Tired?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnMcD

Lucy (beardie) has bags under her eyes, our camera is broken so i cannot get pictures but her eyelid is hanging down past her eye. its been this way for a long time and i just thought nothing of it, i still dont but i want to make sure its fine.

Shes at 105-84 degrees
goes to sleep at 8pm and wakes up at 6:30am
Thanks, John

ArdorAndZeal1

Hatchling Member
hmm.

How old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What is the sex of your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Do you bath your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?

-
UV B source is important, and possible cause. but thats an uninformed hunch.

JohnMcD

Original Poster
How old is your dragon? 8months
How long have you had your dragon? exaclty 2 months today
How long is your dragon? approx. 14in. (shes a few inches longer than a 1ft ruler)
What is the sex of your dragon? female
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? 20gallon long
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? paper towel
Do you use UVB lights? yes
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?tube
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)? reptiglow 10.0 or w/e the best one is (i forgot :x)
How old is your UVB bulb? 2 months
How close can your dragon get to the UVB? about 15 inches
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? sunglow day bulb 100wat
What are the basking temps? 100-108
What is the cool side temp? constant 81
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun? one with a probe inside of it (essentially ON the basking spot)
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?where she basks...
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad? heat pad at night, under the tank, not touching the glass
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific. dusted crix and occasional hornworms and dubias, dandelion greens (purchased) and mustard greens
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? 6:40am and 6:00pm daily
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?yep
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?vitamin every sunday, calcium every other day they are the common brand.. i forgot the name
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? yessir
Do you bath your dragon? How often? yes, at least once a week
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath? theres a good amount of water in the greens bowl
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon? no
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?no

wowza! glad im done with that! haha

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, thanks for answering those questions, that helps save time.

If you could take a look on the side of the UVB and see what it says, we need to know if it is a Repti-Sun 10.0 or a Repti-Glo 10.0. That's very important because if it's the Repti-Sun, then your beardie needs to be 6 to 8" from it because otherwise it's not giving him any benefit. But, if it's the Repti-Glo, then you need to be aware that there have been some problems with that bulb, especially eye issues and you might want to consider purchasing the Repti-Sun instead. Make sure the basking bulb & UVB are right alongside each other so she can get both benefits at once.

A 20 gallon tank is quite small for a 14" beardie and doesn't really give her enough room to turn around. A minimum of a 40 gallon breeder would be better.

I'm not sure what you meant here about the thermometer you're using "one with a probe inside of it". The probe should be on the end of a long wire if you're using the right kind of digital. If you are using that type, be sure that you're laying the probe end right on the basking surface, waiting about 45 min for the temp to stop rising before you decide what the final basking temp is. Then you do the same thing on the cool side. With a 20 gallon and a 100 watt bulb, it seems like your temps would actually be much higher than the readings you're getting now.

For an 8 mo old, you should be dusting with calcium with D3 but phosphorus-free 5 days a wk but only 1 feeding a day and with vitamins the other 2 days a wk but only 1 feeding a day.

If you could fill us in on the thermometer details and the UVB, that would be helpful.

ArdorAndZeal1

Hatchling Member
by fuchsia_skies on Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:43 pm
My guy had droopy eyes a while back, and it turned out to be hypovitaminosis A. Basically, not enough vitamin A as that is one of the major vits. associated with the eyes. Also, he once got dehydrated through a week-long babysitter (Grrr...) and the effect was much more dramatic than a few wrinkles. He got incredibly dark with sunken rather than 'droopy' eyes, but got right back to normal with a few bath soaks...

Is she eating veggies yet? If she is, try giving her veggies with lots of vitamin A like carrots, yellow or acorn squash, dark greens like kale and romaine. (My guy took to eating squash baby food through a syringe!) Do not, however, give her extra A supplements as having too much is just as bad as having too little. The veggies have beta carotene instead of straight vit. A so are much better for her. With only about a week of the extra veggies, my Bill's eyes had pretty much gone back to normal.
Hope this helps, keep us posted!

my breeder told me vit a is important, and Carrots are the way to go.. fortunately my babies LOVE em.

http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45169&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15
shout out to fuchsia_skies!!!

ArdorAndZeal1

Hatchling Member
may consider some pedialyte, or a nutritious slurry for Your BD to give him strength if hes not eating.

ANd DEFINATELY, DEFINITELY ascertain the brand of your UV B bulb and that it is positioned according to manufacturers specifications.

my pet store gave me horrible advice... horrible. That Fish Place, That Pet place= BAD ADVICE. and my BD's got photo-krypto-konjunctivitis... check the link in my sig.

ArdorAndZeal1

Hatchling Member
I am not a vet. But it seems from others experience that vit a, bathing, and potentially turning off UV B for an appropriate period may be the way to go...

with this info you should get better expert care to make sure there is not infection, and no risk of further injury.

hope this helps, and keep us POSTED!!!!

JohnMcD

Original Poster
It is the reptisun 10.0
The thermometer has a probe on the inside, with a little vent type thing on the bottom to let it get the right temps, i know it has a probe because you can see it when you take it apart, as for the tank, im building a 4x2x2, its almost done, all i have to do is paint/stain/seal then put the glass in!

I just put some carrots in the bowl

Thanks so much for the help!

Zemanski

Hatchling Member
do not feed carrot as a staple, it binds the calcium so your beardie cannot absorb it, it should be kept for occasional treats only - try butternut squash instead. My Beardie is not allowed to eat anything that is not megaloaded with calcium, not even his favourite butternut :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom