Tank set up

Jchav

Hello, we upgraded our tank for our bearded dragon to a 200cmx80cmx60cm one. We are using a Exoterra 160 watt solar glo on one side about 29 inches from his basking spot. This is following the directions on the box for optimal UVB micro watts, which I believe is between 25 and 50 micro watts. We also have a intense basking spot bulb for extra heat on the hot side. His basking spot is between 100 and 105 degrees F. Cool side is about 80 degrees F. Is this setup correct?
Our bearded dragon has been closing his eyes a lot more but is eating normally, pooping normally and after being out of his terrarium for a while will explore and open his eyes. We are just worried that he keeps them closed when we pick him up which he didn’t do before. Then opens them after he has been out for a while. Please see tank to add suggestions!

Attachments

• D83441D8-654C-4980-840C-8CDF166AC993.jpeg
    D83441D8-654C-4980-840C-8CDF166AC993.jpeg
    264.4 KB · Views: 137

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello, we upgraded our tank for our bearded dragon to a 200cmx80cmx60cm one. We are using a Exoterra 160 watt solar glo on one side about 29 inches from his basking spot. This is following the directions on the box for optimal UVB micro watts, which I believe is between 25 and 50 micro watts. We also have a intense basking spot bulb for extra heat on the hot side. His basking spot is between 100 and 105 degrees F. Cool side is about 80 degrees F. Is this setup correct?
Our bearded dragon has been closing his eyes a lot more but is eating normally, pooping normally and after being out of his terrarium for a while will explore and open his eyes. We are just worried that he keeps them closed when we pick him up which he didn’t do before. Then opens them after he has been out for a while. Please see tank to add suggestions!
He does the eye closing in the tank under his MVB? If that is the case it could be the bulb - is he closing his eyes when you pet him? Looking at the tank I am not a fond one of permanent basking spots because if you need to move them you cant per say the temps or the issue w/ eye closing - you would need to adjust the lighting then instead of the decor piece -- I have heard the solar glo was a pretty good bulb but some dragons could have issues w / them - how does the dragon get to that shelf under the MVB? I see him sitting on the floor of the tank -- I would take the Solar Glo out and put in the intense basking bulb and see what he does w/ the eye thing - if he quits doing it you know its the bulb -- what is the long UVB you have in the tank - I would just use that one for his UVB - is it a Arcadia 12% bulb ? and I see its in a fixture / hood it has a reflector in it correct? Does he sit on that shelf under it?

Lobretto

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Verstappen and Checo
From what I see and have read you are definitely lacking uv. You can't rely on just a mvb uv basking bulb. That means the uv exposure is only in the basking spot on no where else. For an enclosure you size you are going to want a 24 inch t5 reptisun 10.0 uv bulb or Arcadia 12%. I see you have a t5 fixture in there but it's not being used. I'd honestly put a uv bulb in there as well. Other then that I'd maybe add easier access to that basking spot

Jchav

Original Poster
He does the eye closing in the tank under his MVB? If that is the case it could be the bulb - is he closing his eyes when you pet him? Looking at the tank I am not a fond one of permanent basking spots because if you need to move them you cant per say the temps or the issue w/ eye closing - you would need to adjust the lighting then instead of the decor piece -- I have heard the solar glo was a pretty good bulb but some dragons could have issues w / them - how does the dragon get to that shelf under the MVB? I see him sitting on the floor of the tank -- I would take the Solar Glo out and put in the intense basking bulb and see what he does w/ the eye thing - if he quits doing it you know its the bulb -- what is the long UVB you have in the tank - I would just use that one for his UVB - is it a Arcadia 12% bulb ? and I see its in a fixture / hood it has a reflector in it correct? Does he sit on that shelf under it?
Ok, thank you. I’ll try your suggestions.

Jchav

Original Poster
I put him in his old terrarium so I could make some adjustments to the new one. I made a larger platform for him and will add a ramp for easy access. This new pic is what I plan to do with the lighting. Do I need any other type of lighting? The other accessories are not setup in his terrarium yet because I was making adjustments. I will seal the wood in the new platform and add reptile carpet for better traction. Any other suggestions? Thanks!!

Attachments

• 58E8F81D-3D19-46EB-9BD3-B07B718D41AA.jpeg
    58E8F81D-3D19-46EB-9BD3-B07B718D41AA.jpeg
    280.2 KB · Views: 85

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I put him in his old terrarium so I could make some adjustments to the new one. I made a larger platform for him and will add a ramp for easy access. This new pic is what I plan to do with the lighting. Do I need any other type of lighting? The other accessories are not setup in his terrarium yet because I was making adjustments. I will seal the wood in the new platform and add reptile carpet for better traction. Any other suggestions? Thanks!!
Distance from the UVB bulb should be 12-15 inches directly above - did you swap out the intense bulb w/ the solar glo? If so have you noticed a difference in the eye thing going on? Reptile carpet is going to be a pain in the neck to keep clean -- a suggestion would be textured NON adhesive shelf liner or slated ceramic tile if hes in his forever home-- the tile would need to be cut w/ a tile saw to prevent jagged edges and measured inside the tank -- you can purchase this from your local home improvement stores -- you dont need any other lighting in the tank besides your UVB and a good clear bright white basking bulb of which I think you have - the ceramic heat emitter is good to have in the winter time and does not need to be used unless the tank is falling below 65 F and / or your dragon is sick - they are good to have for that --

Jchav

Original Poster
Distance from the UVB bulb should be 12-15 inches directly above - did you swap out the intense bulb w/ the solar glo? If so have you noticed a difference in the eye thing going on? Reptile carpet is going to be a pain in the neck to keep clean -- a suggestion would be textured NON adhesive shelf liner or slated ceramic tile if hes in his forever home-- the tile would need to be cut w/ a tile saw to prevent jagged edges and measured inside the tank -- you can purchase this from your local home improvement stores -- you dont need any other lighting in the tank besides your UVB and a good clear bright white basking bulb of which I think you have - the ceramic heat emitter is good to have in the winter time and does not need to be used unless the tank is falling below 65 F and / or your dragon is sick - they are good to have for that --
Ok, the distance from UVB will be perfect. I took out the MVB and just have the basking bulbs now. I put him back in his old terrarium with his Zoo med tube UVB light and his basking light that he has lived in for 7 months and was thriving in, until I fix this larger terrarium. He is still doing the eye closing and acting lethargic, not getting alert or opening his eyes when we walk into the room like he usually did before moving him to the big, new terrarium. BUT he does perk up and get very active for his crickets and is eating and pooping normally. Just sleeping a lot and not as active when we interact with him or take him out for his bath etc.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok, the distance from UVB will be perfect. I took out the MVB and just have the basking bulbs now. I put him back in his old terrarium with his Zoo med tube UVB light and his basking light that he has lived in for 7 months and was thriving in, until I fix this larger terrarium. He is still doing the eye closing and acting lethargic, not getting alert or opening his eyes when we walk into the room like he usually did before moving him to the big, new terrarium. BUT he does perk up and get very active for his crickets and is eating and pooping normally. Just sleeping a lot and not as active when we interact with him or take him out for his bath etc.
Ok so the moving back and forth could be why he's sleeping more- is he basking ? Are his eyes watering - swollen - closed shut? Post a pic of him please-- your not using a daytime bulb from Exo Terra are you? It's the intense bulb?

Jchav

Original Poster
Ok so the moving back and forth could be why he's sleeping more- is he basking ? Are his eyes watering - swollen - closed shut? Post a pic of him please-- your not using a daytime bulb from Exo Terra are you? It's the intense bulb?
A few days in his old terrarium and he is back to normal. I am thinking it was stress from being moved to a new terrarium and the lighting/ heat. Here is the final new terrarium set up with new lights. One 24 inch Arcadia 12% T5 UVB tube light over part of the basking area and the 3 basking bulbs are Lucky Reptile halogen Sun mini 35w. Any last suggestions? Thank you for all your help and advice.

Attachments

• C2C92061-74A9-4254-A147-2E851FD618F5.jpeg
    C2C92061-74A9-4254-A147-2E851FD618F5.jpeg
    193.4 KB · Views: 77

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
A few days in his old terrarium and he is back to normal. I am thinking it was stress from being moved to a new terrarium and the lighting/ heat. Here is the final new terrarium set up with new lights. One 24 inch Arcadia 12% T5 UVB tube light over part of the basking area and the 3 basking bulbs are Lucky Reptile halogen Sun mini 35w. Any last suggestions? Thank you for all your help and advice.
the tank looks real nice --- just watch his behavior he will tell you if anything is off in the tank

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom