Tart cherry - dosage

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Now Foxy's protein diet it is dubias 2-3 times per week (sometimes horn worms) and salads in another days.
100% dubias diet worries me a little.
Besides, the last few poops were slightly orange, I have a suspicion
that this is a carrot, but I still worry about that too.
So I decided to give him some tart cherry juice as a preventive measure.
Today the order with juce came (below in the picture).
It indicates the dosing (obvious to humans): 2 tablespoons (30ml) per 6-8 ounces water.
Please help me understand if this recipe is suitable for a beardie? Should I change the concentration? Increase or decrease may be.
How many ml of the ready diluted juice be given to the beardie?
Thank you for reading this far and thanks in advance for your help!
PS: picture to draw attention :D

Attachments

• tart2.jpg
    tart2.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 137
  • tart1.jpg
    tart1.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 79
  • foxy1.jpg
    foxy1.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 76
Solution
Hello,

Giving some black or tart cherry juice extract as a preventative measure is perfectly fine.
You can give .5ml to 1ml daily or a few times weekly to help with kidney health.
As suggested, try to even out the insect intake of the dubias & the hornworms. The dubias
are a bit higher in uric acid levels than other insects.

Tracie

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I give mixed greens 6 to 7 day per week. I offer hornworms and supers most days, but my guys are pretty good about not eating them everday, so i don't really over feed them. The supers i put in a bowl and they will "occasionally" snatch 1 or 2, the hornworms i offer by hand just because i enjoy it, but even those they are hit or miss on. I use the hornworms mostly for hydration value. If they refuse them in the morning, i dont offer them again that day, they have to eat greens or go hungry, but at that point i offered and i don't feel guilty about not feeding them 😄

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
I give mixed greens 6 to 7 day per week. I offer hornworms and supers most days, but my guys are pretty good about not eating them everday, so i don't really over feed them. The supers i put in a bowl and they will "occasionally" snatch 1 or 2, the hornworms i offer by hand just because i enjoy it, but even those they are hit or miss on. I use the hornworms mostly for hydration value. If they refuse them in the morning, i dont offer them again that day, they have to eat greens or go hungry, but at that point i offered and i don't feel guilty about not feeding them 😄
Foxy doesn't treat super worms as food. :)
He eats hornworms only occasionally, I think he is thirsty at this moment or he just wants variety, but this is no more than once a week.
He is ready to eat dubias in a day, i.e. 3-4 times per week. He loves them madly and eats a lot, so then it is difficult to feed him something else.
Maybe I should cut back on the number of roaches I give at one time?
Now I feed the roaches the way I did when he was small, i.e. how much will he eat in 10 minutes.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Yeah as an adult, i would trim him back on them some. Only one of my guys likes dubias, my biggest male. When i offer them i give him 2 or maybe 3 adult raoches.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Yeah as an adult, i would trim him back on them some. Only one of my guys likes dubias, my biggest male. When i offer them i give him 2 or maybe 3 adult raoches.
Cool! Zen also likes roaches, I hope Foxy grows up like him :D
How often does Zen eat roaches? Is it every other day?

Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Na, he will eat them for 2 or maybe 3 feedings then he refuses them for a couple weeks at a time. He'll eat hornworms 3 or 4 times a week (on a good week), and then refuse them for a week or so also and he'll eat grasshoppers any opportunity he gets lol. But i have to haul my butt out in the desert and catch those so they don't get them very often 😄.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Na, he will eat them for 2 or maybe 3 feedings then he refuses them for a couple weeks at a time. He'll eat hornworms 3 or 4 times a week (on a good week), and then refuse them for a week or so also and he'll eat grasshoppers any opportunity he gets lol. But i have to haul my butt out in the desert and catch those so they don't get them very often 😄.
He seems to be a very picky eater too. :)
Does it happen that Zen can only eat salads all week?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
He seems to be a very picky eater too. :)
Does it happen that Zen can only eat salads all week?
Zen is really peculiar about salad, he will eat it some, but if he catches me watching he'll turn his nose up and won't touch it again lol. He could care less with bugs, but salad it's like he is embarrassed to be caught eating it. He is a really big dragon though, so when he does eat it, enough is missing that a can tell. Even his salad is hit or miss though, he'll eat it for a few days then won't touch it for a week or two.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Zen is really peculiar about salad, he will eat it some, but if he catches me watching he'll turn his nose up and won't touch it again lol. He could care less with bugs, but salad it's like he is embarrassed to be caught eating it. He is a really big dragon though, so when he does eat it, enough is missing that a can tell. Even his salad is hit or miss though, he'll eat it for a few days then won't touch it for a week or two.
Foxy does the same!
When I put down his plate of greens, our whole family gets a stern warning not to look at him or he won't eat. After the first bite, he will definitely check if someone is looking at him and only then will he take the second bite.
But when I give him a clover leaf, he eats and is not shy about it.
Today, Foxy apparently decided to take a break from everything, lies in a cave and is lazy.

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 52

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Foxy is looking really good there. How is the diet coming?
He is mostly eating hornworms now? I hope you are getting him to eat more greens. It can
be really hard getting a routine down. At least he drinks a pretty good amount. Do you use a
dropper?
Great work with him, he looks very content!

Tracie

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Hello,

Foxy is looking really good there. How is the diet coming?
He is mostly eating hornworms now? I hope you are getting him to eat more greens. It can
be really hard getting a routine down. At least he drinks a pretty good amount. Do you use a
dropper?
Great work with him, he looks very content!

Tracie
I try very hard to increase the amount of greens in his diet. Foxy is very spoiled and stubborn, but it seems to me that there are small successes.
I am now on the following feeding plan.
For two days I feed Foxy greens: arugula, dandelion, romano, clover (today I tried to give zucchini and green beans). On the third day I give him dubias 10 pieces (I began to limit them a little, if they are not limited, then he can eat 15-20 pieces and does not eat greens the next day).
Dandelion I started to give him recently, it seems he liked it, because yesterday he ate it all, emptying his plate to the bottom.
He does not like hornworms very much, so I give them once every two weeks, more often he refuses to eat them.
I continue to drink it from a pipette, every other day.
It confuses me a little that his urates have a slightly orange color at the end. I stopped feeding my dubias carrots a week ago, but I don't see any change, so I decided to cut out calcium for a week or two to test the calcium overdose version.
I will definitely keep you posted on this.
Thank you very much for your interest in Foxy's health!

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom