Tail rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Okay, I literally fed him 1 bsfl then would wait 30 seconds then feed another. I hope that will work. I got the temperature up to 90 on the warm side depending on where I put the sensor. I think I may need to use a higher watt bulb with a dimmer because I would imagine as it gets colder it will be harder to keep those temperatures.
I would put 20 BSFL on top of his salads the veggies are going to slow him down on eating them so fast

Beansbanana

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I would put 20 BSFL on top of his salads the veggies are going to slow him down on eating them so fast
Okay I will try that. One thing I have noticed is that today when he is basking he is not as dark like he was. Do you think that's okay?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Okay I will try that. One thing I have noticed is that today when he is basking he is not as dark like he was. Do you think that's okay?
That is good when they get dark or black they are trying to absorb heat --- are you getting dubias on line?

Beansbanana

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
That is good when they get dark or black they are trying to absorb heat --- are you getting dubias on line?
I have some that I ordered from the breeder and some that I got from Rainbow Mealworms, but I fed them some oranges and the breeder recommended waiting a couple of days to let the oranges get out of their system.
So when I just checked on him, he was pretty dark while basking. Before today, he just was dark basically all the time except for first thing in the morning.

Beansbanana

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I have some that I ordered from the breeder and some that I got from Rainbow Mealworms, but I fed them some oranges and the breeder recommended waiting a couple of days to let the oranges get out of their system.
So when I just checked on him, he was pretty dark while basking. Before today, he just was dark basically all the time except for first thing in the morning.
He is 4 months old, I guess I never mentioned that.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok feed the roaches --- he can eat them - I would order some from here they are the cheapest place I have found and are very good -- order him some super worms medium and horn worms small --- they grow really fast I would get a small amount not alot because they will out grow him --- keep them in a cooler place so they dont grow so fast ---
www.dubiaroaches.com I would set up a 10 gallon tote / or glass tank and keep them in there - its good to start ordering now last year people had hard time getting live feeders especially from pet stores --- I would order around 200 of them if you can -- feed them dubia food along w/ dubia dew for hydration feed them at nite - you can also feed them fruit squash carrots no carrots for the dragon tho too much Vit A --
you need to start feeding him more than you are BSFL are too small to be fed as few as you are --- that is why its good to have the dubias too -- feeding the correct size he wont eat as many and they will fill him up--- also go to large BSFL ---- you can order nutri grubs from dubiaroaches

Beansbanana

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok feed the roaches --- he can eat them - I would order some from here they are the cheapest place I have found and are very good -- order him some super worms medium and horn worms small --- they grow really fast I would get a small amount not alot because they will out grow him --- keep them in a cooler place so they dont grow so fast ---
www.dubiaroaches.com I would set up a 10 gallon tote / or glass tank and keep them in there - its good to start ordering now last year people had hard time getting live feeders especially from pet stores --- I would order around 200 of them if you can -- feed them dubia food along w/ dubia dew for hydration feed them at nite - you can also feed them fruit squash carrots no carrots for the dragon tho too much Vit A --
you need to start feeding him more than you are BSFL are too small to be fed as few as you are --- that is why its good to have the dubias too -- feeding the correct size he wont eat as many and they will fill him up--- also go to large BSFL ---- you can order nutri grubs from dubiaroaches
Okay, I do have some hornworms also. I was just going light on the bugs today since he threw up yesterday. I did feed him a tiny bit of carrot, I hope thats okay, the list I had said carrots were okay occasionally.

Beansbanana

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Okay, I do have some hornworms also. I was just going light on the bugs today since he threw up yesterday. I did feed him a tiny bit of carrot, I hope thats okay, the list I had said carrots were okay occasionally.
Can you share a link that you follow about the foods a dragon can eat if you have one please? Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Can you share a link that you follow about the foods a dragon can eat if you have one please? Thanks!
Nutrition Content ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
www.symtonbsf.com
www.reptilianarts.com silk worms and roaches and super worms
www.mulberryfarms.com hornworms butter worms and BSFL --- this place has gotten to spendy for me for shipping -- they were always high but now its like outrageous
Fluker Farms - Order Live Crickets, Mealworms, Superworms this place has great super worms- they are large only so your 4 month old wont be able to eat them till around 6 months --- they have the best ones I have seen - they come in a tube so you would need plastic containers w/ lids w/ holes and you can feed them regular oat meal w/ carrots for hydration -- or get bran for them and the only place I found bran was mulberryfarms - so I am feeding mine regular oatmeal --

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
yes they are fine as long as your not feeding them to the insect feeders

Beansbanana

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
yes they are fine as long as your not feeding them to the insect feeders
Thanks for the links! I just looked and my Arcadia bulb and lamp should come on Monday. I had ordered it a long time ago before I found this forum and I had ordered the 36 inch 14%. My thinking at the time was that I could set it on top of the wire lid. You recommended the 12%. Should I send back the bulb for a 12%? Also, do you think the 36 inch is okay or should I get a shorter one.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thanks for the links! I just looked and my Arcadia bulb and lamp should come on Monday. I had ordered it a long time ago before I found this forum and I had ordered the 36 inch 14%. My thinking at the time was that I could set it on top of the wire lid. You recommended the 12%. Should I send back the bulb for a 12%? Also, do you think the 36 inch is okay or should I get a shorter one.
Size of the tank please? If its a 40 gallon I would get a shorter one 24" this one seems to do fine in larger tanks like 75-120 gallon unless you plan to get bigger than a 120 gallon then you could keep the 36" -- but its up to you - the 14% bulb needs distance of at least 17-18 inches w/ out screen but if you leave it on the screen it would need less distance --- you could go w/ the Pro T 5 Arcadia 12% from here and have that fixture in a few days -- the reason for the shorter fixture is you dont want your dragon having to hide from the UVB - he needs to be able to sit in his tank w/ out having to hide from the rays - the 24 " fixture is going to give him that option w/ out having the fixture take up most of the room -

Beansbanana

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Size of the tank please? If its a 40 gallon I would get a shorter one 24" this one seems to do fine in larger tanks like 75-120 gallon unless you plan to get bigger than a 120 gallon then you could keep the 36" -- but its up to you - the 14% bulb needs distance of at least 17-18 inches w/ out screen but if you leave it on the screen it would need less distance --- you could go w/ the Pro T 5 Arcadia 12% from here and have that fixture in a few days -- the reason for the shorter fixture is you dont want your dragon having to hide from the UVB - he needs to be able to sit in his tank w/ out having to hide from the rays - the 24 " fixture is going to give him that option w/ out having the fixture take up most of the room -
Ok, its the 4x2x2 zen habitat

Beansbanana

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I agree, he may have just eaten too fast or if the temp. was not hot enough that could be a factor. Make sure the tougher type of greens, like collards, are cut up pretty good. How big were the dubias, can you show a picture of one next to your dragon ? If they were too big that might have caused the vomiting.
His tail tip is probably going to fall off but I'm trying to see if it's indented about 2 inches up the tail ? Or does it just look like that where the color bands change. ?
It is indented about 2 inches up. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG-4164.jpg
    IMG-4164.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 58

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It is indented about 2 inches up. What do you think?
I think it looks ok no black so that is good -- ok the 120 gallon is good for your UVB and the 14% bulb I would still put in the tank --- I had used the 14% in my Zen and had it strapped to the top of the screen in the middle of the tank - the pic I posted earlier is w/ the T 5 bulb now - I will post a pic of Blazes tank w/ the 14% bulb -- you can use this for hanging your fixture it works great I am using it now its like a Velcro strap cut into strips and wrap around your fixture -- use the bars running across the screen for your UVB -- GE 15 ft. Cable Ties, Hook and Loop Spool, Black-10375 - The Home Depot

Attachments

• Better pic of Blazes tank 10-10-5-2019.jpg
    Better pic of Blazes tank 10-10-5-2019.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 55
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom