Taking in unwanted beardy

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Dezzy is 5yo 18" F, Percy is 8yo 19" M
Ive found a 5yo male seemingly healthy bearded dragon that the original owners are not interested in keeping. It was originally for their kids but when the kids lost interest, the parents took over until they could rehome it.

Between now and when I pick him up some time in the coming weeks, I'd like to setup my plans for his care.

My current bearded dragon has been with me since she was 2 months old, so she grew up being acclimated to handling and I learned how she behaved as she grew up. I'm not familiar with acclimating a rehomed older beardy like this, and at the very least I need him to be comfortable coming out of the tank for cleaning purposes or me being in the tank for cleaning purposes. Any tips on introducing him to my home and myself with the least possible stress would be appreciated.

He needs a Viv upgrade from his current 75 gallon which will be coming within 6 weeks. My current beardy will be moved to her new tank which was planned before this anyways, and he will take her old 210 gallon tank. But aside from this, I also need to replace his substrate (reptile carpet) and possibly his decor which is mostly rocks or slate that don't look the most stable. I haven't seen it in person to confirm yet. Should I make the changes to his current tank immediately upon rehoming, or delay that to not add additional stress during rehome?

There's two concerns i have with his current care. His owners have fed him crickets, mixed leafy greens, blueberries, and strawberries on a regular basis. Aside from that, he also has a compact UVB bulb. I will be moving him to dubias, mixed greens, and an occasional treat instead. I will immediately replace the compact uvb with a tube on the day of picking him up. However my question aside from that is if I should have a vet check up sooner than later between the high sugar diet and compact UVB? Or if I should get one anyways with him being the second beardy in the house.

I know they need to be kept separate and I should wash my hands between handling either, so that is covered.

Any other misc tips or things i should know would be greatly appreciated, namely just because I took care of my current beardy from 2mo old so rehoming a 5yo will be new to me.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Yes definitely quarantine him, Tracie sells an adv test kit, i think it's 20 bucks or less. I would recommend getting it. Adv is contiguous. I would also collect a fecal sample to take to the vet to be checked for parasites. Beyond that, just spend time with him. I have a couple beardied that were neglected and mistreated. They have responded very well to being loved. It took a little bit to earn trust, but they are both super needy now.
Good luck with your new friend, i hope it goes smoothly for you 🙂

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Thank you! Could you link where to go for the adv kit by chance? What steps would I take in quarantining?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thank you! Could you link where to go for the adv kit by chance? What steps would I take in quarantining?
Get a hold of Tracie - you can PM her here on the forum - drache613 - not sure about the quarantine thing- other than keeping him away from the other dragon and washing the hands between the two- keeping the decor and food bowls separate etc

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Get a hold of Tracie - you can PM her here on the forum - drache613 - not sure about the quarantine thing- other than keeping him away from the other dragon and washing the hands between the two- keeping the decor and food bowls separate etc
I will PM her asap, thank you. Do I need to keep their tanks far apart? If so, how far? I keep reptiles in my office due to having a 1yo cat in the apartment, and the main place where the two tanks can be without them having line of sight of each other would be lined up on the one wall of the office within several feet of each other.

Even post-quarantine I don't know how much I'd plan on them being near each other. They're both 4-5yo and haven't been near other dragons since a few months old.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I will PM her asap, thank you. Do I need to keep their tanks far apart? If so, how far? I keep reptiles in my office due to having a 1yo cat in the apartment, and the main place where the two tanks can be without them having line of sight of each other would be lined up on the one wall of the office within several feet of each other.

Even post-quarantine I don't know how much I'd plan on them being near each other. They're both 4-5yo and haven't been near other dragons since a few months old.
Yes that is perfect for the tank placement - side by side w/ the sides being covered so they cannot see each other -- you do not want them seeing each other as that is going to stress them out -- Zen Habitats have bamboo sides and back so those are good tanks or you can look on symtonbsf.com and dubiaroaches.com for tanks w/ solid sides --- your going to use a 210 gallon tank ? What is the size of the UVB your using ?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I think most keep quarantined animals in a different room, but there shouldn't be any reason it can't be done in the same room. Just be careful about cross contamination of supplies and by handling. As soon as you have the test results and if they are negative then your good to go. The biggest thing is to protect your current beardie from bring something in on it.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Yes that is perfect for the tank placement - side by side w/ the sides being covered so they cannot see each other -- you do not want them seeing each other as that is going to stress them out -- Zen Habitats have bamboo sides and back so those are good tanks or you can look on symtonbsf.com and dubiaroaches.com for tanks w/ solid sides --- your going to use a 210 gallon tank ? What is the size of the UVB your using ?
The 210 gallon is a 42x24x48 two floor tank with a half floor in between. Basking bulbs on top and bottom and a UVB tube on top, I don't have uvb length off hand for it. Not the greatest design which is why it's being replaced for my current beardy. It will be temporary for the new one as well until I build the second 230 gallon tank (60x30x30 inches) later in the year. The 75 gallon that comes with the new beardy is glass sides, but the existing and new tanks will only have glass fronts not sides.

EDIT: the top basking spot is kept warmer than the bottom. Top is warmer in general. Dezzy spends the vast majority of her time on top.

I think most keep quarantined animals in a different room, but there shouldn't be any reason it can't be done in the same room. Just be careful about cross contamination of supplies and by handling. As soon as you have the test results and if they are negative then your good to go. The biggest thing is to protect your current beardie from bring something in on it.
I will definitely have separate supplies for each of them. Different food bowls, feeding tongs, separate containers of insects, etc. Wash hands and such between feeding or handling either of them. Shouldnt need to clean the tanks until post quarantine unless something contagious comes back positive. Unfortunately the only other room that the cat doesn't have access to is a walk in closet.

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The 210 gallon is a 42x24x48 two floor tank with a half floor in between. Basking bulbs on top and bottom and a UVB tube on top, I don't have uvb length off hand for it. Not the greatest design which is why it's being replaced for my current beardy. It will be temporary for the new one as well until I build the second 230 gallon tank (60x30x30 inches) later in the year. The 75 gallon that comes with the new beardy is glass sides, but the existing and new tanks will only have glass fronts not sides.

EDIT: the top basking spot is kept warmer than the bottom. Top is warmer in general. Dezzy spends the vast majority of her time on top.

I will definitely have separate supplies for each of them. Different food bowls, feeding tongs, separate containers of insects, etc. Wash hands and such between feeding or handling either of them. Shouldnt need to clean the tanks until post quarantine unless something contagious comes back positive. Unfortunately the only other room that the cat doesn't have access to is a walk in closet.
Ok w/ that being said what is the height on the top floor -- this is going to determine the bulb you use---- the 14% is going to be too strong for a lower height and if its not at least 12 inches your gonna haft to go w/ a T 8 then --- that would be a distance of 6-8 inches

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ok w/ that being said what is the height on the top floor -- this is going to determine the bulb you use---- the 14% is going to be too strong for a lower height and if its not at least 12 inches your gonna haft to go w/ a T 8 then --- that would be a distance of 6-8 inches
The top floor is 22-24" (idr which offhand) with a uvb 10.0 T5 HO hanging from ceiling. Planned out via taterbugs old charts

Edit: post from initial build before decor was put in. The top shelf now extends all the way to the left ramp and the middle shelf goes farther right now. This change was made not too long after initial design to give more floor space and prevent jumps. DIY Tank Decor | DIY | Bearded Dragon .org

Last edited:

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ok so the 14% would be good since you need a distance of 17-18 inches
Side note: ignore any comments in the post I linked. Any ideas there were largely abandoned for others.

Anyways. I intend on keeping that tank as is for a temporary solution until the second 60x30x30" tank is built. I'm getting new lights, decor, etc for the first new tank anyways. Decor from this tank can be moved to the second new one. Going to dispose of this 210G some how some day.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zazzep
Top Bottom