This Idea just wont leave Me alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Hi All,
Some of You I know well some its just a passing Hi in the hall so to speak. I have talked about this with a friend of mine and this idea just wont leave me be.
I am thinking of opening a reptile specific pet shop. I would sell no cats or dogs simply because adoption options are more plentiful. I would sell supplies for dogs, cats, birds, fish, ect. But as far as live animals only herps. I have poopers covered myself and I have met enough people in the industry to set up a nice display. I would not sell big burms or retics, just because I feel it would be irresponsible. Like I said this idea wont let me be. What do you guys think of My budding vision?
Tom

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Tom I have a dream that is very similar to this vision. I too would like to have a reptile room mainly a Dragon Den to be honest. But one that can supply all the Dragons needs in one place/stop. I hate the fact that when I run low on beardie supplies and you know this sometimes happens and you have to visit the pet stores that you not only have to visit one pet store but several to acquire all the needs. I wish that just for once I could go into town and pick everything up at one place. But no it takes 3 stops if I lag on doing my online orders. :banghead:

NYDragon

Hatchling Member
I think it is a great idea! I was recently thinking of this myself. There is just no good reptile stores around. I know I would definitely trust any animal that I might buy at your store :)

lacy_black

Gray-bearded Member
It's a great idea.
Now the other side of that comment is....problem is most pet shops don't make it and starting a new business right now could be even more risky then normal with the way the economy is. But if you think it's worth the risk and check statistics on reptile needs and find it is needed in your area then heck yea go for it whole heartedly :D

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Thanks Erin,
Of course I would FEATURE poopers, but I would also sell, corns, ball, redtails, small snakes, gekos, uros, and other more beginer friendly reptiles.
I think I would stay away from the bigger herps just because I see so many end up on craigs list.

kalipbean

Hatchling Member
Location, Location, Location is always the biggest factor in opening a new business. First, what pet stores are around your area, and more importantly which ones are close to where your business will be located?

Customer Service - Some mom/pop pet stores are great for service. Some, are horrible and should not be allowed to even sell a cat if it was up to me. From my purchasing experience from you, your set on that category. Maybe talk to some locals, are they unhappy with local pet supplies companies and looking for an alternative?

Prices - Always the difference between chain stores and private businesses. Can you compete with Petco, Pet Supplies Plus, Petsmart, and most importantly the evil giant Wal-Mart? That is, if their located near you.

Stock - Can you get items at a good price to make a profit, feeders, vivs, supplies...etc. Profit's gotta be there. Also, with the live animals. I'm sure as a breeder, you know other breeders that you've met at numerous shows. Use these resources as a starting point to sell their reptiles until you breed your own snakes, geckos...etc (That's if you want too)

Partnership - Always a good way to start a business as starting funds are always big $$$. Maybe a fellow breeder in the area might have the same idea as you?

It is a great idea, but with the economy in the pooper, starting a business might not be the greatest idea as of now. Within the next year, the economy should rebound (Hopefully) and starting a business would be great. Till then, do massive research on starting a business in Pa. Taxes, permits, regulations....etc. Friends with any local mom/pop stores that can give you some hints/tips?

Hope it turns out for you Tom. You've got the spirit and dedication.

Paul

Gail

BD.org Addict
My cousin opened a reptile specialty store in Spokane Washington a year ago and she has done quite well. She only sells reptiles, their supplies, feeder mice/insect and a few tarantulas. No dog/cat/fish anything.
I though opening a store in a bad economy wasn't the best idea but she did a steller job of setting up display cages and having a good selection of healthy animals. She has sold around 1200 animals in the last year with many, many repeat customers.
If you have the resources and drive then I say go for it.

athenacp

Extreme Poster
Tom,

Make sure you have a good location, Radical Reptiles closed a few years ago after being in buisness for about 17 years (it's where I bought Digger from in 2003)He was located near Holmes Circle by Willits Rd, he sold herps and supplies for herps (used to get superworms from him too)He changed it into an Avon shop then that closed. My vet did his internship at his place too!

I think it's a great idea! I just wanted to let you know what happened to Tim (or Tom I could never get his first name right, lol)and where NOT to put your shop, lol!

Mary

bambichik39

Juvie Member
I think it is a great idea, I'd just be careful to do everything at the right time at the right price. My favorite pet store is in a GREAT location, and are set up similar to how you were planning on doing yours. They don't sell cat/dogs, only sell supplies and occasionally have an adoption event at their store. They mainly carry lots of reptiles, but more than the average petsmart/petco would have, more specialized. They also have fish, small animals, and supplies. The problem is, if I go there its always window shopping. A small store like that just can't compete with the larger corporations prices. Even their reptiles are way more expensive than going to a reptile show and buying it direct yourself. It would depend on where you lived. Here, the store and the reptile shows are no more than 20 minutes apart. For most people who are educated in the hobby and are looking for good reptiles know about the shows and would wait the 2 months (they have them every other month) to save the money and go directly to the breeder. Just a thought, but I'd keep that in mind when thinking about opening your own store. It would be very expensive to breed yourself and have to feed/house all of those babies, for you are not likely to sell them all quickly. Good luck though, just remember to really research everything.

spyder79

Extreme Poster
As i have told many before i have a similar dream. I would love to see a herp specific store that is worth entering. personally my retirement plan is to open my own reptarium. call it my 20 year plan lol.

Freddiemom

Juvie Member
I wish someone like you had aplace anywhere near here. I would be your new best friend! :mrgreen: The economy does suck so I would be careful! On the other hand you would never be unemployed :D

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
I dont plan on trying this fast. Im thinking 3 to 5 years to do the due diligence. May offer a service to board reptiles while people are away. The wheels just keep turning..lol

spyder79

Extreme Poster
TheWolfmanTom":44045 said:
I dont plan on trying this fast. Im thinking 3 to 5 years to do the due diligence. May offer a service to board reptiles while people are away. The wheels just keep turning..lol

If you do that the next time i deploy you will have 5-6 beardies lol.

surgerising

Hatchling Member
Tom this is an awesome idea and can see why it keeps bugging you. We have a small mom and pop store and I love to go in and visit with them. They are a wealth of knowledge and belong to the herp society. According to everything my hubby and I have read and researched right now is the best time to open your own business, start up costs are lower than they have been in years and the govt even has grants just for this purpose.

I say go for it, start smal and keep building. The pet trade really hasnt slowed too much, as people still need that connection to sooth and calm them. I knw myself the animals needs are met before my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom