Tail rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beezylee

Hi, I have had my beardie for almost 8 years now. He has never had any severe problems or issues w feeding, his health, his behavior, ect. He has always been a happy comfy dragon. But recently his appetite decreased and he has a discoloration on his tail. Like a huge spot. It all started at once. Like the spot was already pretty big when it started. I am really concerned and have no idea what it is. He has been shedding pretty normal, and it showed up his last shed. It has gotten a little bigger since. One of his scales is missing at the end of the spot too and worsened in the last week or so. It’s making his mobility weird like he is in pain from it or something. Like I said no previous health concerns, no changes before. He is still moving around but when he does he sometimes falls-flips himself over. And he also acts as if his tail is heavy like it’s weighing him down. I’m really worried about him and what it could be? Please help! I’ve never had to deal w rot tail or any other emergency concerning him before. We’ve both been very fortunate to not have issues. But now I’m at a stand still. He’s my baby and I’ve had him for so long, I hate feeling or knowing he’s in pain and idk how to fix it. Or where to start.

Attachments

• B46D2891-1450-48D7-B58D-6ECC7D8E59C2.jpeg
    B46D2891-1450-48D7-B58D-6ECC7D8E59C2.jpeg
    267.6 KB · Views: 137
  • 28945873-42B0-405C-8B3D-BD1EAF552650.jpeg
    28945873-42B0-405C-8B3D-BD1EAF552650.jpeg
    219.8 KB · Views: 80

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That doesn't look good, but I'm not sure what the cause is. It looks a bit like a burn. Could he have gotten near lights or anything hot that would cause that? It's possibly a fungal or bacterial infection, but I'd expect that to grow over time rather than appear suddenly. The one damaged scale makes me wonder if something happened there and has spread. Maybe an insect bite or something like that? Since it seems to be affecting him, I'd probably have a vet check it out and see if anything is going on under the surface and maybe do a skin test to see if there is something causing infection.

beezylee

Original Poster
That doesn't look good, but I'm not sure what the cause is. It looks a bit like a burn. Could he have gotten near lights or anything hot that would cause that? It's possibly a fungal or bacterial infection, but I'd expect that to grow over time rather than appear suddenly. The one damaged scale makes me wonder if something happened there and has spread. Maybe an insect bite or something like that? Since it seems to be affecting him, I'd probably have a vet check it out and see if anything is going on under the surface and maybe do a skin test to see if there is something causing infection.
I thought it look liked a burn as well at first. And he’s had it for almost 3 weeks now from when I noticed it. But his lights are far up… I did get a new bulb around then… but it’s the same I always get for his enclosure. I gave him a bath the other day to clean it.. that’s when I noticed the scale missing… the only bugs he has in his tank is meal worms and Krickets… sometimes an occasional beetle that was a meal worm because it got out and grew… could that bite him? I’ve never had a problem w those before…he doesn’t have any dirt or sand in his enclosure I use tile for half the cage..used it for years now where he eats and drinks…and the other half is the desert carpet… that I disinfect or throw out and buy a new one… and a cut in half pillow case I used for his blanket Lolol he likes blankets… but I redid his enclosure when I noticed it and disinfected everything, got him a new tile and carpet and put in a new pillowcase…but it does look bacterial or like a burn. He’s never unattended either… so I’m not sure. I’ll have to look up the vet. Thank you!

beezylee

Original Poster
I thought it look liked a burn as well at first. And he’s had it for almost 3 weeks now from when I noticed it. But his lights are far up… I did get a new bulb around then… but it’s the same I always get for his enclosure. I gave him a bath the other day to clean it.. that’s when I noticed the scale missing… the only bugs he has in his tank is meal worms and Krickets… sometimes an occasional beetle that was a meal worm because it got out and grew… could that bite him? I’ve never had a problem w those before…he doesn’t have any dirt or sand in his enclosure I use tile for half the cage..used it for years now where he eats and drinks…and the other half is the desert carpet… that I disinfect or throw out and buy a new one… and a cut in half pillow case I used for his blanket Lolol he likes blankets… but I redid his enclosure when I noticed it and disinfected everything, got him a new tile and carpet and put in a new pillowcase…but it does look bacterial or like a burn. He’s never unattended either… so I’m not sure. I’ll have to look up the vet. Thank you!
Oh and his wood and hammock..

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If the lighting is out of reach and has been the same, that helps rule out a burn. If crickets are left in the tank with him after meal time, it's possibly a cricket bite. Those are known to happen sometimes and can be problematic. Usually when they are in large groups and the dragon is smaller though. If he hasn't been outside of the enclosure or in contact with other dragons, a fungal infection is less likely, I'd think. Keep a close eye on the damaged scale for signs of it looking worse. A topical antibiotic cream like neosporin may be helpful, but if the problem is infection and it has spread beyond that scale, a vet consultation is probably best. Please keep me posted on how he's doing =)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor guy, can you post a full pic of his enclosure, including the lights ? Does anyone else take him out besides you ? You can apply unpasteurized honey to it, it's an antimicrobial and works well on wounds. Just be sure there are no poose insects in the enclosure if you use honey. Silver sulfadiazene cream is another option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom