Take away food or wait till he becomes bigger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seleghari

Beardie name(s)
Morty
Well, it's 9am which is a little earlier in the day than I've been allowing him to have his once daily roach, but he found a rogue roach in his enclosure. So I put his collard greens in put him in his salad bowl and had him sit there while I spinkled the bee pollen on it. He tried to eat the pollen as it was falling but wouldn't eat it on the greens! Day 3 and he's definitely hungry but no bites today. Spoiled little brat!

Reza771

Original Poster
Day 4:

He seems very active and healthy, moving around and giving me strange looks. But no luck whatsoever with the salad... :/

When I put a salad piece in front of his face he licked it, ate nothing tough.

seleghari

Beardie name(s)
Morty
Day 4:

He seems very active and healthy, moving around and giving me strange looks. But no luck whatsoever with the salad... :/

When I put a salad piece in front of his face he licked it, ate nothing my guys perfectly happy and active as well.
Yeah, my guy is perfectly happy and active as well. Not phased in the least!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They are tough creatures, even as babies. I think people forget that in the wild, it's not uncommon for them to go days/weeks without finding a good meal. They are more than capable of surviving. They have access to the food you are providing, they are just stubborn. They will eat when they get hungry enough.

-Brandon

Reza771

Original Poster
They are tough creatures, even as babies. I think people forget that in the wild, it's not uncommon for them to go days/weeks without finding a good meal. They are more than capable of surviving. They have access to the food you are providing, they are just stubborn. They will eat when they get hungry enough.

-Brandon
I am definitely experiencing that.

Today (Day 5) he is active as normal but he did something that gave me a tiny bit of hope. Twice I saw him move to the salad bowl and lick it very quickly, then move away. Guess that may be the light at the end of the tunnel :D.

Aswell when I dropped water on his nose today, he actually drank a lot to the point he was gasping a couple of times after. At least I know that he is well hydrated, I wonder if I could mix some of his calcium powder with the water?:unsure:

seleghari

Beardie name(s)
Morty
Thanks for the reminder that they are hardy, it helps to hear. Just not so certain my little guy would still be kicking it if he was living in the wild....pretty sure a little natural selection woulda seen him eaten by now. Poor little man will be 8 months old on the 7th and is only 9.5in and 83g.

However, today day 4, I smashed up a whole bunch of blueberries (15ish) and put them on his mustard greens and he had a few bites! We're making progress!!!! He had a marvelously wet poop for someone not eating. And he officially shed his tail!

Great luck seeing him go to his salad bowl! Only bites I've seen Morty take are when I place him in his bowl.

Reza771

Original Poster
Day Nr. 6:

My Beardy had a full body shed today! Lost most of his shed in the enclosure, then I gave him a bath and he lost the rest, I helped him a bit with his fingers since there was some skin stuck there.

I think because of the shedding stress he showed no interest in eating today, but since that's over now I hope tomorrow there will be some improvement.

Reza771

Original Poster

-Brandon
Guys! I am so happy!

So a couple of minutes ago, after his shed, he was chilling on his basking rock. I took some salad leaves and rolled them on the rock back and forth and he started eating! I took more and as well some pieces of blueberries and he ate!

I really felt like rewarding him with a bug but he didn't eat a full meal and I don't want to ruin the progress, so advice would be well appreciated here!

seleghari

Beardie name(s)
Morty
Guys! I am so happy!

So a couple of minutes ago, after his shed, he was chilling on his basking rock. I took some salad leaves and rolled them on the rock back and forth and he started eating! I took more and as well some pieces of blueberries and he ate!

I really felt like rewarding him with a bug but he didn't eat a full meal and I don't want to ruin the progress, so advice would be well appreciated here!
Maybe try a few small bugs mixed in with his salad see if that starts him off eating it? So long as it's not enough to fill him you shouldn't loose your progress. I'd think it should just help peek his interest.

Reza771

Original Poster
Maybe try a few small bugs mixed in with his salad see if that starts him off eating it? So long as it's not enough to fill him you shouldn't loose your progress. I'd think it should just help peek his interest.
For today it's already too late, his lights are off now. I will see what happens tomorrow.

seleghari

Beardie name(s)
Morty
Ha ha ha ha....so right before lights out my rabid little carnivore tried to eat the family dog! I had him out for socialization and exercise and he went up to her buried himself in her fur and started trying to eat her fur. I guess she smelled better than his salads. I had to pull fur out of his mouth! It was so freaking adorable! And no it wasn't aggressive at all....just mistook her for food. So hopefully tomorrow I'll win out!

Last edited:
Im so tired of people withholding insects. It is their main damn meal. If a bearded dragon will not eat salads let them be. This is abuse withholding insects that is their main diet. I agree with the breeder. Bearded dragons are not iguanas. Iguanas will eat salads but a bearded dragon should never eat salads. It is not their main diet.
Salads should only be used if insects are not available.

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
Im so tired of people withholding insects. It is their main damn meal. If a bearded dragon will not eat salads let them be. This is abuse withholding insects that is their main diet. I agree with the breeder. Bearded dragons are not iguanas. Iguanas will eat salads but a bearded dragon should never eat salads. It is not their main diet.
Salads should only be used if insects are not available.
They eat plenty of green leafy things in the wild. They absolutely should be eating salads. It is animal abuse to not provide and encourage a complete and well rounded diet. Too much protein is not healthy for them. If they were meant to only eat bugs they would be carnivores, not omnivores.

seleghari

Beardie name(s)
Morty
My three children would whole heartedly agree that being forced to eat their vegetables is abuse. (So would my husband for that matter.) I am an oddity in my own house it seems! However, this isn't what this thread is about....so

Since my guy tried eating not only my puppy, but also my hair last night. I have plans to go buy him some alfalfa spouts and try him on those today! Kinda like hair/fur right!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom