The trust of a beardie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
All my crew have been shedding this summer, feels like nonstop. :roll: One of the things I've realized with all of this is that my sweeties TRUST me. :love5: When a dragon comes to you and rubs his eye against your finger to remove that itchy shed around the eyes, that's awesome. :-D When a beardie that is getting it's face scritched starts bulging it's eyes with your finger right there, that is an amazing act of trust. :laughing6: Fib and Tweezie have both eye bulged with me this way, this week, just to bring the point home. The eye bulging looks so strange, but they only do it where they are feeling safe, as the eyes are closed with the lids stretched tight over them. :shock:

BTW, scritching, while it isn't in the dictionary, is a word used in my family, at least four generations, for the kind of fine movement scratch-petting-massage that cats, other small mammals, birds and beardies love, gently using the fingernails around the head, neck and shoulders. :book:

If you have your own stories about the ways your beardies show their trust, you can add them here. :wave:

drgnfly2265

Sub-Adult Member
Oh, good topic. Well I've only had Midna for about 2 months now and I have seen one way that she shows that she trusts me. I got home after work one day and told my hubby that I was going to feed the critters and then I would get dinner going. He told me that he found something that Midna doesn't like. So me being curious, I asked what that was. He said that he was petting Midna and decided to rub her beard thinking that she would like it. Well to his surprise she did not and showed him how she felt with a bite to his finger (and of course it made me laugh). Ever since then any time he tries to pet her Midna will move just a bit and he will pull his hand away.
For the past couple of days I was thinking about trying it myself. Midna is always ok with how I hold, pet, and let me put a harness on her so I had to give it a try. So I started to pet her beard and she just sat there. I did it for a good minute and the whole time she seemed to enjoy it, she even closed her eyes :blob5: I was so proud of her! I told my hubby and he said that he was never going to do that again and said I was crazy, lol :lol:

Sometimes I'll put Selket under my shirt and carry her around. Normally she'll latch onto my bra. When I'm in my nightie, however, I usually don't have anything for her to grab onto. She'll fall asleep, and if I get up, I put a hand on her back to hold her in place. The first time I did this, she woke up and freaked a little until she realized I had her and cooed to her to get her to calm down. After that time, I've done the same thing and she'll wake up a little, nuzzle me and go right back to sleep. Her eyes are closed the whole time, and she's dead to the world. :love5: She's a spoiled brat, but she's my spoiled brat!

Hi, I've had my little Billi for just over week now,
He had his first proper bath this evening, and decided that he'd also try out snuggling :) he's been snuggling me all evening!
me and my bf decided to check his viv for crix after I'd done that I put Billi back in, he closed his eyes briefly so I thought he'd gone to sleep again so I sat by his viv watching tv, I then heard a little splat!
Looked over to see Billi was desperate to get out, I opened the cage and put my hand out and he came to me straight away, crawled upto just under my chin and snuggled down immediately!
I'm so shocked, its not even been two weeks and I feel he trusts me and knows who I am, I never imagined this from a reptile :) I'm a very lucky beardie mummy!

I was happy early this evening when I thought he wanted to cuddle but now I'm even more shocked and thrilled. He's so adorable! xxx

:)

nair88

Gray-bearded Member
it is amazing how such a little thing can totally trust something that is so much bigger than them. i think one of the ultimate signs of trust i've seen from falkor is how she will snuggle up to me and fall asleep. i don't think there's any greater sign of trust than willingly falling asleep near someone :)

and i love that word - scritching. very cute :)

My little girl liz just refuses to let go of my finger when i put her back into the tank for bed
she'll rap her little arms around one finger and i need to slider her off with my other hand
Dunno if thats trust or just a case of daddies issues :D

nair88

Gray-bearded Member
scottie182":elczjv0x said:
My little girl liz just refuses to let go of my finger when i put her back into the tank for bed
she'll rap her little arms around one finger and i need to slider her off with my other hand
Dunno if thats trust or just a case of daddies issues :D
falkor does that too. as soon as i get her off one finger, she'll immediately grab another. i feel so bad making her let go.

DoubleJ

Juvie Member
Basil hasn't been my lil man for long but already he turns me all mushy. Today I went to put him back in his viv, previously he would climb down from my shoulder and skoot in, today he had a good look and then turned around and stuck his snout up against my neck. I took the oh so subtle hint and went and sat on my bed thinking he would stay there for a bit then decide he wanted to go back in viv. He didn't. He climbed off my shoulder and as I was lying with my knees pulled up slightly, he curled up under them, went all flat, closed his eyes and slept. After a nap he climbed into my lap and just sat watching tv with me. I had to put him in his viv as I had to go out, but it was one of the most relaxing hours I have ever spent. He is rather grumpy with starting to shed, but he still wanted to be with me. It was actually quite humbling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom