Thoughts on my bearded dragon setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMP828

So I am getting a baby bearded dragon this summer. This is my setup. I have a 24" reptisun 10 t8 bulb mounted inside my tank in a zoo med fixture. I also have a 100 watt basking bulb sitting on top of my screen. My substrate is slate tile. My basking spot is 110-100 degrees and the cool side of my tank is around 78 degrees. It is a 40 gallon breeder (36" × 18" ×16") What are your thoughts on this setup? Do you have any suggestions? And do you think I will need to get a larger enclosure later on or will this be big enough?
92555-4994706907.jpg

Mysty

Juvie Member
Its so beautiful to see a decent set up being tested before buying the dragon.

This viv size should be good for a while. A standard viv for adults is 4ft long.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
That looks great! It will get you by for about 5 months till he/she outgrows it!
Yes, more climbing logs and/or limbs and nix the hammock. Those hammocks are notorious for injuring bearded dragons when the get their claws hung in them. They can tear out claws, dislocate shoulders, pull off fingers and, toes, break legs, arms and digits.

BMP828

Original Poster
Thanks for the heads up! I was not aware of the dangers of the hammocks. What do you recommend I use specifically for climbing objects? And what do you think is best to upgrade the enclosure to? I was thinking of either trying to build a 4foot by 2foot by 2foot enclosure out of melamine wood. Or buying a 75 gallon tank. Any other suggestions? I just want to try and give my future dragon the best quality of life I can haha.

BMP828

Original Poster
Gormagon":tbhul9uj said:
That looks great! It will get you by for about 5 months till he/she outgrows it!
Yes, more climbing logs and/or limbs and nix the hammock. Those hammocks are notorious for injuring bearded dragons when the get their claws hung in them. They can tear out claws, dislocate shoulders, pull off fingers and, toes, break legs, arms and digits.
Thanks for the heads up! I was not aware of the dangers of the hammocks. What do you recommend I use specifically for climbing objects? And what do you think is best to upgrade the enclosure to? I was thinking of either trying to build a 4foot by 2foot by 2foot enclosure out of melamine wood. Or buying a 75 gallon tank. Any other suggestions? I just want to try and give my future dragon the best quality of life I can haha.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
BMP828":25yej5v1 said:
The 4x2x2 is the best option,easier the keep temp gradients stability.
Climbing logs or limbs can be obtained outside (oak or mulberry is best,IMO). Be sure to scrub them down and, put them in a preheated oven for 45 minutes @ 250 to disinfect them.

BMP828

Original Poster
Gormagon":1rjyjsuv said:
The 4x2x2 is the best option,easier the keep temp gradients stability.
Climbing logs or limbs can be obtained outside (oak or mulberry is best,IMO). Be sure to scrub them down and, put them in a preheated oven for 45 minutes @ 250 to disinfect them.
Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it! Is there any build tutorials you recommend for the 4×2×2 enclosure?

BMP828

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2s4y8tvh said:
This is a pretty good walkthrough https://beardies.dreamwidth.org/2145.html I would feel free to customize it further as needed and definitely use a T5 UVB tube rather than a T8.
Thank you that looks great! I'm going to try and build it later this summer when I have more money. Would you recommend I use a reflector with the T5 as well in the 4×2×2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom