Testing uvb bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staygold

Hi. I ordered a solar meter 6.5R to test the UVB out put of my dragons lights. As I'm reading the instructions it says the model 6.5R reptile UV index metres erythemally weighted action spectrum is extremely close to the action Spectrum for vitamin D3 synthesizer, it is the ideal tool to determine proper UV dose for your reptile, per the appropriate Ferguson zone for the species. The 6.5 Rs reading can function as a proxy for the Vitamin D3 producing ability of the habitats lights source. And the model 6.2 R reptile UVB lamp metre determine if UVB lamps are performing to manufacturer specifications, guage intensity and measuring aging over time.. Did I order the wrong one? Can I use the one I have to test the UVB output? Or do I have to return it and order the other one?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
6.5r is what I use, and what most recommend here. You can still monitor your bulbs lifespan.

If a brand new bulb is giving you a reading of 4.0 at your basking spot. And 6 months later it's a 3.5, you know your bulb is still doing ok. As the bulb decays, the reading will drop with both instruments.

There is a big deep rabbit hole to go down as to why to pick one over the other, but the simple explanation is, the 6.5r tells you everything you need to know.

-Brandon

Staygold

Original Poster
Claudiusx":3kct8jfg said:
6.5r is what I use, and what most recommend here. You can still monitor your bulbs lifespan.

If a brand new bulb is giving you a reading of 4.0 at your basking spot. And 6 months later it's a 3.5, you know your bulb is still doing ok. As the bulb decays, the reading will drop with both instruments.

There is a big deep rabbit hole to go down as to why to pick one over the other, but the simple explanation is, the 6.5r tells you everything you need to know.

-Brandon

ok, thank you. so with the 6.5R, the readings I am looking for are still between 3-5 at basking spot? I was just worried I needed to aim for different numbers with the "weighted" (6.5R) one.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
6.5 is fine if you are interested in UVI measurements. As is the 6.5R , note the different way the two meter process UV flux .
I'm not a fan of FERGUSON ZONES as a guide ( see 6.5R ).

I have one ( not the 6.5R but the scientific version a Solarmeter 6.5 ) , but I don't use for reptile stuff , but for checking UVI when outside ( gardening , fishing ), we get extreme UV here in summer.
I also have the 6.2 and the 4.2.

I tend to use the 6.2 to routinely monitor my UV sources , as I prefer the direct measurement of UVB flux.
I've observed photophors degrade differently wrt UVA and UVB output over time. Hence I also monitor UVA as well.

But then I'm a physicist and engineer and prefer direct measures in preference to inferred measurements like say UVI ( there are a few algorithms to get this which all result different results and are based on "certain" assumptions about biological activity) , bit of a fiddle IMO.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
PS they now also a Solarmeter® Model 6.4 Vitamin D3 Meter . :) getting in on the Covid19 VitD3 bandwagon I guess, too bad it's been shown not to be protective .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom