Thinking of breeding??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laderius

I'm very new to breeding myself hence why I'm here reading all the warnings and planning carefully. I just introduced my female I raised from an egg to a male we just got from our local reptile store. :)

Dito10

WOW thanks Tom I really didnt think that breeding would be soo hard and expensive i was thinkin that since i have HET translucents that i would be able to make alot of money if i bred them lol :?

Dementeddogz

Hatchling Member
Great post Tom. Ive read it before but never commented. I have noticed a huge increase in unhealthy beardies being sold or abandoned not to mention "breeders" with such a high volume of undersized dragons, missing toes, and nips. The information is out there for those wanting to breed but if you go with quality over a quick buck for a substandard dragon you'll need to do your homework and cant expect to jump right into it making money.

This is all too familiar. I received a call from a customer last week. He was in a panic because his eggs are hatching and he wants to know what to do next. Often, I get these calls and sometimes they go well but at times I fear for the hatchlings' care. Aside from being shocked that he had not researched anything up until this moment, I tried to coach him rather than judge. I told him the basic requirements for raising a healthy clutch (30 eggs in his case). He listened intently with a few gasps at the cricket costs he will encounter. I figured that he was open to my advice until I stopped to see if he had any questions since he was awfully quiet. He says, "So I can't just split them up into the 10 gallon and 20 gallon I have?" :shock:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I recently saw new baby dragons in a pet shop & they were hardly 3" long snout to tail. :angry5: . They looked healthy, but so little. As I go there for my dragons' feeders I did notice that the UVB light was a Power Sun and the babies have cute little bellies and they are growing. I'm usually in there weekly. I haven't noticed any nips so I guess they're getting enough food. I agree it isn't fair that they're being sold so young & so little. And they don't sell all that quickly, so the pet shops do have to keep them & feed them & care for them for sometimes a couple of months before they sell. And they don't give out any handouts on how to care for dragons to buyers, either, so it makes me wonder how many actually survive.
Deb

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Sometimes dragons sell young.
Now they way you described the belly's and them being alert, I would not worry to much.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Ive been running into alot of people with the "I Know Syndrom" lately.
I find the best way to keep the best interest of the animals is to ALWAYS be learning. When a breeder starts saying I KNOW all the time they have stopped keeping an open mind. I have gone thru this myself and a good friend smacked me in the head for it.
Remember this in your everyday dealings.
Always Teaching, Always Learning.

TASTIGER

Extreme Poster
TheWolfmanTom":2l2m0auf said:
I find the best way to keep the best interest of the animals is to ALWAYS be learning. When a breeder starts saying I KNOW all the time they have stopped keeping an open mind. I have gone thru this myself and a good friend smacked me in the head for it.
Now if only more people thought like this

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Where the heck is the "Like" button? LOL
Very well said T!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I like that entry, too, you have to keep learning because dragons are very complex creatures, ever changing & give me so much to learn. When I hear someone's an expert, I want to know how long they've been learning & how long they've been keeping dragons.
Deb

MrWhite

Sub-Adult Member
ok, I read this whole thread and it scared the poop out of me :(

I was thinking that I might want to try breeding for a little extra cash and to support my pet habit but you guys make it sound like there is no money to be made, or even worse, it's a money loss situation. I was really hoping to breed a certain color line as a hobby but I don't think I want to spend the money and find out that I can't sell any of them.
I currently have a cool looking male Citrus Tiger that's 5+ months old :blob5: and I have 2 female on order (one citrus and one fire red) so if I do decide to breed, it won't be for another year or 2 so that will give me plenty of time to decide. In the mean time, I'll just enjoy my new pets :D

Thanks for such a good post. I was not interested at all in breeding, didn't realize what was totally involved with it, but now that my female is going to be laying eggs soon, I am committed. However, Samson and Delialah will not be together again...

Carnivorouszoo

Sub-Adult Member
O_O N E V E R. That's all I can say. But I do need to learn what to do if Mojo decides to lay eggs without a male visiting her. I could not deal with the issues of breeding corn snakes, I won't even try to imagine the troubles that could come up breeding beardies. To those who do breed beardies, you have my thanks and I totally understand all the $100 plus price tags a whole lot better! My next beardie will be from a breeder for sure. A good one well known on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom