Thoughts on this bulb..

Pumpkingirl

Hi guys,

You may have read my post about losing my beardie a few days ago.. nothing on my part. I sadly adopted him when he was already sick. As I’m mourning I can’t help but want another one. I would 100% find a breeder this time and I’ve changed up a few things I’d do this time. For ex- I know the coil uvb sucks but I am not a fan of the long tube. My friend has this one bulb that does it all and she has a healthy 6 year beardie. What are your thoughts on this one bulb that has both uvb and uva?

I’m so afraid of messing up :( I am very diligent and caring. And I just want my next beardie to live long!

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• B06E493D-18F7-4F45-90DF-6CA0AA02DE31.jpg
    B06E493D-18F7-4F45-90DF-6CA0AA02DE31.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 94

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
The biggest issue with the all in one's is that you can't adjust for heat and uvb independently. And also the uvb will project in a much more narrow cone, so less chance for exposure to it. If the distance to the bulb is high enough for basking to be the right temp, the uvb may be much weaker.

Pumpkingirl

Original Poster
The biggest issue with the all in one's is that you can't adjust for heat and uvb independently. And also the uvb will project in a much more narrow cone, so less chance for exposure to it. If the distance to the bulb is high enough for basking to be the right temp, the uvb may be much weaker.
So you think I’m better off with what I have now, which is basking bulb and the coil UVB? I hear bad things about the coil :/ but I don’t think there is only 1 right way to do this.. sighhh. I haven’t heard of anyone personally with the long tube UVB

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So you think I’m better off with what I have now, which is basking bulb and the coil UVB? I hear bad things about the coil :/ but I don’t think there is only 1 right way to do this.. sighhh. I haven’t heard of anyone personally with the long tube UVB
Most everyone here has the long tube fixture ---- ones that come here looking to get help that have the coil we always recommend getting rid of it----------they are a health hazard --- the PS is a good bulb but it needs back up for UVB --- even tho its putting out heat the UVB gets weaker and is recommended that it be changed out in 6 months -- your long tube Zoo Med w / a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ the 12% bulb will last up to approx one year -- I always recommend changing out 10-11 months unless you have a Solar Meter to get readings so you know its still good --- I personally dont have one so I change mine out in 11 months or before -- you can keep the PS till it starts showing weakness for heat -- then it should be replaced - but getting the long tube fixture is going to be peace of mind knowing hes still getting the UVB he needs and wondering if the PS is still putting out -- if you need more help please ask ---- the distance and placement for the UVB will be determined by your screen

Pumpkingirl

Original Poster
Most everyone here has the long tube fixture ---- ones that come here looking to get help that have the coil we always recommend getting rid of it----------they are a health hazard --- the PS is a good bulb but it needs back up for UVB --- even tho its putting out heat the UVB gets weaker and is recommended that it be changed out in 6 months -- your long tube Zoo Med w / a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ the 12% bulb will last up to approx one year -- I always recommend changing out 10-11 months unless you have a Solar Meter to get readings so you know its still good --- I personally dont have one so I change mine out in 11 months or before -- you can keep the PS till it starts showing weakness for heat -- then it should be replaced - but getting the long tube fixture is going to be peace of mind knowing hes still getting the UVB he needs and wondering if the PS is still putting out -- if you need more help please ask ---- the distance and placement for the UVB will be determined by your screen
What is “PS”?

KP2022

Hi guys,

You may have read my post about losing my beardie a few days ago.. nothing on my part. I sadly adopted him when he was already sick. As I’m mourning I can’t help but want another one. I would 100% find a breeder this time and I’ve changed up a few things I’d do this time. For ex- I know the coil uvb sucks but I am not a fan of the long tube. My friend has this one bulb that does it all and she has a healthy 6 year beardie. What are your thoughts on this one bulb that has both uvb and uva?

I’m so afraid of messing up :( I am very diligent and caring. And I just want my next beardie to live long!

Thanks in advance!
Hi,

I am so sorry for your loss! It hurts! I have a 6 yr old Beardie too. I also have 5 very healthy 5 month old tikes. They are full of personality too. My Daughter's Beardies had babies in May. She was moving from GA to MT and did want to risk their lives in the move. I am looking for loving homes for 4 of the 5. I am in Lilburn, GA. Where do you live?

Pumpkingirl

Original Poster
Hi,

I am so sorry for your loss! It hurts! I have a 6 yr old Beardie too. I also have 5 very healthy 5 month old tikes. They are full of personality too. My Daughter's Beardies had babies in May. She was moving from GA to MT and did want to risk their lives in the move. I am looking for loving homes for 4 of the 5. I am in Lilburn, GA. Where do you live?
Thank you! It does hurt. They are very lovable creatures! Awwww oh my gosh I would love to adopt! However, I am in oaklyn, NJ :(

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I don't recommend a coil under any circumstance. The long tube is the way to go. If you absolutely can't do long tube then the powersun is how i would go.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom