Tart cherry - dosage

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Now Foxy's protein diet it is dubias 2-3 times per week (sometimes horn worms) and salads in another days.
100% dubias diet worries me a little.
Besides, the last few poops were slightly orange, I have a suspicion
that this is a carrot, but I still worry about that too.
So I decided to give him some tart cherry juice as a preventive measure.
Today the order with juce came (below in the picture).
It indicates the dosing (obvious to humans): 2 tablespoons (30ml) per 6-8 ounces water.
Please help me understand if this recipe is suitable for a beardie? Should I change the concentration? Increase or decrease may be.
How many ml of the ready diluted juice be given to the beardie?
Thank you for reading this far and thanks in advance for your help!
PS: picture to draw attention :D

Attachments

• tart2.jpg
    tart2.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 150
  • tart1.jpg
    tart1.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 87
  • foxy1.jpg
    foxy1.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 86
Solution
Hello,

Giving some black or tart cherry juice extract as a preventative measure is perfectly fine.
You can give .5ml to 1ml daily or a few times weekly to help with kidney health.
As suggested, try to even out the insect intake of the dubias & the hornworms. The dubias
are a bit higher in uric acid levels than other insects.

Tracie

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Sounds like you managed to win the stand off lol. Honestly thats impressive, beardies usually win 😁

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Sounds like you managed to win the stand off lol. Honestly thats impressive, beardies usually win 😁
Oh, I do not know.
I hope he will eat better, he skipped his salad today and I think maybe I gave him too many crickets.
Or maybe everything is going well. Who knows...

Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
It can definitely be mind boggling try to get everything just right. It don't help that they are so darned picky.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

They are super picky! Hopefully he will start eating more greens & vegetation. Just keep the
protein to a minimum so that he has to eat more vegetation also.

Tracie

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Hello,

They are super picky! Hopefully he will start eating more greens & vegetation. Just keep the
protein to a minimum so that he has to eat more vegetation also.

Tracie
Foxy has already started eating something other than dubias. It's small, but a win!
Today he ate crickets and looks like he likes them. He eats with great interest and quickly enough, he does not have to be persuaded.
The next step is to increase the greens in his diet.
This is necessary because the previous two days he had skipped his salad and patiently waited for the crickets :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, that is great news, anything is better than nothing. Definitely sounds like he is improving
so just continue to work with him on his greens intake, it takes time. They will hold out for their
bugs so you have to play hardball sometimes! :)

Tracie

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Since my last post, Foxy has stuck to the schedule - 2 days of greens (bok choy, arugula, romano and some carrots) and the crickets on the third day.
Within 10 days he got 3 days with crickets and 7 days with greens. And he was very pleased with crickets.
It upsets me a little - on the salad days he doesn't eat much of greens. He only eats a couple of pieces.
I see that he sees the salad as food, but he does not want to eat much of it.
What can be done in this case?
Reduce the number of crickets?
Is it possible to switch to such a feeding plan - wait until he eats as much greens as insects weigh(within 2 days and more if needed) and only then give crickets or roaches?

PS: Foxy got his dubias yesterday after a long break. He basked on the window while I was cleaning to the roach colony. He saw and heard them, turned away from the WINDOW and began to bob his head strongly in my direction, I had to give him 10 pieces, the last dubias he folded into his beard. He sat on his ass, which means that he was full and he no longer wants to stand on his feet, his eyes became smelly and he turned away from his bowl. After that, I moved him to the basking zone, after a minute he began to worry, climbed onto the bark of a tree and began to bob his head even more, demanding more. The guy was outraged - "I haven't eaten yet, but they already put me in the tank! Let me out immediately and let me finish my meal!" I had to give 7 more pieces, only after that he calmed down and went to warm up. I think that today he will not eat his salad)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's great Foxy is doing really well & being good with eating his greens. Most of them really
like the arugula, it is a nice mix along with a few other greens.
So he bobs to get more insects, they definitely get creative to try & get their way. Just try to keep
his insects at a minimum & do your best to encourage him to eat a bit more vegetation. It really
does take time for them to adapt to dietary changes.

Tracie

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Just try to keep
his insects at a minimum & do your best to encourage him to eat a bit more vegetation. It really
does take time for them to adapt to dietary changes.
In a few days, Foxy will be 1 year old and I try to stick to the feeding schedule: 2 days - greens and vegetables, one day - insects (15 crickets or 15 roaches).
The problem is that Foxy doesn't eat enough greens for her two days. The amount eaten is clearly less in weight than it eats insects, usually 2-3 small pieces of bok choy or arugula
I have several options for increasing the amount of vegetables and greens.
1. Reduce the number of insects by 2 times, but keep the schedule: 2 days I give greens, one day - insects (but not 15 pieces and 15/2=7 pieces).
2. Do not reduce the amount of insects given, but increase the number of days I feed greens. For example, 4 days greens - one day insects (15 pieces).
Maybe there is a third option?
Please help me choose the most successful transition plan for vegetables and greens.
I don't want Foxy's growth to stop so I can't decide on the best option I can use.
This is how Foxy eats greens - once a day :)

Last edited:

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
It's been 3 weeks. Now Foxy is 1 year old and I can't find the perfect feeding schedule yet.
3 things upset me: his weight has stuck, I don’t understand why he eats so little greens and third - when I stop giving him cockroaches, he becomes inactive and sad in his cave.
I have tried several feeding options.
1. Two days vegetables + greens and bugs on the third day. This doesn't work because Foxy gorges himself on roaches and don't eats the next day, on the second day he takes a small bite of his salad.
2. I've tried not give to him roaches until he's eaten at least a few bites of salad, usually around day 4 he'll go up to salad and eat a 1/3 his plate. I reward him with 2 middle roaches, but the next day he doesn't eat anything again.
He goes to the toilet regularly, usually once every 2-3 days.
I don't unerstand this: if he goes to the toilet regulary, does it means that he eats enough?
However, his weight stuck at around 430g for 2 months.
I think I'm missing something, but I don't know what it is.
I heard that other bearded can go to the toilet once every two weeks, I think that Foxy would eat a lot of greens in two weeks, even if he eats it every other day and a little (summury greens he eats in the end is just enough to go to the toilet once every two weeks).
It turns out I needlessly want him to eat more? But if I give him more than he needs now, then why does his weight not increase?
I'm completely confused. :(

PS:
Yesterday I chopped dandelions and mixed them with small cockroaches. He managed to grab a few pieces of dandelions with the first 4-5 cockroaches, and then just sat and waited for the rest to get out from under the leaves to eat them.
Today he spent the whole day in his cave and refused to eat. :(

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
A friend of mine, a beardies breeder, said that many feed beardies once every 3 days, but they give both greens and bugs at the same time. It surprised me and I'm very afraid to take such breaks in feeding. But maybe he's right?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I've heard stuff like that, I can never bring myself to even try. I think of my guys being hungry and they can basically order off the menu lol.
But realistically in the wild they eat what they can find, sure they may go a few days without eating but you can bet they don't like it. And if they can eat every day they will. I do understand not making them obese but personally I can't not feed my guys.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
I've heard stuff like that, I can never bring myself to even try. I think of my guys being hungry and they can basically order off the menu lol.
But realistically in the wild they eat what they can find, sure they may go a few days without eating but you can bet they don't like it. And if they can eat every day they will. I do understand not making them obese but personally I can't not feed my guys.

Exactly! I also try to feed every day, but I can not do it.
He eats on the first day and does not eat on the second, I can’t change that in any way.
Do you give "mix" greens with bugs every day (for adult dragons)?

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom