This is my first dragon, please advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmcginnis

Hey everyone, I’m just making sure this is normal. We just got Picasso 3 weeks ago and all the sudden his tail and back legs are white. Is this just normal shedding? He is about 4.5 months old.
image.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, yes that freaky look is totally normal for a shedding dragon. :) Lots of new owners get a little nervous when they see it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey everyone, I’m just making sure this is normal. We just got Picasso 3 weeks ago and all the sudden his tail and back legs are white. Is this just normal shedding? He is about 4.5 months old. View attachment 66591
Yes he's shedding- love the name Picasso-- please post pics of his tank and lighting- did you buy a kit ?

Cmcginnis

Original Poster
Ok I see the long tube uvb- what brand and bulb ? Look on the bulb it will tell you brand and the bulb look for T 8 or T 5-- and how old is the uvb bulb--
Hey!! It is a T8 bulb, only 3 weeks old, his basking bulb is a 100 watt power sun Uv that is supposed to provide uvb and uva light as well.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hey!! It is a T8 bulb, only 3 weeks old, his basking bulb is a 100 watt power sun Uv that is supposed to provide uvb and uva light as well.
Yep the powersun is hanging above the screen how are you getting the basking temp on the hammock? The T 8 needs to be unobstructed they are not strong enough to go thru the screen but it's great you have the extra one we often recommend getting another on as the mvb's do not emit enough uvb rays so the extra long tube fixture is good -- please get it unobstructed and place a piece of decor directly under it 6-8 inches-- also if there is a clear plastic cover over the bulb take it off what brand is the bulb

Cmcginnis

Original Poster
Ok I see the long tube uvb- what brand and bulb ? Look on the bulb it will tell you brand and the bulb look for T 8 or T 5-- and how old is the uvb bulb--
Hey, it is a T8 about 3 months old. He also has a 100 watt power sun basking bulb that is also supposed to give UVB and UVA
image.jpg

Cmcginnis

Original Poster
Yep the powersun is hanging above the screen how are you getting the basking temp on the hammock? The T 8 needs to be unobstructed they are not strong enough to go thru the screen but it's great you have the extra one we often recommend getting another on as the mvb's do not emit enough uvb rays so the extra long tube fixture is good -- please get it unobstructed and place a piece of decor directly under it 6-8 inches-- also if there is a clear plastic cover over the bulb take it off what brand is the bulb
Ok thank you!! I will work on a way to get that done!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
View attachment 66611
I put a probe on the hammock to measure basking temp
ok good you dont really need to leave it there but you do want to spot check like once a week or so--the Powersun is a good for heat not so much UVB and being the screen is there its going to block alot of your UVB --- so w/ the T 8 if your using the Zilla brand bulb please swap it out for a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 its a way better bulb and it needs to be unobstructed NO screen so either put it in the tank or take your screen off and place it width wise across the tank as close as to the basking area as possible if not put it in the middle of your tank w/ a piece of basking decor directly under it 6-8 inches -- replace the T 8 in approx 6 months I recommend 5

Cmcginnis

Original Poster
ok good you dont really need to leave it there but you do want to spot check like once a week or so--the Powersun is a good for heat not so much UVB and being the screen is there its going to block alot of your UVB --- so w/ the T 8 if your using the Zilla brand bulb please swap it out for a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 its a way better bulb and it needs to be unobstructed NO screen so either put it in the tank or take your screen off and place it width wise across the tank as close as to the basking area as possible if not put it in the middle of your tank w/ a piece of basking decor directly under it 6-8 inches -- replace the T 8 in approx 6 months I recommend 5
Thanks so much!! It is a Zola bulb so I will replace. I will wire it to the inside lid so it can be unobstructed 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom