Things i need to know about baby BD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terminator7777

Juvie Member
What are the main things i need to know and do for 4 month old year 7 inch long dragons. My guys are eating and eat about 40 crickets for both of them and 5 waxworms for both. They hardly touch the greens i dont think they like mustard or collard. My temps are always different 100-111 on basking side and cool end 74f. There stool is very small and the urates are not hard they are melted looking. I am going to treat them with albon when usps sends it. They are not bulky yet but getting there after a long bath a few hours ago and eating quite well i changed paper towel to repti carpet i got tonight. I bought them a new wood african wood by zoomed jumbo piece. I also have a reptigro 10.0 new on hand for replacement. They are going on a full body shed soon because tails are almost done. One of my dragons has a glup where his beard is at but not concern it looks normal because hes a chunky fella. I removed water bowl because they never use it so greens are more exposed. I only have waxworms on hand because they finished the crickets earlyer so i hope they will do for the weekend. Micro supers i cannot find anywhere. They are moving there paw around in a cycle if that means anything could be a tumor its weird like hes waving or something idk. I think they were impacted because there stool this morning was huge and now tiny with the urate issue above. Is it normal for them to burn off energy by scratching and running back and forth. Acidophiliz seems to be helping them also. Any suggestions to help them improve and grow faster would be appreciated. Reason i am concern about them growing is cause there small for there age and trying to fix that also.

Kalyn876

Sub-Adult Member
The arm waving is completely normal, babies do it more often than adults.
My little one is very small too for his age, but I have been lurking on this site at hatchling clutches and there seems to be a huge variety of size even within the same clutches. As long as they are active and running around like crazy (glass dancing) as well as eating and pooping they should be fine. I would try to bring the cooler end up to 78-82 degrees.
Do you know they have parasites? because if not meds could just upset their systems and affect their eating for no reason. Also I have read that ponazuril (sp?) is much better for treating coccidia as it is the only drug that kills the parasite and it is less disruptive to the beardies system. A vet has to prescribe it and there is a website in a couple threads here where is is quite a bit cheaper than anywhere else. (I would do a search).

Hope this helps!

bandit27

Hatchling Member
Have you been told they have parasites, because as kalyn876 said, it can upset their systems, and stop them eating altogether for a while. Mine stopped eating for about 3 weeks whilst being treated for parasites, i had to syringe feed her critical care formula, it's not nice having to force feed them :cry:

Waxworms should only be given as a treat as they are very fatty, they have been referred to on here as beardie candy, so if you can get more crickets that would be better for them.

Terminator7777

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yes they both have coccidia and awaiting treatment at the moment. They eat a few greens and about 20 large reptiworms about two hours ago. They both are shedding there tail so that could be the cause of lack of eating they usually eat more O and two waxworms for both. Arm waving i see i thought they were trying to tell me something. They eat and glass dance but the poop they do it every other day and temps are right. 76 cool end and 100 about basking side. I have a dragon in a 20 gallon long could i use a Zilla topper for air and making it bigger. The thing thats got me is when they eat very well and the right stuff crickets reptiworms and waxes once in a while. They haven't been growing since i received them from ups. But i no am doing everything right and everything is setup right. One of my dragons does look very small and looks like there is somethinh wrong with her like a disease maybe. Does coccidia stop them from growing or parasites???

Kalyn876

Sub-Adult Member
I would try to get your temps a liitle higher too. 78-82 on the cool side 105-110 for babies on the basking spot to properly digest their food.

Also search Ponazuril it is a MUCH better treatment for coccidia.
Albon only stops the growth of the parasite; Ponazuril kills coccidia and is much less harmful on the beardies system.

Terminator7777

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Kalyn876":118alj57 said:
I would try to get your temps a liitle higher too. 78-82 on the cool side 105-110 for babies on the basking spot to properly digest their food.

Also search Ponazuril it is a MUCH better treatment for coccidia.
Albon only stops the growth of the parasite; Ponazuril kills coccidia and is much less harmful on the beardies system.

I dont use a dimmer switch or anything but my temps are different though out the day they were at 111f and now 99.2f without and change. I have my digital meter running though out the day for humidity temp and the current time. I know about ponazuril but i only can get albon or reptaid and they will be shipped here by next week. I just cant afford a vet bill at the moment i barely can afford feeders. I haven't had any work and hopeing it will get going again soon. No one wants there car painted or fixed lol...

Kalyn876

Sub-Adult Member
Sorry to hear about the slow times.. I will keep your babies in mind and wish you the best of luck with treatment.

Keep us Updated!! :D

Terminator7777

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I really appreciate that and Hopefully treatment gos well they are pretty active at the moment but not liking there greens. Havent been touched hopefully thats not a bad sign.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, I wanted to mention that soft urates (melted looking) are fine as long as they are white in color. The urates shouldn't be like rubber or hard like chalk so it sounds like your beardies are well hydrated.

How is their basking behavior? Do they bask very long or do they only tend to do it for a short time? Do you have the UVB right alongside the basking bulb, behind it or hung inside the tanks? I noticed that you said you have a Repti-Glo 10.0 for back-up, is that the same type you're using now or do you have the Repti-Sun 10.0 strip fluorescent? What is the distance of the UVB?

The fact that they're shedding, is a VERY good sign, shows that they're growing.

What other greens have you tried besides collard and mustard greens? Have you tried grating any type of squash on their greens like summer, spaghetti or yellow types? Most really like those and they are high in calcium.

Have you checked out www.Mulberryfarms.com for the tiny supers? They have just about everything in a variety of sizes.

Would it be possible to post pictures of them in their tanks so we can make sure everything is perfect?

If some of these questions have been repeated, I apologize. I know there have been other threads about them and it's hard to remember what has already been discussed.

Terminator7777

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I thought with them looking melted there was something weird thats good to here. When i use this product by petauthority electrolytes vitamins and minerals it makes there stool wet with a brown cycle about half dollar size around the stool. Am going to be honest the urates are hard like chalk sometimes and lately been white and sometimes a orange tint to the urates i heard thats to much supplementing.

Yes they do it so short periods of time and glass dance. The uvb is alongside the basking lamp. I currently am using reptisun 10.0 and have a reptigro 10.0 on hand for back up cause i got it for a great price. Distance of UVB is like 5-6 inches away from the beardies when they bask.

They are currently shedding normally as in a 2-3 week ratio just finished tail and should be going on a full body shed soon.

Mainly i tryed turnip greens and only found Squash baby food.

Yes i have checked out milberry farms but i just received reptiworms this past wedneday. I been looking for micro supers and i'll check milberry again i must of not seen them on there.

Sure i can get some photos posted.

Thats ok and i am thinking nothing has been repeated. Thanks again

FBradshaw

Juvie Member
Do you house them in the same enclosure? If so it's time to separate them. Beardies are solitary creatures only coming together in the wild for mating or territorial disputes.

Terminator7777

Juvie Member
Original Poster
FBradshaw":18q02rff said:
Do you house them in the same enclosure? If so it's time to separate them. Beardies are solitary creatures only coming together in the wild for mating or territorial disputes.

Nope they are housed in different tanks and the tanks are a 20 gal long and a exo terra desert tank 18" by 18" by 18". I dont want them fighting so they dont see eye to eye anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom