Thinking about getting a Leo (or more)!

Mack92011

Hey, guys!

I'm pretty new to the forum, and I had a Leo long ago when I was younger, unfortunately I didn't really know what I was doing and he passed fairly soon.

However, after getting a bearded dragon and learning the ins and outs of getting temperature right I've really found a love in reptiles and lizards. I'd like to give it another shot and feel very confident in my ability to keep an enclosure and properly care for one.

However, I do have a few questions because I've read a few different opinions and since so many people on the site seem to know what they're doing, I'd like to see if anyone has some first hand experience with larger enclosures and multiple Leos.

I have a larger aquarium and have read that too much space can be bad news for a single gecko, so I've thought about getting two or maybe 3 (It's roughly a 35-40 gallon tank) with plenty of hides. I know you cannot house two males together, but has anyone had any experience housing multiple females or a single male and some females together? I'm not opposed to adding a separator to the middle of the aquarium if things seem to be going poorly.3

Any advice or suggestion is welcome!

Thanks!

- Mackenzie

Mack92011

Original Poster
Hey there!

No biggie! I actually did end up getting some leopard geckos. They are growing nicely as well! I decided it wasn't worth the chance of overbreeding so I cohabbed the females and separated the male.

They don't like me much yet, but are slowly letting me handle them more and more but I got them as hatchlings, so I expect a bit if that.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
So you got 1 male , how many females ? How big are they ? I've read conflicting info on cohabbing as well but most say in the long run they're best housed separately. Still, if you have a big enclosure and lots of hides you can see how it goes, watch for signs of bullying and if one seems to lag behind. I have a 5 year old female myself, she does pretty well being handled and I'm very charmed with her. :)

Post some pics of your gang when you have some time. EDIT....here are a couple pics of Linus.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30024/full

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29885/full

Mack92011

Original Poster
AHBD":36oygzwf said:
So you got 1 male , how many females ? How big are they ? I've read conflicting info on cohabbing as well but most say in the long run they're best housed separately. Still, if you have a big enclosure and lots of hides you can see how it goes, watch for signs of bullying and if one seems to lag behind. I have a 5 year old female myself, she does pretty well being handled and I'm very charmed with her. :)

Post some pics of your gang when you have some time. EDIT....here are a couple pics of Linus.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30024/full

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29885/full

I'm so sorry! I didn't see this reply. Turns out, after sexing the Leo's, I have two males. I was supposed to get two females, but they were too young to be sure upon arrival. They are all in separate tanks now, very minimal, unfortunately. I plan on making some decor using popsicle sticks for them to climb on. I'll shoot some pics of the setup in the next day or so!

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom