed by what your doing and closing their eyes is a stress response by reptiles not a relaxed I’m enjoying this which most people think is what’s going on. If their eyes are open and you’re say rubbing under their chin it’s usually a sign their ok with what your doing but if you go to pet them in some manner and they close their eyes they are trying to say hey I’m not really a fan of this. There are some really good articles on this exact topic online discussing reptiles responses to stress.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd probably go easy for now and just spend time near him without harassing so he gets used to you not being a threat. It varies so much between them, that it's hard to say when/if he'll get used to petting and handling. Do you ever take him out to roam around and explore outside of the enclosure? If he associates you with taking him someplace interesting like a window sill or large/safe room to explore it may help. I'd probably leave him alone during shed though, since that tends to stress them out enough on its own.

Akg12saurus

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Gosha
I'd probably go easy for now and just spend time near him without harassing so he gets used to you not being a threat. It varies so much between them, that it's hard to say when/if he'll get used to petting and handling. Do you ever take him out to roam around and explore outside of the enclosure? If he associates you with taking him someplace interesting like a window sill or large/safe room to explore it may help. I'd probably leave him alone during shed though, since that tends to stress them out enough on its own.
Thanks for the info, @CooperDragon

I have taken him out before and tried to do so consistently for the first week but as he's gotten comfortable in the viv, he's gotten more skittish. I've maybe taken him out once a week for the last 2 weeks (cleaning and trying a bath), but since he spends a good amount of time under the heat lamp, it almost feels like his territory (see pic)...I started waffling around whether I should continue to try and take him out daily (as he will usually run away from me if I try) or just take it super slowly and go back to hand feeding/cleaning/hand placement/etc. What would you suggest?

Also side question - he registers at 110 at the top basking spot. I have thought about lowering that rock to the level of the tree trunk and adjusting the temp to get him to about 105 instead of 110 and also make it easier for me to pick him up when he is on it. What are your thoughts?

And I've been thinking about a place I can let him free roam with my supervision, so I am working out what the logistics and space would be since I don't have a good clear space to do so where there is no chance of escape or squeezing under something. But once again, my dilemma of, try to take him out (even though he runs) or leave him be, comes in. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1807 copy.jpg
    IMG_1807 copy.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

Akg12saurus

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Gosha
I remember when my guy was little after a few weeks I started picking him up and bringing him out and putting him down to roam around in a safe area and putting some kind of treat worm in front of him then just sit with him and let him run around and eventually he started coming over and climbing on me. I don’t really think reptiles necessarily like being petted but may just tolerate it. You’ll know if they are closing their eyes it means they are stressed by what your doing and closing their eyes is a stress response by reptiles not a relaxed I’m enjoying this which most people think is what’s going on. If their eyes are open and you’re say rubbing under their chin it’s usually a sign their ok with what your doing but if you go to pet them in some manner and they close their eyes they are trying to say hey I’m not really a fan of this. There are some really good articles on this exact topic online discussing reptiles responses to stress.
Nice, thanks for info...he does not close his eyes when i try to pet him or get a pet in, so i guess that's a good thing. The article info sounds interesting, I've definitely invested heavy research hours for months about various things :) Do you have a name of one of those articles by chance?

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble

There’s a bunch more to. It’s really interesting to learn more I’m kind of a reptile nerd lol. My blue tongue skinks display similar behaviors as the dragons.

Akg12saurus

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Gosha
Update for any folks that are in the first few months of being a parent to a beardie, who is just not comfortable with you and are looking for taming hope...

I've had Gosha for over 3 months now (he is about 6 and half months now) and with patience, persistence and love and advise from knowledgeable folks here and other posts, he has turned a new leaf. He now lets me pick him up and reach in and pet him with or without a treat.

IMO this change has to do with
1. persistent and daily contact/cleaning
2. hand feeding
3. and almost nightly cuddle sessions on my chest where I pet him to get him used to my touch

In addition to all of the above, after a rough handling session or two I resorted to treats as my go to to get him to come out of his viv and directly into my hand, instead of chasing him around. Now, I no longer use the treats that way, but it did ensure that the start of our interaction was a very pleasant one. Final note, another benefit has been the warmer weather in the northeast on some days, which has enabled us to go outside where he happily potties and general soaks up the sun for half an hour or so.

So what I am trying to say is, don't lose hope and give your dragon the love and patience they deserve and I hope you have a similar outcome. Best of luck!

Attachments

• Gosha.outing.jpg
    Gosha.outing.jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 82

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Ugh, I totally stressed my beardie today- but since it was only 1 eye- that's half stressed :)

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Oh I need to get off this threat as I am obviously messing all of this up! LOL (but technically the shed is over!) I feel horribly!

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby

There’s a bunch more to. It’s really interesting to learn more I’m kind of a reptile nerd lol. My blue tongue skinks display similar behaviors as the dragons.
great articles!

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom