Things Nobody mentions about Beardies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JakeJHB

Hey, I've had my beardie for about six months now and I've picked up a few things, tips and quirks that nobody has explicitly mentioned in any care sheets I've read yet. I'm sure this list is actually very long, so feel free to add to it!

1. Beardies change colour! From light to dark- this makes picking the most colourful beardie at a show quite the art!! Generally though the lighter they are, the happier and more comfortable they are! If they have leopard spots on their belly they not as light as they can be.

2. A daily bath can save you lots of cleanup work in the tank, and careful positioning in the bath can save even more cleanup in the bath!

3. Beardies can be rather racist!! I think it is their way of reading their own skin colour variances in humans. But it only seems to be the case when they raised only around Caucasians. My beardie hates the gardener; so much so in fact, she'll refuse to eat for the rest of the day after one sighting of him!

4. Beardies may poop as a defense mechanism on strange people! So if a family friend, that your beardie has never met, holds your beardie for the first time, and in a new inexperienced way, he may well be christened for his efforts!

5. Beardies may respond rather unusually to other pets! Mine LOVES my cat! so much so, if I let her out, and onto my bed where the cat sleeps. She runs and leaps into the cat's belly and snuggles into the fur! The first time I saw it I nearly had a heart attack! Luckily my cat is 17yrs old and seems to like the company! Now if my cat enters the room, she'll pace along the glass to be let out!

Trickseedog

:lol: Funny,funny!! Breyas responds to my beagle mix dog, too, although NOT positively! Every time Candy walks in the room, Breyas starts watching her closely, ready to run and/or black-beard her. I think Breyas knows that Candy REALLY wants a lizard! I'd love to see them become friends, but I don't think that I'd have Breyas too long if I gave them a chance to snuggle!

Kelly

MissT

BD.org Addict
Ah yes, other pets. Kazi hates the dog - he hisses at him and has, on occasion, tried to bite him. Needless to say, the dog hates him back. On the other hand, Abu and the dog are best friends, walking side by side around the house. The dog is her protector and if anyone comes near her, on his watch, he tends to get very very angry!!

Stubby

I was most amused to hear about the racist dragon! It must be an old Vaalie habit :) I am in the Cape, and Velcro hasn't demonstrated any such tendencies - I suspect that she will even vote for COPE in the upcoming elections!! She does, however, hate dogs...must have heard the sad story about her predecessor becoming dogfood :(

About strange behaviour, both Jeremiah and Velcro love swimming in our pool! I used to let them bask on the warm paving while I was swimming, and one day Jeremiah plopped into the water, swam around me, climbed out and continued basking! Now that I have Velcro, she does exactly the same thing. At first I used to rinse her off in warm water because I was concerned about the chlorine...but a reptile expert assured me that chlorine cannot affect the top layer of skin as it is dead anyway. If Velcro doesnt want to swim, she climbs onto my head and sits there while I swim.

Another habit that both shared was the obsession with small white pebbles in the paving. .. I tried putting bits of white vitamin powder down in case they needed more of it, but neither is interested in that! If a small stone is loose, that is swallowed...I was a bit anxious about compacting, but it doesnt seem to affect them...in fact it appears to help with food digestion. Other creatures such as leguaans and chickens eat stones for the same reason, so maybe these do it in nature as well! (They do pass through their bodies)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom