The vevor incubator

Hi, I have bearded dragon eggs in a little giant 9300 incubator right now. Works great. I just bought a vevor incubator that reads in Celsius. I was wondering if anyone has used the same one or maybe the same type but different brand? If so, what was the best temp in Celsius to put it on? For some reason when I put it at 28 or 29 it reads in the lower 80s on my digital probe thermometer. I'm just worried about putting my eggs in there yet until I get a good temp going. Thanks

Beardienoobie

Original Poster
@AHBD Thanks to yours and everyone else who helped me on here. After leaving them in the incubator for 24 to 48 hours they have arrived. The one on the left has a kinked tail that it was born with sadly. Waiting on one more to fully come out. He Just pipped. I put dusted crickets in the tank for them in hopes of them eating but they haven't been interested yet. And advice? Thanks

Attachments

• 20220603_120623.jpg
    20220603_120623.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 124
  • 20220603_120632.jpg
    20220603_120632.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 115

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw well, a kinked tail is just a special baby and can live a healthy life. Don't sell it too cheap to someone that might not take care of it though, screen owners to see + get the feel of how much they know and are willing to be a good owner. I did incubate a lot of babies but not with a conventional incubator. I used an old refrigerator with a very low watt bulb in the bottom that kept it at about 82-86. Your new incubator temps. sound fine.

For your babies, they usually won't eat for 3-4 days, some might nab a tiny insect after 2 days. I highly suggest getting a branch for them to climb on, a long one that spans the enclosure because these guys love to climb and they seem to be more eager to eat [ in my experience ] if they are perched up + spread out. They're really cute all lined up on a stick. You can gather a nice stick or 2 from outside [ no pine or anything with sap ] and put it in a preheated 225F oven for 45 minutes or so to kill any potential pests.

Beardienoobie

Original Poster
Gotcha. I just worry with the new incubator as I've never used that type before and the temps seem to be fluctuating between 82 and 84 on the probe thermometer. And I'm still working on the humidity as it says it's at 65. Trying to get it up. I'll try and get a branch as soon as I can. A pet store near me gets them from time to time as well. For my 2nd clutch I have about 3 or 4 eggs denting in already. They are at 41 days now. I tried to moisten the vermiculite around them thinking maybe it was too dry. The rest are thriving. Now back to the babies, I have a bowl of water in there barely filled, but what's the best way to go about giving them water? I heard about misting them or using a syringe(which I don't have). What do I mist if that's what I do?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Omg they are precious.
I want to breed beardies SO bad but the thought of sending even 1 baby into a home the mistreats or neglects it gives me nightmares.
..... then theres the small problem of my girlfriend wanting to keep every single last one of them lol (that also gives me nightmares) ;-)

Beardienoobie

Original Poster
I would say do it if you think you are ready. My first clutch was a surprise clutch. Didn't have an incubator. I only had 5 hatch out of 20 to 24 eggs potentially due to not having an incubator and not doing the temp or humidity right for the eggs. The outcome of them hatching is well worth the wait and doing it. I enjoy it. I'm still new to it but Do have 2 more clutches to hatch out. Just make sure to do alot of research and if you still have questions ask here. @AHBD is Very knowledgeable and has helped me tremendously. I always come on here ready and open to criticism about how I'm doing things. But without too much criticism so far, everyone has been very helpful and very nice. This website is my go to for my eggs and babies. Temp and humidity is number 1 for the eggs. As long as you have that you are good. Oh and also calcium for your female beardie to create strong eggs and stay healthy before an after pregnancy.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Fluctuating a couple degrees won't hurt the eggs. And sorry I totally forgot about the water, you can put a tiny shallow dish in but take it out at night. Some babies may fall asleep over night in a water bowl and you don't want that. You can also drip water lightly on each babies snout and spray a bit on one side of the tank to let water drops run to attract them for a drink in the middle of the day.

Beardienoobie

Original Poster
Ok. I'm just trying to be the best beardie parent I can be for these little ones. I'll get a branch asap as well. Took them 71 days to hatch. Well worth the wait. I mainly just worry about them not eating yet as well. And also, what is the humidity supposed to be in the tank for them? And whats a good way to get/keep that? They are in a 40 gallon tank with a 100 watt basking bulb. I'm temporarily using a coil uvb until my strip uvb get delivered in a few hours literally. All I had to work with until the other light comes in. Oh, I put the probe thermometer in on the basking rock yesterday before the were ready to come out of the incubator and spent a few hours checking the temps. The basking spot was between 100 and 103 I believe, the bottom of the tank under basking spot was around 90 and the cool side was around I believe 80 or a little higher. Hopefully that's OK as well. Sorry I have alot of questions. Like I said, just trying to be the best parent I can be. Oh and 1 more thing, does the uvb need to be next to the basking bulb? I got a 24 inch zilla T8 Desert 50 uvb light that comes with the bulb.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Just be patient , they'll eat when they get hungry. When they hatch they do to not need a meal for a few days, they may dart around a bit + then rest. As for the Zilla bulb, it's not the best. See if it has a plastic cover over the bulb + take it off right away. You can order a better bulb like a Reptisun 10.0 t5 to put in the fixture.
BTH, how warm is it where you live ? I used to have a plastic kiddie pool [ not the smallest one ] and put it out in dappled shade on a warm/hot day, set up with branches + other stuff to climb on and they get the best uvb and also get used to being outside.

Beardienoobie

Original Poster
The zilla t8 uvb I get doesn't come with plastic around the bulb. They are the cheapest, which is why I went with zilla. From what I was reading is that a t5 can't go into a t8 light fixture. I know nothing about that so I'm not sure. I also use the t8s on the top of the mesh screen. Should I hang it inside? Just don't want it to be too close to them. I also live in arizona. The temp right now(not sure where you live) here at 1:29 pm is about 98 degrees outside. Will probably go up to almost 100 degrees today. Hopefully not though. I also have another question about my female adult beardie. Can she go on a 20 gallon comfortably as that's all I have? If so, can I use 2 separate lamps, one for heat and one for coil uvb?

Beardienoobie

Original Poster
Also, when I separate the female from the male, how/when do I know when to put her back in for them to mate? I haven't separated them yet because I don't have a second light for her tank if the 20 gallon is ok. I only have 1 light fixture right now.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
The 20 gallon is to small for long term.
The smallest i would recommend is 48x24x24 for an adult. Also separate them as soon as possible. You dont want to come home to missing legs and or tail. Cohab is always risky.
Coils lights are really not idea either,they just dont put out enough uvb and it isn't spread out. The plastic on the zilla's doesn't wrap the bulb,it's a shield the goes over the buld. It can and should be removed by removing 1 Phillips screw from each corner. The plastic shield even though clear blocks the uvb. As for questions ask till you have all the info you need. Better to ask than to guess, these guys deserve the best care we can give, and asking questions is how we learn.

Beardienoobie

Original Poster
The zilla light that I get comes without the plastic. So it's just all bulb which I like. I'll see what I can do about getting another tank. The male seems like he's been a little aggressive as she has bite marks on her neck where he's ripped off some skin. After I separate them, how/when will I know when to let them breed again?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Tbh i haven't done any breeding so i can't answer that with any accuracy. Maybe repost with just that question and someone will probably have the right answer

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom