Thoughts on my enclosure setup

doommig

Original Poster
Hello everyone I would like to hear thoughts on my bearded dragon's setup. She is about 5 months old and eating well. Her basking spot is about 105 degrees and her uvb is a t5 ho tube with reflector 22". Uvb is about 8 inches away from basking spot. So my question is if this is adequate for her for now until she gets bigger. Or if maybe I'm doing something wrong thank you.

As a side note lately she's been in her cave in the past 2 weeks towards the end of the day for maybe 2 to rarely 3 hours. So I don't know why she is or if it's bad.

Attachments

• PXL_20220423_145232738.jpg
    PXL_20220423_145232738.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 107
  • PXL_20220423_145224971.jpg
    PXL_20220423_145224971.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 85

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello everyone I would like to hear thoughts on my bearded dragon's setup. She is about 5 months old and eating well. Her basking spot is about 105 degrees and her uvb is a t5 ho tube with reflector 22". Uvb is about 8 inches away from basking spot. So my question is if this is adequate for her for now until she gets bigger. Or if maybe I'm doing something wrong thank you.

As a side note lately she's been in her cave in the past 2 weeks towards the end of the day for maybe 2 to rarely 3 hours. So I don't know why she is or if it's bad.
Sounds good -- are you using a digital probe thermometer to get actual surface basking temps? Her going into her cave is fine - as long as shes basking and getting that time - she knows what she needs - its when they are constantly hiding in the cave is not a good thing -

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
My dragon does the same thing at the end of the day an hour or two before her light turns off so I wouldn't worry about it. It's when they're constantly hiding. Is her tank temperate or permanent? What is the size of her tank? Later on, you might wanna upgrade the tank because they grow pretty big.

doommig

Original Poster
Sounds good -- are you using a digital probe thermometer to get actual surface basking temps? Her going into her cave is fine - as long as shes basking and getting that time - she knows what she needs - its when they are constantly hiding in the cave is not a good thing -
No I'm using the zoo med temp gun I bought a while ago.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
No I'm using the zoo med temp gun I bought a while ago.
Ok I recommend getting two digital probe thermometers one for your cool side of the tank and one for the basking area - you dont need to keep the probe on the spot where he /she basks but it is the most accurate for temps - you can place on that side of the tank and spot check it every 10 days or so -

doommig

Original Poster
My dragon does the same thing at the end of the day an hour or two before her light turns off so I wouldn't worry about it. It's when they're constantly hiding. Is her tank temperate or permanent? What is the size of her tank? Later on, you might wanna upgrade the tank because they grow pretty big.
Her tank is a 40 gallon and I'm looking to upgrade within a year for her when she gets bigger just gotta save up a lot of money.

doommig

Original Poster
Ok I recommend getting two digital probe thermometers one for your cool side of the tank and one for the basking area - you dont need to keep the probe on the spot where he /she basks but it is the most accurate for temps - you can place on that side of the tank and spot check it every 10 days or so -
Ok I look into it and probably get 2 of them then thank you.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom