Temperature for hot country

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Hi, I stay in Malaysia, weather here is not cold, normally around 30-32°C (86-89.6°F)

May I know do I still need to create the temperature gradient in the enclosure? Especially the cold side. Because it is easy to bring up the temperature using basking light but it is very difficult to bring down.

Another question I have is I'm using an IR gun thermometer to measure temperature, is it accurate?

I have no idea on the age of Timber, I measure he is 50cm (about 19-20 inches) long and he has come to us since Nov-21

Thank you

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi, I stay in Malaysia, weather here is not cold, normally around 30-32°C (86-89.6°F)

May I know do I still need to create the temperature gradient in the enclosure? Especially the cold side. Because it is easy to bring up the temperature using basking light but it is very difficult to bring down.

Another question I have is I'm using an IR gun thermometer to measure temperature, is it accurate?

I have no idea on the age of Timber, I measure he is 50cm (about 19-20 inches) long and he has come to us since Nov-21

Thank you
The dragon should have a temp gradient in the tank of 95-100 for surface basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Digi...1652880201&sprefix=Zoo+med+di,aps,132&sr=8-10
Middle of your tank 90's and cool side of the tank 80's
If your have a hard time w/ temps being too hot use a lower wattage bulb - but please get the digital probe thermometer -- you can also use dial or analog for your ambient temps and your IR gun is good for spot checks -- they do not read off of hammocks and certain materials for basking decor - I am going to assume the dragon is a juvie / adult

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The dragon should have a temp gradient in the tank of 95-100 for surface basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Digital-Terrarium-Thermometer/dp/B07SKY2HJW/ref=sr_1_10crid=1C36R34VZ48RK&keywords=zoo+med+digital+thermometer&qid=1652880201&sprefix=Zoo+med+di,aps,132&sr=8-10
Middle of your tank 90's and cool side of the tank 80's
If your have a hard time w/ temps being too hot use a lower wattage bulb - but please get the digital probe thermometer -- you can also use dial or analog for your ambient temps and your IR gun is good for spot checks -- they do not read off of hammocks and certain materials for basking decor - I am going to assume the dragon is a juvie / adult
Hi Karrie thanks for your reply.

About your suggestion to use a low wattage bulb, I'm already using the lowest 25w from Exo Terra, but it can only bring the temperature up to 92-93°F which doest not meet the basking temperature. Tomorrow I will need to change to 50w (meaning I'm already using the minimum possible wattage bulb)

Again for the cool side, may I know what is the highest temperature allowed for the cool side? I will try my best to bring it down to this temperature.

As for the thermometer yes I have 2 probe digital thermometer I will use that. Thank you.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi Karrie thanks for your reply.

About your suggestion to use a low wattage bulb, I'm already using the lowest 25w from Exo Terra, but it can only bring the temperature up to 92-93°F which doest not meet the basking temperature. Tomorrow I will need to change to 50w (meaning I'm already using the minimum possible wattage bulb)

Again for the cool side, may I know what is the highest temperature allowed for the cool side? I will try my best to bring it down to this temperature.

As for the thermometer yes I have 2 probe digital thermometer I will use that. Thank you.
80's I would shoot for no higher than 85 on cool side- how big is your tank?

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So it is roughly a 90 gallon tank -- is it a screen on top or a wood top - this is going to retain heat
It is a screen top.

I have another doubt Karrie - I understand dragons are originated from desert in Australia. Since desert is always so hot, how dragons achieve the 80's temperature in such a hot environment? Is it merely depends on hiding?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The desert is not always hot, and dragons hide during the hottest parts of the day. They can not regulate their body temperatures like mammals can, they need a cool side so that they can go back and fourth to regulate temperatures.

I aim for 75 for my cool sides.

-Brandon

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The desert is not always hot, and dragons hide during the hottest parts of the day. They can not regulate their body temperatures like mammals can, they need a cool side so that they can go back and fourth to regulate temperatures.

I aim for 75 for my cool sides.

-Brandon
Thanks for your reply Brandon

Oh no 75 seems impossible given my hot weather here, but I will try my best

About the UVB, may I know does dragon absorb and utilize UVB during sleep?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thanks for your reply Brandon

Oh no 75 seems impossible given my hot weather here, but I will try my best

About the UVB, may I know does dragon absorb and utilize UVB during sleep?
Your lights need to be off at night -- dragons like cool and dark -- and no they would not utilize the UVB rays at nite during the day -photo period for dragons is normally a 12 hr cycle

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Your lights need to be off at night -- dragons like cool and dark -- and no they would not utilize the UVB rays at nite during the day -photo period for dragons is normally a 12 hr cycle
Sorry for didn't explain the situation clearly, not night time I meant, I mean day time.

Because now Timber except for eat and poop in the morning, spend whole day in his hide and sleep. Even if I try remove his hide, he will find a corner and sleep whole day.

I read this site and know this might be due to I'm using a not recommended Exo Terra UVB tube. So I've ordered Reptisun 10.0 T8 arriving next week.

But I'm worried after I change to Reptisun he will still keep hiding which will make him still can't get the sufficient UVB. So I'm thinking to put the Reptisun tube above it even when he is sleeping during the day. Would this help him to get the sufficient UVB? Or I must make sure he is awake to get the UVB?

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
Sorry for didn't explain the situation clearly, not night time I meant, I mean day time.

Because now Timber except for eat and poop in the morning, spend whole day in his hide and sleep. Even if I try remove his hide, he will find a corner and sleep whole day.

I read this site and know this might be due to I'm using a not recommended Exo Terra UVB tube. So I've ordered Reptisun 10.0 T8 arriving next week.

But I'm worried after I change to Reptisun he will still keep hiding which will make him still can't get the sufficient UVB. So I'm thinking to put the Reptisun tube above it even when he is sleeping during the day. Would this help him to get the sufficient UVB? Or I must make sure he is awake to get the UVB?
He doesn't need to be awake. As long as the light is turned on and close enough and he isn't inside a hide, he will absorb the light. The T8 needs to be unobstructed (under the screen) 6-8 inches above his basking area. It is an automatic process though that he doesn't have to be awake and do anything to start. If your lighting is better though, you should start to see his activity levels increase anyway.

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He doesn't need to be awake. As long as the light is turned on and close enough and he isn't inside a hide, he will absorb the light. The T8 needs to be unobstructed (under the screen) 6-8 inches above his basking area. It is an automatic process though that he doesn't have to be awake and do anything to start. If your lighting is better though, you should start to see his activity levels increase anyway.
Thanks.

Back to temperature 😅 May I confirm how do I measure the temperature of basking spot accurately? Few methods I can think of :

1. Put the digital probe thermometer on the basking spot and leave it there for around 30 minutes before get the reading

2. Shoot the IR gun on the basking spot

3. Shoot the IR gun on the back of dragon after he has been there for like 10 minutes.

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
Thanks.

Back to temperature 😅 May I confirm how do I measure the temperature of basking spot accurately? Few methods I can think of :

1. Put the digital probe thermometer on the basking spot and leave it there for around 30 minutes before get the reading

2. Shoot the IR gun on the basking spot

3. Shoot the IR gun on the back of dragon after he has been there for like 10 minutes.
Most accurate will be number one. IR guns are good but have trouble with some surfaces like hammocks. They can also get confused on some materials due to issues with how it measures heat and how those surfaces store or emit heat, meaning the gun can read higher or lower than actual temps on certain materials. You can use the probe to get an accurate temp, then check it with the gun to see if it matches. If it does, you can use your gun for daily checks and just use the probe to check weekly or every other week or something to make sure your gun is still working correctly.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom