Tempered Glass. How important is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mentioned this in my Custom viv thread in the DIY section, but I figure I’m much more likely to get a response here.

I’d like to hear your option on using tempered glass vs un-tempered glass for a viv. All the enclosures I have owned before have been tempered, and I understand that there are pretty massive benefits of tempered glass. (Less prone to chipping and cracking, shatters but holds shape to avoid dangerous shards)
Unfortunately, I have only been able to buy un-tempered glass. I have only heard of two designs using un-tempered. I am concerned about safety, but have very little options.
How important do you think tempered glass is, and do you think there is significant risk if I use it?
I am looking at clear laminate to cover the glass with too. Theoretically, this would prevent shards, but could also be difficult to apply and maintain. It may also be less opaque than pure glass. However, it may be necessary. What do you think?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
As you said, the tempering process makes the glass quite a bit tougher, and if it breaks, it's more likely to go into small pieces rather than sharp shards. I think safety is the main concern between the two. I'm not sure that an enclosure would heat and cool enough to cause thermal problems/fracturing with either one. If tempered glass is not available, do you have plexiglass (or similar) available? It's prone to scratches and discoloration over time, but would be safer than standard glass and if you're planning to laminate the glass, then the visibility difference would probably be about the same between laminated glass and plexiglass.

JayTheDragonTamer

Original Poster
As you said, the tempering process makes the glass quite a bit tougher, and if it breaks, it's more likely to go into small pieces rather than sharp shards. I think safety is the main concern between the two. I'm not sure that an enclosure would heat and cool enough to cause thermal problems/fracturing with either one. If tempered glass is not available, do you have plexiglass (or similar) available? It's prone to scratches and discoloration over time, but would be safer than standard glass and if you're planning to laminate the glass, then the visibility difference would probably be about the same between laminated glass and plexiglass.
I will look around for plexiglass and compare it to laminate in that case. Good to know I that I shouldn’t just use it as is. Thank you for responding so quickly.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

I responded in your DIY thread. TLDR Un-tempered glass is fine. It won't break under normal use of opening and closing the viv.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom