Tank Temperature

Zucchini

Original Poster
We were using a 100 watt basking bulb and the cool side of the tank would be high 80's. So I went to a 50 and 75 watt bulb but the basking spot is not warm enough only gets to about 90.

How do you regulate this? The ambient tempature in the room is in the 80's.

I'm using a probe thermometer.

Thank you!

Solution
Sometimes you haft to set up a different basking spot for the UVB - place it in the middle of the tank he will go to the light he needs --- the 10 inches is pretty close for a T5 - I have a 120 gallon tank and 2 different basking spots - hot side and the middle of the tank 90's w/ the UVB - basking bulbs sit on top of screen where the UVB is in front of tank middle and inside -- and its fine if hes peaking his head out -- mine was doing that this morning
I'm glad that's normal. He just hasn't done it before.
We have a small hole screen on the top and it was kinda wavy. So i have been worried he wasn't getting enough uvb.

We were also having trouble getting things tall enough to have him close enough when it was on top. Could...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
We were using a 100 watt basking bulb and the cool side of the tank would be high 80's. So I went to a 50 and 75 watt bulb but the basking spot is not warm enough only gets to about 90.

How do you regulate this? The ambient tempature in the room is in the 80's.

I'm using a probe thermometer.

Thank you!
How big is the tank? Your tank will reflect the room temp of the house sometimes cooler at night and hotter during the day - is the tank near a window where it getting sun?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No sun it's in a dark room but it's upstairs in my daughter's room. It's a 40 gallon tank. He is about 4 months old.
Upstairs is hotter - heat rises so that is more than likely whats going on - I would move the tank downstairs to where there is more activity and not so hot unless your daughter spends a lot of time in her room - dragons like activity but the tank temp is important here --- is there a screen on the tank or a flat surface- could also be a ventilation issue -- just exploring as to why its so hot-- the dragon being 4 months should have a surface basking temp of 105-110 taken w / the probe

Last edited:

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
Like Karrieree mentioned, make sure your getting surface temps from a digital probe. If they are still too low you can try and find a light/fixture combo that does a better job concentrating the heat.

I have been dealing with the opposite issue and found that the smaller 5.5in domes create a relatively narrow band of heat. You can also look at PAR20-30 halogen bulbs that use reflectors in the light to deliver a tighter beam.

Zucchini

Original Poster
Upstairs is hotter - heat rises so that is more than likely whats going on - I would move the tank downstairs to where there is more activity and not so hot unless your daughter spends a lot of time in her room - dragons like activity but the tank temp is important here --- is there a screen on the tank or a flat surface- could also be a ventilation issue -- just exploring as to why its so hot-- the dragon being 4 months should have a surface basking temp of 105-110 taken w / the probe
Thank you so much for the help! We moved him down stairs to the livingroom. We are still working on the basking spot. It wasn't hot enough with the 100w to I tried a 150 was and that was to hot. I'm trying the 100w again. I also just moved his uvb inside just to make sure he is getting enough. That's a zoo med t5 10.0.

He is definitely mad about the change. He basked for awhile most of the day then went into his hide. Which he wasn't doing before the move.

Hopefully he snaps out of it. Is it normal for them to go in there hide a bit during the day?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you so much for the help! We moved him down stairs to the livingroom. We are still working on the basking spot. It wasn't hot enough with the 100w to I tried a 150 was and that was to hot. I'm trying the 100w again. I also just moved his uvb inside just to make sure he is getting enough. That's a zoo med t5 10.0.

He is definitely mad about the change. He basked for awhile most of the day then went into his hide. Which he wasn't doing before the move.

Hopefully he snaps out of it. Is it normal for them to go in there hide a bit during the day?
Yes they can hide in the cave - is he poking his head out? the distance for your T 5 should be 12-15 inches directly over a piece of basking decor

Zucchini

Original Poster
Yes they can hide in the cave - is he poking his head out? the distance for your T 5 should be 12-15 inches directly over a piece of basking decor
Yes...he is peaking his head out. His basking spot is probably 10 inches under the basking decor. But how do you get the basking spot and the ubv over the same basking spot. We are struggling to get everyone to fit. He has a 40 gal 36x18x18. I will send a picture in the morning.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes...he is peaking his head out. His basking spot is probably 10 inches under the basking decor. But how do you get the basking spot and the ubv over the same basking spot. We are struggling to get everyone to fit. He has a 40 gal 36x18x18. I will send a picture in the morning.
Sometimes you haft to set up a different basking spot for the UVB - place it in the middle of the tank he will go to the light he needs --- the 10 inches is pretty close for a T5 - I have a 120 gallon tank and 2 different basking spots - hot side and the middle of the tank 90's w/ the UVB - basking bulbs sit on top of screen where the UVB is in front of tank middle and inside -- and its fine if hes peaking his head out -- mine was doing that this morning

Zucchini

Original Poster
We have a small hole screen on the top and it was kinda wavy. So i have been worried he wasn't getting enough uvb.

We were also having trouble getting things tall enough to have him close enough when it was on top. Could I see a picture of your set up? It's really helpful. Thank you for all the help. It's so hard to get it all right when your starting out.

Once we get the basking spot figure out. I think we should be good. Until he is ready for a 120gal.

Solution

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)

We were also having trouble getting things tall enough to have him close enough when it was on top. Could I see a picture of your set up? It's really helpful. Thank you for all the help. It's so hard to get it all right when your starting out.

Once we get the basking spot figure out. I think we should be good. Until he is ready for a 120gal.
This is Blazes tank

Attachments

• New substrate Blaze 9-30-22.jpg
    New substrate Blaze 9-30-22.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 71

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom