Thinking of giving up...maybe my beardie needs a new home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've cut his nails a few times, we use kitten clippers. He sort of let me the first few times but then he became very determined not to let me and I just got discouraged.

I know he learns behaviors easily so I've tried not to give in when he glass surfs frequently, but we have a very small apartment so I can't get away from the noise.

Gail

BD.org Addict
If you really feel like rehoming would be best for him and you, then don't feel bad for it.
Sometimes humans and animals just don't fit. The important thing is to find him a great home.
Look for a local facebook reptile group, they would be the best bet in helping you out.

Giarc Namllit

I am becoming overwhelmed and frustrated with trying to figure out how to make my beardie happy- I could use some practical advice- and a little emotional support from people who might've experienced feelings like this in the beginning.

We got Tofi in early September 2020 from a local reptile/amphibian pet store. They guessed he was 3-4 months at the time, so in a way, at that age maybe he was kind of like a rescue since I imagine he was very rarely handled? He was terrified when we brought him home and we gave him some time to acclimate to his new home.

We started slowly by getting him to eat insects from our hands. Then we tried taking him out and holding him to our chest. He was extremely skittish and would try to desperately escape- once jumping from my hands so quickly as I was putting him back that he fell behind his viv.

It's now been 8 months, and he will eat from our hands and will sit on my chest for a few minutes. But, he remains skittish and mostly afraid of us. After a few minutes on my chest (while I'm reclining on the bed) he moves to jump off and run away. He went through a brief period where he stopped eating very much, but then randomly started eating again. Some days he basks- other days he doesn't want to wake up and will sit there all day in the cool spot frozen in the same spot.

I think his setup is fine now (I've gotten lots of advice here)- temps are normal (~92-97 basking; ~75-83 cool), UVB is good (T5 10.0 reptisun tube in his cage), 55 gal tank with reptile carpet and window to look out at the scenery...plenty of salad with hornworms and/or dubia on a daily basis (dusted with vitamins and calcium).

Basically, he just seems like he hates us and is depressed. It hasn't been very enjoyable for us- it has been more stressful than rewarding so far. Does my beardie need to be rescued from us or am I just giving up too easily? :(
Thanks for posting this. You told my story dealing with my Beardie better than I could. You also provided me options. I located a shelter for mine. I cant believe the hurt I feel dispite me giving mine the best of everything, gut loading dubia with collards, juicing collards for the feeders, that detail and this guy only purpose in life is to get away from me. After 7mos, it's time to end his terror. Giving him to a rescue and trying again with a baby that is social.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom