Temperatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronvrens

Good day everyone.

Just a question.

My beardie Crocks hasn't been eating too well. She hasn't had any bugs for about 10 days and I have to hand feed her her greens.
Do temperatures play a part in their apetires. She hates her viv and is sort of constantly on my shoulder. She gets more than 2 hours of raw sunlight basking per day. Her body temperature is a bit cool most of the time so I was wondering if that has something to do wit her not eating.
Is there any other type of protein she can be given.
Hoping that someone can help with some information

Ronnie

Stres

Hatchling Member
Ronvrens":o4vuvwc1 said:
Good day everyone.

Just a question.

My beardie Crocks hasn't been eating too well. She hasn't had any bugs for about 10 days and I have to hand feed her her greens.
Do temperatures play a part in their apetires. She hates her viv and is sort of constantly on my shoulder. She gets more than 2 hours of raw sunlight basking per day. Her body temperature is a bit cool most of the time so I was wondering if that has something to do wit her not eating.
Is there any other type of protein she can be given.
Hoping that someone can help with some information

Ronnie

From what iv read and seen on these forums viv temperature plays a huge part in digestion which then affects appetite.

have you noticed any undigested bits of feeders in her bowel movements ? If so she's not fully digesting her food.

Do you make sure she has around two hours minimum of inside viv time with the lights/heat on after she's been fed as that seems really important.

If she hates being in the viv is it because temps could be to hot or cold which makes her restless when inside it ? How do you measure your temps, ideally you should have digital with probes in both hot and cold sides and use an ir temp gun to measure the basking surface temp to make sure they are as close as you can get them, also do you use a thermostat to control the heat ?

Also how old is your uv light, most are only good for 6 months before there output levels drop which can also effect appetite.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Temperature plays a big role on their appetite.
Since they are cold blooded, they need heat to function properly, and this includes their metabolism. The cooler they are, the less they want to eat, not to mention eating while not optimally warm may result in undigested food and vomiting as heat is also required to digest. This is also why it is recommended to feed them no later than 2hrs before lights out so they have time to digest properly.

UV lights also play a key role in their overall function (including appetite) which is why it's always pushed to invest in a good UV bulb as soon as possible. If you were to browse the forum for appetite issues, the most immediate response is to ask about the lighting, both heat and UV, and it's for good reason.

It's great she loves the interaction, but I would try to limit her handling until after she's eaten and had time to digest. If she is insisting she spend time out of the enclosure, set up a mobile basking spot in the house, but I would recommend having her get used to basking in her enclosure.

As mentioned, it may be too hot in there, so please be sure to run through your setup with us if you have concerns and use an accurate way of measuring temperature (laser temp gun or digitial probe)

Ronvrens

Original Poster
Thanks for the information and help. I think the problem is that her body temperature is a bit low. Her daily routine is as follows. She wakes up at about 7 in the morning and basks a bit. She then wants toget out of her enclosure. I get her out and have her with me as I prepare her breakfast. She is offered superworms or crickets . I cut up her greens/vegies into bite size pieces and hans feed it to her. I also give her calcium powder and some apple puree. She normally eats most of her veg without a problem. I must ust mention that she was not brought up with a routine and was quickly fed bugs in the morning and evening and a container of grated veg was left in her enclosure for her to eat during the dy.
She gets at least two hours of raw sunlight a day when it is sunny. Her body temperature is good but she cools down quickly when out of the sun. Our day time temperature is in the mid 20 degrees celcuis and the nights only drop to about 29 or 30. Now that winter is with us the temps are about 23 in the day and 12 at night.
I will try and get her used to staying in the enclosure for longer periods to get the body temperature up.
With regards the lighting when I got her she had a coil type UVB light which I have replaced with a tube type. The heating is via a red light and under carpet heat pad.

Thanks once again

Ronnie

Ronvrens

Original Poster
Just one more thing. She did not poop for about 4 days and was a bit bloated. I gave her a long warm bath and the next day she pooped. Her poop was a bit loose and smelly. There was a well formed sac of urates. What I noticed was that some of the vegies were not completely digested but seemed like mainly the carrots.
Crocs is very active when outside and runs around and even climbs low walls and steps.
She is vey observant and scurries to me at the sign of possible danger.

Thanks

Ronnie

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
It sounds like she may have parasites. My Richter had the loose smelly poops and was diagnosed with coccidia. I think a fecal exam would be a good idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom