Thoughts on beardie pet insurance?

shmoomunchkin

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Scooby
Does anyone have pet insurance on their beardie?

The only one I found that insures reptiles is Nationwide.

My last beardie, died from congenital kidney disease, and we paid about 3K for his care...worth every dime , but we are not rich people, so it was hard.

I bought the Nationwide policy (11 dollars a month with a $250 deductible) in case we have some catastrophic needs for our beardie.

Anyone have any experience with this insurance program?

Attachments

• 1679919279075.jpg
    1679919279075.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 86

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I researched this but decided to pass because it appeared that all of the basic care needs that I wanted covered weren't covered. But for what you described and for those with ongoing health issues (although you cant predict it), I decided to pass. Well, at least at this time.

Shana

I am actually looking into Nationwide pet insurance. Lulu is my first beardie, and I don't have prior experience with insurance for reptiles but, I did have insurance for my dog that passed away recently; she also had many health issues and it ended up saving a lot of money in the long run.
I think once you've gone through the experience of having any animal that has medical issues and increased medical costs, it's peace of mind and comfort to purchase.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
If your like me, you probably waste more than 11 bucks a month on coffee from 7-11 or starbucks in the morning 🌄 🤔
One vet trip usually cost me more than the 250 deductible so i would say if it covers any testing, xrays or blood work it's probably worth it.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
I've used the Nationwide insurance for a few years now. What I've found is to submit every vet visit even if I know it's not covered. As if something does go ary you've already uploaded the evidence of your normal ongoing vet care.

Devlyn also has had some sort of illness every year. With the insurance I'm coming out ahead than if I did not have coverage. Because I got the insurance early so nothing was counted as a preexisting condition.

Mostly it's been easy. I submit a claim. I get a return after deductible and any coinsurance. My veterinary clinic always gives an itemized list on letterhead so it's not been disputed as a genuine receipt for vet care. Submit receipts for anything you can buy at your veterinary office. Like oral care products and antibiotics ointment - I can get from a store but I have my vet provide it so it counts towards the deductible.

shmoomunchkin

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scooby
I've used the Nationwide insurance for a few years now. What I've found is to submit every vet visit even if I know it's not covered. As if something does go ary you've already uploaded the evidence of your normal ongoing vet care.

Devlyn also has had some sort of illness every year. With the insurance I'm coming out ahead than if I did not have coverage. Because I got the insurance early so nothing was counted as a preexisting condition.

Mostly it's been easy. I submit a claim. I get a return after deductible and any coinsurance. My veterinary clinic always gives an itemized list on letterhead so it's not been disputed as a genuine receipt for vet care. Submit receipts for anything you can buy at your veterinary office. Like oral care products and antibiotics ointment - I can get from a store but I have my vet provide it so it counts towards the deductible.
Thank you so much for this! I wouldn't have thought of sending in everything. Good call for making a history of tratment/illness.

Kind of off topic, I have a mastiff that had a rare form of bladder stones that had him in a veterinary ICU for 11 days, the bill was over 11K. Please let me tell you that my pet insurance saved our finances!

So it sounds like this insurance may actually be decent.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom