Tank upgrade

Jacqssss

I would be grateful to see some tank set ups as I'm always finding something else that he needs and could be more comfortable with. Any advice or guidance for a 5x2 glass tank

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would be grateful to see some tank set ups as I'm always finding something else that he needs and could be more comfortable with. Any advice or guidance for a 5x2 glass tank
Make sure you have good UVB --- a 36" fixture would be good for a 5 ft tank - good surface basking temps- digital probe thermometers for accurate basking temps -- a nice hide -- some good climbing decor --

Attachments

• Blaze tank 9-13-2021.jpg
    Blaze tank 9-13-2021.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 82

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Just a random side note - not sure what you are using for substrate/flooring for this new enclosure - but I highly recommend tile! Ages ago when I upgraded to my girls forever home, I put down ceramic tile with a tad bit of texture (but smooth enough to do a wipe down) as her substrate from Lowe’s. They will cut pieces for you to match the inside measurements of the inside of the enclosure (we went with a touch smaller measurements so I would have room to easily move them around / not a super super tight fit) and I did not grout / connect the tiles together - so that I can just list them up / take them out for a deep clean and just put them back down.

Is this a new enclosure / an upgrade? If so, that’s super exciting! What flooring were you thinking of trying out? Anything new or sticking with your current substrate?

Jacqssss

Original Poster
Make sure you have good UVB --- a 36" fixture would be good for a 5 ft tank - good surface basking temps- digital probe thermometers for accurate basking temps -- a nice hide -- some good climbing decor --
Yeh
iI know this vital information
Yeh already catered for. I think your tank is quite bare and thank you for the pic

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yeh

iI know this vital information

Yeh already catered for. I think your tank is quite bare and thank you for the pic
Thank you --- it was just for reference -- they need floor space to move around -- you dont want all the floor space covered up w/ them having to crawl over everything --

Jacqssss

Original Poster
He
Just a random side note - not sure what you are using for substrate/flooring for this new enclosure - but I highly recommend tile! Ages ago when I upgraded to my girls forever home, I put down ceramic tile with a tad bit of texture (but smooth enough to do a wipe down) as her substrate from Lowe’s. They will cut pieces for you to match the inside measurements of the inside of the enclosure (we went with a touch smaller measurements so I would have room to easily move them around / not a super super tight fit) and I did not grout / connect the tiles together - so that I can just list them up / take them out for a deep clean and just put them back down.

Is this a new enclosure / an upgrade? If so, that’s super exciting! What flooring were you thinking of trying out? Anything new or sticking with your current substrate?
Hey no it's not a new enclosure as this is his forever home which is why I want it the best. He has always had sand and I'm changing it too like a loose substrate to enable him to burrow down for more space and privacy. I do like the tile idea and easy clean but it's not needed as it's a glass tank. What sort of decoration do you have in yours.?

Jacqssss

Original Poster
Thank you --- it was just for reference -- they need floor space to move around -- you dont want all the floor space covered up w/ them having to crawl over everything --
I'm learning every month but I keep feeling he needs more and I dunno why. He is 2 now and has 2 hides and does not use them. He has a like half a tree in there and backing forest wallpaper, rockery a shelf for height movement and a hammock.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I'm learning every month but I keep feeling he needs more and I dunno why. He is 2 now and has 2 hides and does not use them. He has a like half a tree in there and backing forest wallpaper, rockery a shelf for height movement and a hammock.
Does he use all the stuff in the tank -- are the hides big enough for him to get into? Post a pic of the tank and we can maybe give you some ideas of what you can put in there?

Jacqssss

Original Poster
Does he use all the stuff in the tank -- are the hides big enough for him to get into? Post a pic of the tank and we can maybe give you some ideas of what you can put in there?
Yeh he does use the hammock but only if he is put in it haha. I got the largest hide for him and yes I should post pic. I'm new to this. Thank you

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Hey no it's not a new enclosure as this is his forever home which is why I want it the best. He has always had sand and I'm changing it too like a loose substrate to enable him to burrow down for more space and privacy. I do like the tile idea and easy clean but it's not needed as it's a glass tank. What sort of decoration do you have in yours.?
Hi there 👋

So I don’t have a ton of decor / i have not wanted to make it too cluttered especially as she gets older - basically everything except the higher climb-y stuff isn’t in there anymor, just b/c she is older now. She is 11 and a half years old now - and she’s just not climbing as high (which is good) as she used to.

I have her little angled pillow she’s had forever as her basking spot / ramp, and there is a not too high bridge type thing in the middle zone of her house where she can climb up a bit - and on her cool side is her bed - it’s a basket on its side with her blankets since she was a baby, and also she can get on top of that basket - then a low platform next to if she wants to hang on top of it or under it. Mounted lights on the inside, substrate is tile, and that’s the whole shabang. This enclosure we had made has been soooo good to us for so long - the fixtures and stuff have been fully operationally so I’ve been super thankful for that!

So you are switching over from sand to something else? What are you thinking about?
😊

Jacqssss

Original Poster
Hi there 👋

So I don’t have a ton of decor / i have not wanted to make it too cluttered especially as she gets older - basically everything except the higher climb-y stuff isn’t in there anymor, just b/c she is older now. She is 11 and a half years old now - and she’s just not climbing as high (which is good) as she used to.

I have her little angled pillow she’s had forever as her basking spot / ramp, and there is a not too high bridge type thing in the middle zone of her house where she can climb up a bit - and on her cool side is her bed - it’s a basket on its side with her blankets since she was a baby, and also she can get on top of that basket - then a low platform next to if she wants to hang on top of it or under it. Mounted lights on the inside, substrate is tile, and that’s the whole shabang. This enclosure we had made has been soooo good to us for so long - the fixtures and stuff have been fully operationally so I’ve been super thankful for that!

So you are switching over from sand to something else? What are you thinking about?
😊
Hey aww nice 11 years old 😊. See Reading you saying and that's the whole shaba g is exactly my thoughts on what I hope I've achieved in his tank that I converted myself from a fish tank. I have give him a low end hide to get away(which he won't use) and a cool end hide, something big to climb and then a shelf to bask on? (I am moving the light tommorow) rockery and lizard wallpaper and a hammock and I use sand currently but wanted change for ages now even though no harm done but I'm guessing there. I suppose Im thinking I can be doing better for him because always learning. I wanna change the whole set up and make the tank deeper, so he can climb more and maybe other things. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG-20220807-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20220807-WA0012.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG-20220807-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20220807-WA0011.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 69

Jacqssss

Original Poster
Hey aww nice 11 years old 😊. See Reading you saying and that's the whole shaba g is exactly my thoughts on what I hope I've achieved in his tank that I converted myself from a fish tank. I have give him a low end hide to get away(which he won't use) and a cool end hide, something big to climb and then a shelf to bask on? (I am moving the light tommorow) rockery and lizard wallpaper and a hammock and I use sand currently but wanted change for ages now even though no harm done but I'm guessing there. I suppose Im thinking I can be doing better for him because always learning. I wanna change the whole set up and make the tank deeper, so he can climb more and maybe other things. What do you think?
Hey did you have a minute to look at my set up

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom