Timid?

ERRA

Beardie name(s)
Argyle
Hey, all. I've had my boy for a couple months. I've got his enclosure right, feed him properly, give him baths, and hold him. He still seems so timid though. I see videos and pics of beardies loving pn their owners and snuggling. Mine unfortunately still shys away and tries to run some when I go to pick him up.
What can I do to help him trust, love, and want to be around me? Thanks.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey, all. I've had my boy for a couple months. I've got his enclosure right, feed him properly, give him baths, and hold him. He still seems so timid though. I see videos and pics of beardies loving pn their owners and snuggling. Mine unfortunately still shys away and tries to run some when I go to pick him up.
What can I do to help him trust, love, and want to be around me? Thanks.
He is still learning trust -- place a piece of clothing or fleece blanket in his hide w/ your smell on it - it may take some time but he will get there - just work w/ him - hand feed him some treat worms -patience is key

ERRA

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Argyle
He is still learning trust -- place a piece of clothing or fleece blanket in his hide w/ your smell on it - it may take some time but he will get there - just work w/ him - hand feed him some treat worms -patience is key
OK thank you. He's got so much personality. So funny. And he will eat meal worms out of my hand. And I realize he's still very young. Just don't want him to be afraid of me.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
OK thank you. He's got so much personality. So funny. And he will eat meal worms out of my hand. And I realize he's still very young. Just don't want him to be afraid of me.
How old is the dragon? I would not feed meal worms if hes a baby- they are too much risk for impaction -the exoskeleton on the them is too harsh on babies stomachs small super worms or medium depending on how big he is are good along w/ small / medium horn worms or BSFL / nutri grubs are really good - they are a staple feeder - in the stores they are known as phoenix worms-

ERRA

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Argyle
How old is the dragon? I would not feed meal worms if hes a baby- they are too much risk for impaction -the exoskeleton on the them is too harsh on babies stomachs small super worms or medium depending on how big he is are good along w/ small / medium horn worms or BSFL / nutri grubs are really good - they are a staple feeder - in the stores they are known as phoenix worms-
Well unfortunately I bought him from a big box pet store. Not a breeder. I'm assuming somewhere probably around 4 or 5 months. He was tiny and sickly looking tbh when I got him. And he's grown a ton. Huuuuuuge appetite. Very active. Super regular poops. Always 1 big one, but sometimes 2 per day. I've had snakes in the past, but this is my first beardie. So it's been a learning curve.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Well unfortunately I bought him from a big box pet store. Not a breeder. I'm assuming somewhere probably around 4 or 5 months. He was tiny and sickly looking tbh when I got him. And he's grown a ton. Huuuuuuge appetite. Very active. Super regular poops. Always 1 big one, but sometimes 2 per day. I've had snakes in the past, but this is my first beardie. So it's been a learning curve.
Ok so as I suggested hes better w/ the nutri grubs / BSFL / phoenix worms they are all the same- what are you using for a UVB ? Please no coils they are no good and inadequate - surface basking temps should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - 105-110- if you need help w/ this please ask we can post links to good UVB's etc

ERRA

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Argyle
Ok so as I suggested hes better w/ the nutri grubs / BSFL / phoenix worms they are all the same- what are you using for a UVB ? Please no coils they are no good and inadequate - surface basking temps should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - 105-110- if you need help w/ this please ask we can post links to good UVB's etc
It's a 23 watt 10.0
It's a 23 watt 10.0 desert uvb

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No unfortunately its the dome kind. It came with the enclosure. Thrive brand I think. Does that sound right?
Yes and that is a terrible UVB -- please get a good one-
24" for a 40 gallon tank -- 24 watt Arcadia Reptile ProT5 UV-B Kit | reptile Heating & Lighting | PetSmart look here if you have a Pet Smart --- you want the 12% bulb
24" or 2 ft https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster-nanotech-t5-ho-fixture-with-6400k-lamp.html
Please exchange the bulb out for a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia 12% bulb
Please do this right away --- your dragon is getting inadequate UVB---- also please get some 2 digital probe thermometers- stick ons are inaccurate --- Zoo Med has them --- you need your UVB correct and surface basking temps to keep him healthy --- when you get the UVB please post back on here I will help you place it for your tank - the screen will determine where it goes

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom