Teeth brushing

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
I never knew we had to brush them either! I'll reply to your topic so I get notified if someone more experienced replies because now I need to know lol

Lizard of Light

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Ardbert
I've been wondering this myself because pretty much no one seems to talk about this. And if we should.....I need to know how to even get the mouth open. X'D

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
I actually did some research about this and im pretty sure if you dont only feed soft food you'll be good. Foods like squash and superworms , mealworms, dubias etc clean the teeth. Still not 100% sure tho but thats what I know.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You don't usually need to mess with their teeth unless there is a buildup or sores start to form. Their teeth can be cleaned by the abrasiveness of the bug shells that they eat. If they eat more plants than hard shelled bugs, then you can clean off their teeth a bit with the chlorhexidine gluconate or MaxiGuard gel (zinc gluconate) on a q-tip.

Lizard of Light

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Ardbert
Thanks for the input, guys!

Though, just wondering, do BSFL and silkworms (my main staples) have a hard enough shell to scrape the teeth? I could hear Ardie crunching them when I fed him today, but I don't know if that indicates anything (and silkworks are basically mulberry-flavored marshmallows with legs for the most part :lol:).

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
No they are too soft to make a lot of difference. Roaches and crickets have a nice rough shell/skeleton and cleaner crew like buffalo or morio beetles are great as an occasional feeder for dental health.

Lizard of Light

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Ardbert
CooperDragon":n7pfqyv9 said:
No they are too soft to make a lot of difference. Roaches and crickets have a nice rough shell/skeleton and cleaner crew like buffalo or morio beetles are great as an occasional feeder for dental health.

Thank you! I'll be seeing about getting some dubia soon.

Lizard of Light

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Ardbert
Update: Not too long after I posted here, an adult black soldier fly emerged today and Ardie just snapped it midair after deciding to stick with the lurk-and-wait approach when he couldn't chase it down (he's in a 40 gallon Thrive Easy-Clean tank and can't jump very high). Guess that sort of takes care of my dental worries for today? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom