Temper tantrum

Mattcha Mama

Beardie name(s)
Mattcha and Nessie
So I got Matcha as a rescue. He just turned 2. He bonded very tightly very quickly. He comes when I call him, he gives kisses if I ask. If anyone else holds him he has a fit until he gets back to me. Just moved in with my fiancé and found out why Matcha’s cage is always a mess. When I am not home he has temper tantrums. He throws his stuffed toys around, even jumps up and hits his light w his head on purpose. He gets very excited as soon as I get home. Is there anything I can do to make him calmer when I am gone?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So I got Matcha as a rescue. He just turned 2. He bonded very tightly very quickly. He comes when I call him, he gives kisses if I ask. If anyone else holds him he has a fit until he gets back to me. Just moved in with my fiancé and found out why Matcha’s cage is always a mess. When I am not home he has temper tantrums. He throws his stuffed toys around, even jumps up and hits his light w his head on purpose. He gets very excited as soon as I get home. Is there anything I can do to make him calmer when I am gone?
Put a fleece blanket or piece of clothing in his hide something w/ your smell on it --- see if that helps

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Wow thats a tough one. I'm not sure how you can keep him from stressing when your away. I wonder if it has something to do with being a rescue. We have a rescue also and she is 10 times more clingy and needy than out other two. I wonder if when they are finally treated well if they become dependent. (Just deep thoughts from a shallow mind lol).

Mattcha Mama

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mattcha and Nessie
Put a fleece blanket or piece of clothing in his hide something w/ your smell on it --- see if that helps
Yeah he has a blanket that I made out of a fuzzie hoodie of mine. It is the only thing g he doesn’t toss around when I am gone. Lol I’m wondering g if it is t just his way of trying to get out of his hutch.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yeah he has a blanket that I made out of a fuzzie hoodie of mine. It is the only thing g he doesn’t toss around when I am gone. Lol I’m wondering g if it is t just his way of trying to get out of his hutch.
Possibly --- you said hutch does it have good floor space?

Mattcha Mama

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mattcha and Nessie
Possibly --- you said hutch does it have good floor space?
Yeah it is an entire wall hitch I modified. He is in it during the day but at night bc he comes when I call him, and always follows me around he just gets free roam of the house. So he does not like being in the hutch. Lol

Groggyfroggie

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Draco
I think mine was going through the same phase before the weather got cold. He would demolish every single thing in his tank, but when I went over and opened the door to let him out, he'd calm down immediately like nothing ever happened. It's frustrating and oddly sweet. I never found the solution for it, just took out furniture that can be knocked over and secured everything lol. Taking him out to get some natural sun also helped, he'd get satisfied and tired. But really they are like little kids, other than actual human company I haven't found any other way to soothe him.

Mattcha Mama

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mattcha and Nessie
I think mine was going through the same phase before the weather got cold. He would demolish every single thing in his tank, but when I went over and opened the door to let him out, he'd calm down immediately like nothing ever happened. It's frustrating and oddly sweet. I never found the solution for it, just took out furniture that can be knocked over and secured everything lol. Taking him out to get some natural sun also helped, he'd get satisfied and tired. But really they are like little kids, other than actual human company I haven't found any other way to soothe him.
Thank you so much for replying. I’m fairly new to beardies. I am a retired dog trainer, so I tend to relate everything to that. Lol I never would have dreamed a reptile could be so similar. He has trained like a dog. Lol So I didn’t want to let something continue if it could be a problem. Don’t tell the dogs but I actually prefer my beardie!!! Lol

Mattcha Mama

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mattcha and Nessie
Wow thats a tough one. I'm not sure how you can keep him from stressing when your away. I wonder if it has something to do with being a rescue. We have a rescue also and she is 10 times more clingy and needy than out other two. I wonder if when they are finally treated well if they become dependent. (Just deep thoughts from a shallow mind lol).
Actually in the 20 yrs I trained dogs they exhibit that exact behavior. Rescues are typically more clingy after they bond to you, and they bond tighter. I have noticed Matcha is very territorial over me. If we are out and ppl he doesn’t know approach, he will get black beard and head Bob at them. He is making progress though, the other night he voluntarily went over and said hi to my daughter. He didn’t stay long and ran pretty fast to get back to my lap, but he let her pet him. So maybe just time and him getting more secure w others.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
By far one of my favorite posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No explanation needed:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
When i got my first girl she was so little i was afraid to handle her. Almost over night she became my girlfriends creature, she wouldn't have anything to do with me. It took 2 years, we had her in the car. She was on the dash, a tractor-trailer pulled up and the air brakes popped the discharge valve. She dove off the dash right into my chest so i covered her eyes and cuddled her. From then on she was ok with me. She was my girlfriends creature till the day she passed though. Your boy will learn others are ok but he will always be YOUR boy.

Mattcha Mama

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mattcha and Nessie
By far one of my favorite posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No explanation needed:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Ok guys need a suggestion to tantrum proof his heat lights. When he has a tantrum he jumps straight up and hits the light fixture w his head. I’ll post pics. He has bent it. I’m scared he is going to jump up and accidentally hit the heat lamp bulb. I need someway to fix it so he can’t hit the bulb, but won’t interfer w the heat or UV lights.

Mattcha Mama

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mattcha and Nessie
Here are the pics of his lights.

Attachments

• ED4C45ED-EB7D-4AE1-8A41-6022734D8D5F.jpeg
    ED4C45ED-EB7D-4AE1-8A41-6022734D8D5F.jpeg
    198.8 KB · Views: 75
  • AD1B6EB3-7EE8-4CC4-8B4A-901B76DB4FC6.jpeg
    AD1B6EB3-7EE8-4CC4-8B4A-901B76DB4FC6.jpeg
    169.9 KB · Views: 82

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom