Thinking of euthanizing my disabled beardie

Weenielord

Original Poster
(4x2x2 enclosure, t5 UVB, temps ranging from ~80 to ~107)

My girl is just shy of 2 years old. She was born with a pretty severe disability being that her legs don't work. She's never been able to walk in her life. I adopted her when she was a few months old knowing that she'd struggle but I really wanted to try and help her.
When she was about 6-ish months old I took her to a vet to get just a basic exam/fecal. They told me to euthanize her. They said that all this love and energy I'm putting into her, I could be putting into a healthy beardie. That destroyed me because besides the fact that she struggled to walk, she's always had a big personality, ate well, and seemed pretty content slithering around.

Fast forward to now-she's got her first clutch. Just one single egg that's she's been holding onto for a week now. I don't think she'll be able to pass it. Within the last few months she's also started using her limbs less and less and now just walks with her shoulders. She's developed large calluses all over her body from dragging herself around. I just don't know if I should let her continue to live this life. It's such an awful awful thing because she's still a fairly happy looking, active little girl.

Should I do it? Should I euthanize her? On one hand, she seems like she wants to keep fighting. On the other, it's got to be a pretty miserable existence for her and she's only declining.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice. It's a pretty sensitive topic but I feel like this was the right community to ask.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
That is a very hard call. if she is in pain than i would say yes, if she isn't in pain i dunno what i would do.
If she is egg binding, she will probably do that every time(but I'm no expert). I really feel for you, at the end of the day you know about her quality of life, we don't. I say do what you think is right in your heart.

Weenielord

Original Poster
That is a very hard call. if she is in pain than i would say yes, if she isn't in pain i dunno what i would do.
If she is egg binding, she will probably do that every time(but I'm no expert). I really feel for you, at the end of the day you know about her quality of life, we don't. I say do what you think is right in your heart.
Do you know how long they normally hold eggs before you should worry? I think if she's able to pass this egg we're gonna keep trying with her. :,(

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I don't really know what to say, if you really feel that she's suffering more than before and is not able to pass the eggs it might be the way to go. I'm so sorry that you're going through this. Quick question though, how do you know it's one egg ? A vet can give a shot of Oxytocin to induce laying if the egg is fully formed and ready to be laid.

Weenielord

Original Poster
I don't really know what to say, if you really feel that she's suffering more than before and is not able to pass the eggs it might be the way to go. I'm so sorry that you're going through this. Quick question though, how do you know it's one egg ? A vet can give a shot of Oxytocin to induce laying if the egg is fully formed and ready to be laid.
I can feel the one egg in her lower abdomen. I expected her to produce more, but she never did. We keep her a healthy but lean weight because I was always worried about her being too heavy to army crawl around. I might try and give her a warm bath later

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
you can't usually feel all the eggs but however many she has i hope she gets through this. a warm bath might help. wishing you the best outcome whatever decision you make. btw, can you post pics of your girl ?

Weenielord

Original Poster
you can't usually feel all the eggs but however many she has i hope she gets through this. a warm bath might help. wishing you the best outcome whatever decision you make. btw, can you post pics of your girl ?

Attachments

• 20220127_200142.jpg
    20220127_200142.jpg
    374.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 20220127_200353.jpg
    20220127_200353.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 58

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I was kindda thinking the same thing, overall she looks pretty good. Is there an actual reptile vet in your area that might could do x-rays or ultrasounds just to be 100% certain. I have a rehab (Ruby) that was paralyzed from poor treatment in her last home, she is extremely undersized, but she managed to lay 2 clutches in the last few months. (She has regained use of her legs since I've had her).
They are pretty d@mned resilient little animals. I think i would exaust every option before i gave up.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom